PDA

View Full Version : System Problems

netviper13
10-25-02, 07:59 PM
Well unlike most help requests, I'm pretty sure I have the cause of the problem, but I figured I'd check it with you all to see what your opinions are.

Here's the problem: My main rig won't boot up. What do I mean by that? Well the fans spin up, the heatsink gets warm, and the drives light up; but there's no beep from the speaker indicating POST and my monitor never comes out of standby. I've tried different monitors so that's definitely not the problem.

Here's what all I did to attempt to solve the problem: Replaced the video card, replaced the memory, etc. The final step I did was to confirm that the system was not POSTing. I know the speaker is working, so I removed the video card from the system and turned it on. If it was POSTing, I should have gotten 8 or so beeps alerting me to no video card, but there were no beeps.

So that gets me to what I think the problem is: By reviewing the boot order of the system (CPU, Power Good, POST, then the rest of the bootstrap process) I narrowed it down to either bad CPU or bad PSU (thus Power Good wire not getting lit up). After replacing the CPU with a known good one and still having the same issues, I'm convinced it's the PSU. I wish I had another PSU to put in, but the computer I'm typing on is an old Dell and I already tried and failed to use its PSU in the computer.

So what do you all think?

thcdru2k
10-25-02, 08:01 PM
hmm..try to reset your cmos somehow..if there isn't a jumper, u can try popping out the silver battery thing, and putting it back in.

Starscream
10-25-02, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by netviper13
the computer I'm typing on is an old Dell and I already tried and failed to use its PSU in the computer.

Are you saying you used a dell powersupply on a non dell motherboard?!?!?

If so you likely damaged (if not outright killed) the motherboard and maybe even some of the other components.

netviper13
10-25-02, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Starscream
Are you saying you used a dell powersupply on a non dell motherboard?!?!?

If so you likely damaged (if not outright killed) the motherboard and maybe even some of the other components.

Nah, nothing happened at all when I plugged in the Dell PSU. I've had this no-POST problem before and all I did was replace the PSU temporarily, boot up once with a new one, and then put the old PSU back in and it worked fine. I should think a PSU for an ATX board wouldn't damage other boards anyways.

As for the clear-CMOS solution, I tried that. I used the clear-CMOS jumper as well as removing the battery and it was still a no-go.

PsychoSy
10-26-02, 08:48 AM
Here's a way to narrow it down...

Power up the system for 5-10 seconds.
Then, hit the reset button on the case.
If it POSTs after the reset, you know it's the PSU.
If not, then the board likely went tits up on you. :(

Starscream
10-26-02, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by netviper13
I should think a PSU for an ATX board wouldn't damage other boards anyways.

The thing is dell's power supplies are NOT atx. Yes they have the same plug but they do not put out the same voltages on the same wires.

netviper13
10-26-02, 01:05 PM
Stupid Dell, lol. They forget that the computer industry thrives on standards; damn monopolizing punks.

I still don't think my board is fried, because I've had this exact same problem before; the way I solved it was to take an extra ATX PSU (not from the Dell, lol) and plug it in and boot up the system. The system would boot, and I could put the original PSU back in and it would work. Unfortunately I sold the PSU to a friend so I don't have any extras sitting around the house. I do have a nice new Enermax 430w PSU coming in via FedEx, but we can't get deliveries here on the weekend; so I'll let you all know Monday if the PSU is indeed the problem.

outriding9800
10-27-02, 01:47 AM
i would start pulling things you dont need.

like the floppy
sound card .. etc.

just leave the hd and video. ( dont even bother with the keyboard and mouse )

not only unplug the ribbon cable but also the power to the device

i have seen that before that a device is gounding / not grounding to the case.

netviper13
10-27-02, 01:20 PM
Yep I've done that too, lol. Started with just CPU, memory, and video card; and still nothing going. I've tried every possible configuration I could think of and haven't made any progress.

outriding9800
10-27-02, 08:21 PM
well i am stumpted.

maybe you can try this ....

http://www.theregister.co.uk/media/911.jpg

netviper13
10-27-02, 08:24 PM
Hahahaha, wow that's one of the more interesting setups I've ever seen.

Back on the topic, my new PSU gets here tomorrow, so after school I'll install it and update everyone on whether or not it solved the problems.

thcdru2k
10-27-02, 08:25 PM
computers in the ghetto

netviper13
10-28-02, 10:08 PM
Well I got in my nice new Enermax PSU today, and sure enough problem solved. Booted up nicely the first time after installing this baby. It's good to be back on my baby.

The Baron
10-28-02, 10:28 PM
Nothing like a good quality PSU... I mean, they go great when you put them in a little water and add a little *bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt*

....ow.

:p