PDA

View Full Version : 6800GT frame rate fluctuations

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

jsn117
07-24-04, 04:20 AM
For the most part my new 6800GT is kicking ass on 61.76, maintaining high frame rates in most games. But my problem is while it can maintain high rate, it will drop down into the 20's and 10's for a second or two, causing major lag. This happens in games including Splinter Cell: PT, MVP Baseball 2004, Far Cry, Ground Control, etc.

what's to blame for this?

/edit in case this doesn't show up in my sig

Antec P-160 Case
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
AthlonXP 3000+ @ 2.34 Ghz | SP-97 w/Antec 92mm fan
PNY 6800GT @ 433/1160
Raptor 74 Gb HD | Seagate 200 Gb
1 Gb PC-3200 Corsair VS DDR400
Sparkle 400w PSU

YOGIx213
07-24-04, 05:01 AM
I think it might just be driver issues. I get some lag once in a while on MVP Baseball but nothing to really bother me. I think with this new chip/technology, it will take a little time to perfect these drivers. The 61.76 is working well for me now, but I can see much room for improvement. I look forward to 61.77. :clap:

3madcows
07-24-04, 05:40 AM
Have you had the same trouble with a different driver set? I'd suspect something else causing it, such as hard disk access. If you hit an area where the game hasn't loaded everything yet, it can do this. Also, the game itself, or another app may be eating up CPU cycles at that point. Does this happen more often when new things start appearing on the screen? Try to minimize background tasks if possible, and set your swap file/page file to a fixed size to prevent Windows from automatically resizing whenever it wants. If you want, you can also check the BIOS settings and disable fast writes to see if that helps.

jsn117
07-24-04, 06:39 AM
I can't go too far back, only very recent NV drivers officially support the 6800 series. I have a 10,000 rpm hard drive. even though it's performance is that of a 7200rpm...dont get me started...I don't think that's the bottleneck. I have very few processes running while gaming. Fast write makes no difference either.

I now can't get over 30 frames/sec in Splinter Cell PT....wtf..

saintall99
07-24-04, 07:56 AM
I've got the same problem with 61.7x driver, now I am using 62.20beta and it seems get better..try turning on the V-sync may also help

jsn117
07-25-04, 06:50 AM
I tryed the 62.20beta and its not any better.

the weird part is now I have FRAPS open, and games will lag (freeze up) for a second, then return to normal, but the frame rate will only drop to the 30's. So i'm experiencing horrible lag with decent frame rates.....why? :retard:

Bantu
07-25-04, 08:04 AM
Do you have virus scan or running in the background while gaming?

saturnotaku
07-25-04, 08:11 AM
The symptoms you're seeing are indicative of your video card memory clock speed being set too high. Drop it down by 10-20 MHz and your problems should go away.

jsn117
07-25-04, 06:30 PM
no, the clocking down the memory does nothing.

i'll tell you what the problem is...crap ass drivers and horrible hardware compatibility from nvidia. All the games that ran like silk on my old 9800 run like **** with my 6800GT. Yeah, Far cry runs great. big freaking deal, nothing else does!

/X800XT preorder not canceled

dnottis
07-25-04, 06:43 PM

i'll tell you what the problem is...crap ass drivers and horrible hardware compatibility from nvidia. All the games that ran like silk on my old 9800 run like **** with my 6800GT. Yeah, Far cry runs great. big freaking deal, nothing else does!

Sometimes quality of gameplay is more important that quantity of framerate. I'm having similar issues - my X800 was very smooth even though it got beat in terms of raw performance. The problem is that all reviews show the raw power of the 6800 GT and neglect to have a reviewer play a few gamers to truly "experience" the hardware they are reviewing. I have a feeling if the reviewers would actually fire up a few games (older and newer) and play them (instead of just benchmarking them) the perception of the GT being the "choice" card right now would differ.

burningrave101
07-25-04, 07:05 PM

nVidia is having to construct completely new drivers for the 6800's. Their still in beta stages even if nVidia finally released the WHQL 61.76's on their site. It will take a while to work out all the bugs and get performance up to its fullest potential on the 6800's.

And you might as well cancel that X800XT pre-order because you aren't getting anything. Gateway already told several people they aren't shipping any more X800XT's and they offered them an X800Pro in its place. And CDW has missed all their shipments. ATI wont have them for sale on their site for another couple of months probably. We'll be heading into the fall refresh before PE's start hitting the market in any quantity lol.

Sometimes quality of gameplay is more important that quantity of framerate. I'm having similar issues - my X800 was very smooth even though it got beat in terms of raw performance. The problem is that all reviews show the raw power of the 6800 GT and neglect to have a reviewer play a few gamers to truly "experience" the hardware they are reviewing. I have a feeling if the reviewers would actually fire up a few games (older and newer) and play them (instead of just benchmarking them) the perception of the GT being the "choice" card right now would differ.

No. I dont think so. I've heard MORE then a few people who upgraded to a 6800GT from an X800Pro say that gameplay was smoother on the GT. And HardOCP manually runs through all the games that they test. They use FRAPS in-game. If anyone would point out the fact its smoother on the X800Pro they would. And they didn't. They declared the 6800GT the obvious winner.

The 6800GT can overclock and achieve performance results the X800Pro will never see because of being only a 12 pipeline card. You would have to soft mod a VIVO to an X800XT to even compete. Especially in DOOM 3 lol. :nanahump:

dnottis
07-25-04, 07:20 PM
No. I dont think so. I've heard MORE then a few people who upgraded to a 6800GT from an X800Pro say that gameplay was smoother on the GT. And HardOCP manually runs through all the games that they test. They use FRAPS in-game. If anyone would point out the fact its smoother on the X800Pro they would. And they didn't. They declared the 6800GT the obvious winner.

The 6800GT can overclock and achieve performance results the X800Pro will never see because of being only a 12 pipeline card. You would have to soft mod a VIVO to an X800XT to even compete. Especially in DOOM 3 lol. :nanahump:

Well from my own personal experience the GT is NOT smoother than the x800 and from the others that are experiencing the same thing the same can be said. So now you've heard from MORE than a few people that are NOT saying gameplay is smoother on the GT... :nanahump:

burningrave101
07-25-04, 08:36 PM
Well from my own personal experience the GT is NOT smoother than the x800 and from the others that are experiencing the same thing the same can be said. So now you've heard from MORE than a few people that are NOT saying gameplay is smoother on the GT... :nanahump:

And where are all these people that have went from X800Pro's to 6800GT's and think that? And in what games is this "smoother effect" occurring?

jsn117
07-25-04, 08:42 PM
nVidia is having to construct completely new drivers for the 6800's. Their still in beta stages even if nVidia finally released the WHQL 61.76's on their site. It will take a while to work out all the bugs and get performance up to its fullest potential on the 6800's.

I'm really getting sick of this ****. I buy a raptor HD, only to find out windows' Sata SUCKS....and I have to wait for SP2 to see any improvement...supposedly. Now I get a 6800GT to find out 90% of the games I own run like ****, only to hear promises of "it'll get better." I was never told to wait for better performance when I owned a new ATi video card, they all worked perfectly out of the box.

So I buy a mobo that has HORRIBLE onboard sata, and a video card that flat out CANT run 90% of the games I own, both of which got raving reviews everywhere I looked. I'm never believing another damn online hardware review again. :fu:

SigmaOrionis
07-25-04, 09:49 PM
I gotta say threads like this definitely have me concerned. This is why I bought my card from BestBuy. If I get any of this stuttering I'll be returning the 6800GT real fast. I'm definitely not going to sit back and convince myself that a few months down the road a driver is going to fix the issue, because by then you're stuck with the card.

I've got to ask though JSN have you tried returning your whole system to default speeds. Just try it if you would. Because when I see someone with problems and then there whole system is running out of spec. That is the first thing I think unstable overclock.

I'm not sure but does your board have a locking AGP/PCI divider. Maybe your processor overclock has your AGP out of spec. The 6800GT might be more sensitive to this then your 9800Pro was.

jsn117
07-25-04, 10:23 PM
Yeah, after I got a 7000 3dMark03 I returned my CPU to stock speeds...

Its a driver issue. Nvidia released hardware they can't backup, period. I'm VERY close to ebaying my GT

GravY
07-25-04, 10:43 PM
then Ebay it and shut up.. ;)

dnottis
07-25-04, 10:52 PM
I'm really getting sick of this ****. I buy a raptor HD, only to find out windows' Sata SUCKS....and I have to wait for SP2 to see any improvement...supposedly. Now I get a 6800GT to find out 90% of the games I own run like ****, only to hear promises of "it'll get better." I was never told to wait for better performance when I owned a new ATi video card, they all worked perfectly out of the box.

Are you saying these issues are not there when using an IDE HD?

ICE_PIMP
07-25-04, 10:57 PM
jsn117: Dont blame the card since your the only one with these problems. Since you are alone it is either you or your hardware/hardware configuration

Try turning off fastwrite and se what happens...

EDIT: Saw that you already tried that

dnottis
07-25-04, 10:58 PM
I've tried that - no change for my issues.

jsn117
07-26-04, 02:42 AM
the main point I want to make is I can get frame rates in the 100's but every so often I'll dip into the 20's or 10's...it can't maintain it's rates

lapino
07-26-04, 03:08 AM
all I can say is, that after having a busted X800PRo which only lasted 2 weeks (!), I got a 6800GT now (bought one because I couldn't stand waiting for the X800Pro to return from RMA) and the 6800GT performs VERY VERY well. Seems this card is quite a bit less CPU dependant than the X800Pro. FarCry, UT2K4 etc run incredibly well, even with 4xAA and 16xAF!!

The 6800GT *IS* noisier though and I'm still not 100% convinced of the image quality (sometimes it looks better, sometimes it doesn't)

jsn117
07-26-04, 04:40 AM
Ok, I fixed it but it requiring a **** load of hacking driver files. If anyone else has this problem, PM and i'll walk you through it

Lfctony
07-26-04, 05:36 AM
You HACKED drivers to get this fixed? (ack)

quicksilver64
07-26-04, 05:40 AM
Ay JSN117... can you PM me what you did. Not that I have problems, I'm just curious what you did. By the way, before I bought my GT I had a 9800 Pro, a 9800 XT, an X800 Pro, and an X800 Pro VIVO modded to XT, and I can attest the smoothness of gameplay with my 6800 GT. Every game felt smoother despite running at stock speeds however; contraty to what people are saying, Far Cry did not run as well with the GT when compared to the modded VIVO. Plus, the VIVos were more OC friendly whereas the GT was very much buggy when OCing.

Other than that, the GT is an awesome value. I've ran it in several boards and it seems to be buggy with highly overclocked systems. To resolve this issue, I purchased a PC Power and Cooling 510 deluxe and rerouted my molex connectors as well as did several mods to my Shuttle AN50R and now everything is smooth as cake with a mild overclock of 430/1150. Of course I just sold my card, but the performace of the GT was WAY better than any videocard I have ever had.

I agree, don't correlate your misfortunes to your videocard as stability is dependant upon a number of things.