PDA

View Full Version : Geforce 6800 ultra shows as PCI not AGP

jeffa123
07-24-04, 07:58 AM
ASUS P4c800 Deluxe.
Geforce 6800 Ultra
768mb ram

no matter how many times I take the card out replace it etc it still comes up as PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0. is there an edit for the Windows XP registry for this?
The card works fine but this bugs me.

saturnotaku
07-24-04, 08:09 AM
AGP is a beefed up PCI bus. What you're seeing is normal.

Slyder
07-24-04, 08:44 AM
AGP is a beefed up PCI bus. What you're seeing is normal.

I disagree.

If it's what I think it is, I had the exact same problem.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kevin.robson2/security%20forums/pci.jpg

I forgot to install my motherboard drivers. (d*oh) Turns out I needed to i
nstall the latest VIA Hyperion 4 in 1 drivers. Spot the difference.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kevin.robson2/security%20forums/pci%20to%20agp.JPG

saturnotaku
07-24-04, 09:21 AM
I thought he was referring to a Sandra report (as that's how the program reports AGP). If the card shows up in the advanced display properties as PCI, then you need to reinstall your motherboard chipset drivers. If it's AGP in the control panel, you're fine. :)

laz007
07-25-04, 04:54 PM
I tried to get apg support for linux (Debian) and it wouldn't install!

laz007
07-25-04, 04:59 PM
I tried to get apg support for linux (Debian) and it wouldn't install!
I have a GeForce4 MMX 4000 (128Mb) ram, and I can't get it installed on my Debian system, I even tried NVIDIA's driver that I downloaded and still nothing! If I need different refresh rates, how do I find them without a manual? :drooling:

Gogeta
07-25-04, 08:51 PM
does it matter? which port did you put it in? AGP, right? So its AGP. People need to stop being so anal about what your computer says.

Slyder
07-27-04, 05:31 AM
People need to stop being so anal about what your computer says.

So if your bought a P4 3 gig cpu, and you seen it run at 2ghz, your wouldnt care ?

stncttr908
07-27-04, 10:05 AM
does it matter? which port did you put it in? AGP, right? So its AGP. People need to stop being so anal about what your computer says.
Excuse me, but it does matter. I remember a few years back when I upgraded my GF2MX to a Geforce 3 ti200 and it ran in PCI mode under Windows 98. I got a 3dmark2k1 score of around 2500, which was low for my system. I upgraded to XP and it ran in AGP 2x mode as it should, and I got almost 3400 in 2k1 afterwards.

superklye
07-28-04, 10:38 AM
just reinstall your chipset drivers...i had the same problem last night (Ti4400 running in AGP (PCI) mode) and when looking in the Device Manager I saw that SM Bus Controller had a driver issue. After I googled it, I found out it was the mobo chipset, so I went to Biostar, got the drivers and now: AGP 4x.

:)

Gogeta
07-28-04, 10:58 PM
So if your bought a P4 3 gig cpu, and you seen it run at 2ghz, your wouldnt care ?

not very smart are we. The question you pose above is completely moot and is not a valid comparison. Its physicaly IMPOSSIBLE for an AGP card run as a PCI card :rolleyes: But its perfecly possible for a 3ghz CPU to run at 2ghz.

saturnotaku
07-28-04, 11:03 PM
not very smart are we. The question you pose above is completely moot and is not a valid comparison. Its physicaly IMPOSSIBLE for an AGP card run as a PCI card :rolleyes: But its perfecly possible for a 3ghz CPU to run at 2ghz.

Actually, you're the one who's not very smart. The AGP bus is merely a variation on PCI, but in order for it to be run as such, the operating system must recognize the video card through the motherboard chipset drivers. Otherwise, Windows will fall back to PCI mode as a safety.