PDA

View Full Version : Plextor 712a is a d9 dual layer burner in china!?

yakumo
07-24-04, 10:50 AM
hoping plextor were making a d9 burner soon i was browsing for info, i really want a DVD-R atm, but have been holding out for a good dual layer one...

i found this however :

http://www.plextor.com.cn/product_detail.asp?nid=24

spot the D9 ?

tranlsate it with bablefish and you get

"* D9 form (one-sided double-decked) the DVD plate piece reads takes the speed to achieve world highest 12X"

double-decked jsut being one translation for dual layered....

so, how come the uk/us description doesn't mention this at all? whats going on? has anyone been able to burn dual layer disks with a 712a at all, let alone at 12x?

check it yourself, just google for plextor 712a d9 and you'll find lots of asian links, no english.

I really want one if it is, they've dropped £100 here in the last months or so... but want to know whats going on?

saturnotaku
07-24-04, 10:55 AM
I think that's a typo. I just bought the LG GSA-4120B which is a DL burner. It was less than US$100 - it's 12x DVD-R as well as a DVD+R DL. Plus there is a beta firmware that's floating around that allows for bitsetting.

yakumo
07-24-04, 12:25 PM
I think that's a typo. I just bought the LG GSA-4120B which is a DL burner. It was less than US$100 - it's 12x DVD-R as well as a DVD+R DL. Plus there is a beta firmware that's floating around that allows for bitsetting.

the nec 2510a is a duel layer burner (DL at 2.4x) and is only £54 (GBP) here, but i love plextor drives..

it's not weather or not it's 12x I'm bothered about (though it does say it's the 'worlds highest' (fastest)) it's weather or not the drive can do dual layer at all.

yakumo
07-25-04, 06:39 AM
t's been better translated for me on another forum (rpc1.com) now, it's 12x READ for DL, which is the fastest read for DL their is, it cant write them, yet, someone has said thir is a beta firmware that is in testing for DL but they don't think it will get released.

just have to wait for plextors next drive (probably px-716) to be released instead, or maybe bite the bullet skip on my dreams of plextor reliability, and go for the cheep n' cheerfull nec 2510a.

Son Goku
07-26-04, 05:11 AM
/me wishes they or someone still made these things for SCSI bus.

I did a little looking, there are still SCSI based DVD ROM drives, CD burners, etc, but no SCSI based DVD burner. I've got a SCSI disk system, and really am not looking to switch back to IDE. One seems to be SOL on finding a DVD burner as such though...

Githss
07-27-04, 11:59 AM
Probably a typo of some sort. Some sites have been doing this to get people to buy them, and when enough people complain, they just say it was a typo and appologize.