PDA

View Full Version : 6800GT Extra molex addon?

ICE_PIMP
07-24-04, 10:01 PM
I was thinking about this today when i was looking at my BFG 6800GT. At the area where there is the missing extra molex that the Ultras use, there are little led connectors and everything that needs for a molex to be connected. The only thing that is missing is actually just the molex connector. Couldnt you just somehow solder on a molex onto there? It is well known that the extra molex allows you to go past the 420-430mhz barrier with the GT's only one connector.

So what do you guys think? :rolleyes:

Raptorman
07-24-04, 10:02 PM
I was thinking about this today when i was looking at my BFG 6800GT. At the area where there is the missing extra molex that the Ultras use, there are little led connectors and everything that needs for a molex to be connected. The only thing that is missing is actually just the molex connector. Couldnt you just somehow solder on a molex onto there? It is well known that the extra molex allows you to go past the 420-430mhz barrier with the GT's only one connector.

So what do you guys think? :rolleyes:

If you don't mind voiding a warranty, give it a shot.

ICE_PIMP
07-24-04, 10:25 PM
If you don't mind voiding a warranty, give it a shot.

I really dont have the knowlage to do that kind of stuff :retard:
If i knew i probably would of. Any hardware modders out there up for the task?

saturnotaku
07-24-04, 10:26 PM
The difference between 420 and 440+ is negligible at best. Certainly not worth potentially destroying a $400 piece of hardware.

ICE_PIMP
07-24-04, 10:32 PM
The difference between 420 and 440+ is negligible at best. Certainly not worth potentially destroying a $400 piece of hardware.

Maby not for you? But there are others who have different oppinions you know

Clay
07-24-04, 10:39 PM
420 to 440 is a 4.5% increase. How that equates to performance improvements in games is, in fact, relatively small. Sure, others have differenet opinions but it doesn't mean they're right. ;) Also, the biggest point here is that trying to jerry-rig a molex connector onto a $400 video card is not the best idea considering the marginal (at best) performance gains that may/may not even result from this. The likliest outcome would be damage to the card unless you really know what you're doing.

evilchris
07-24-04, 10:49 PM
420 to 440 is a 4.5% increase. How that equates to performance improvements in games is, in fact, relatively small. Sure, others have differenet opinions but it doesn't mean they're right. ;) Also, the biggest point here is that trying to jerry-rig a molex connector onto a $400 video card is not the best idea considering the marginal (at best) performance gains that may/may not even result from this. The likliest outcome would be damage to the card unless you really know what you're doing.

I am 2M certified and can do it easily. I have my own $2000 MetCal soldering station at home =) It would be pointless though.

Clay
07-24-04, 10:50 PM
;) Like I said "unless you really know what you're doing". And yeah, it would be pointless. :D

saturnotaku
07-24-04, 10:53 PM

Not from what I'm reading so far.

ICE_PIMP
07-24-04, 10:54 PM
I sense a lack of the good old hardware modding spirits :drooling:
Although going from 420mhz (at max) core to maby 480mhz+ as we are seeing some Ultras hit i sure as hell se this as a really good hardmodd payoff. Especially when the card only goes for 399$.

Clay
07-24-04, 10:56 PM
I sense a lack of the good old hardware modding spirits :drooling:
Although going from 420mhz (at max) core to maby 480mhz+ as we are seeing some Ultras hit i sure as hell se this as a really good hardmodd payoff. Especially when the card only goes for 399$.
480? Air cooled? Where? I thought ~460 was the ceiling.

ICE_PIMP
07-24-04, 11:03 PM

Im not sure but theres a dude in Sweden that has 480 somewhere i beleive. Although i have done some further research and there are a few other components missing so it wont work anyway. oh well

I guess my dreams of being the inventor of breaking the 430mhz GT barrier got :nanahump:

Raptorman
07-24-04, 11:05 PM

I'm at 450 right now, and the temp only hits 78c. Maybe I can get some more out of it.

Carbon Unit
07-24-04, 11:13 PM
I wouldnt do it; wait for SLI

ICE_PIMP
07-24-04, 11:22 PM
I wouldnt do it; wait for SLI

That requires PCI Express. Wich = New 6800, New Mobo.... oh and another new 6800 :) And PCI Express versions will probably be a hell of alot more expensive then their AGP counterparts. And what does that all equal? oh roughly about 1000$ Now ARE YOU UP FOR THAT? (alf)

Raptorman
07-24-04, 11:27 PM
PCI-E is overrated imo. I'm going to wait til it matures before I buy into PCI-E anyway.

saturnotaku
07-24-04, 11:34 PM
I sense a lack of the good old hardware modding spirits

No, you're seeing a perponderance of common sense. Not that I don't applaud you for wanting to try, but you do have to be somewhat realistic here. ;)

|JuiceZ|
07-24-04, 11:36 PM
PCI-E is overrated imo. I'm going to wait til it matures before I buy into PCI-E anyway.

Agreed. Talking about a marginal perf increase, todays games just dont benefit from the added bandwidth because they're not even exceeding the AGP8x spec.

saturnotaku
07-24-04, 11:54 PM
Agreed. Talking about a marginal perf increase, todays games just dont benefit from the added bandwidth because they're not even exceeding the AGP8x spec.

Yes but you're forgetting all about the epen0s enchancement feature that comes standard with any PCI-E system you buy right now. :D

ICE_PIMP
07-25-04, 12:04 AM
My thougts on why ATi and nVIDIA are producing cards with PCI-E now is so by the time cards actually benefit from it everybody will be using PCI-E. So there will be no need for them to produce both AGP and PCI-E versions in the future. Because it WILL be more complicated to do it the longer up the road we go. Since it doesnt really matter weather its PCI-E or AGP on todays GPU's, now is the time. Lets say next generations cards do take advantage of the extra bandwidth. Releasing an AGP card will bottleneck the card. And too few people will have PCI-E mobos "since it isnt release untill then" ATi and nVIDIA will sell much less cards since people cant afford to get a new mobo when upgrading GPU