PDA

View Full Version : MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Riptide
07-24-04, 11:54 PM
Now taking preorders... :)

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=110228

Supposed ETA is July 28th...

netviper13
07-25-04, 01:22 AM
Looks like a pretty sweet board. But I'm still seriously considering holding out for the nForce4 and return of Soundstorm (if the rumors are legit that is).

Lfctony
07-25-04, 01:43 AM
I hate that AGP retention clip. Its nearly impossible to remove a video card like the 6800U which has a big sink above it.

Sazar
07-25-04, 02:01 AM
its a nice board... I'm likely moving to the socket 754 version of the k8n boards from msi :) see if with that cooler you are getting I can push my fsb into the 230 region (I really wish :D )

Lfctony
07-25-04, 03:29 AM
I ordered the Asus one.

Son Goku
07-25-04, 04:23 AM
Lfctony, did you get it with the Via chipset or the nForce3? I ask because looking both at the store and at Asus's website the only socket 939 board uses a Via chipset. If you got it with the nForce 3, then you got a socket 754. This is a socket 939 board in this thread. As Athlon 64s have more then one socket type, make sure you have a socket type to match the CPU you have/are getting...

Riptide
07-25-04, 08:59 AM
I hate all AGP retention clips. :)

Never seen one that wasn't a PITA at least to some degree. I've had a few motherboards I almost felt like filing the thing off of there it's such a nuisance. My Intel D875PBZLK was a real irritation in that regard. There were capacitors right around where the clip was and you needed 3 hands to get your card out of that slot.

Heh, I think this is kinda funny. This is the first motherboard I have ever preordered. :) Anyone else ever preorder a motherboard??

|JuiceZ|
07-25-04, 11:34 AM
its a nice board... I'm likely moving to the socket 754 version of the k8n boards from msi :) see if with that cooler you are getting I can push my fsb into the 230 region (I really wish :D )

Good choice :thumbsup: I've been running 240mhz fsb stable for weeks on crappy ram at that. Can run @ 250+ but doesn't make much of a diff perf wise. Just make sure you grab the latest bios when yers comes in.

Sazar
07-25-04, 06:29 PM
yah juce... looking @ your damn numbers is the only reason I am thinking of going back inside the case :(

its all your fault you tease...

:fu:

:D

I was thinking... given my higher multiplier that running even @ 220mhz would be a nice overclock (if I could sustain it)

Riptide
07-25-04, 06:58 PM
The DFI is nice to. I like the layout even better than the MSI. :)

Sazar
07-25-04, 07:10 PM
what is that small riser card (between the I/O ports) ?

a card-reader?

Riptide
07-25-04, 08:50 PM
It's almost tempting to go with that DFI... :)

I don't like the power connector right in front of the floppy connector on the MSI. That and the two sets of SATA ports being located so far from each other like that.

It's always something with these motherboards isn't it? ;)

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=823717&postcount=537
The other interesting thing about this DFI board is that it uses an audio riser card that houses the codec for an 8-channel set-up. You can see it in the picture up where all the i/o connectors are.

netviper13
07-26-04, 01:51 AM
Damnit this board, combined with the review of it I just read at Anandtech, is really calling to me to give in and buy an A64 system.

It seems the 3500+ is a decent investment at this point, what do you guys think? I suppose I could wait around for prices to fall a bit, but then it turns into a never-ending cycle of waiting.

*edit*

Or would it be a better idea to wait for the PCI-Express boards to hit the market and go for a major upgrade at that point?

Riptide
07-26-04, 07:54 AM
Just do it now. You know you want to. :p

|JuiceZ|
07-26-04, 08:19 AM
blah, PCI Express = overrated right now. Go for it ;)

netviper13
07-26-04, 01:06 PM
Damn j00 all, making me want to spend my money. I'll have to wait a little bit longer now at least, the estimated shipping date from Monarch is now Aug. 2nd.

|JuiceZ|
07-26-04, 01:11 PM
Damn j00 all, making me want to spend my money. I'll have to wait a little bit longer now at least, the estimated shipping date from Monarch is now Aug. 2nd.

Its all Riptide's fault! :p

netviper13
07-26-04, 01:23 PM
Let's get him real drunk :alc: and then when he's not looking... :rw: :rw: :rw:

:D

/me calls dibs on his FX-53

Riptide
07-26-04, 01:36 PM
:) August now eh? They also increased the price from yesterday.

I'm trying to find some more information about this, or if it's just a rumor, etc..
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=824086&postcount=541
Blue found in a MSI neo bios a hidden entry to "enable better performance on ATI vid cards", so they obviosuly have turned it off be default to make the nvidia cards look better.

Riptide
07-26-04, 05:20 PM
*bump*
Check this out. WTH is going on with this BIOS option?
See attached image.
From ABXZONE.COM:
It's not MSI boofing ATI...it's MSI fixing Nvidia boofing ATI

Remember when nVidia anounced the nf3-250 chipset?? I do and they said their vid cards would work better on nf3-250 ..so all the ATI fans started complaining did that mean nVIDIA was going to clobber ATI vid cards. Nvidias response was NO,

But I found this very well hidden option in the Neo's BIOS, I'll let you be the judge as to what it is, and what it means

I can say this though, my x800XT PE runs the same with it enabled or dissabled...

Sazar
07-26-04, 05:28 PM
if its anything like the turbo option on my board it will basically overclock the gpu...

I dunno either way though since I don't have that board...

when i do get my hands on an a64 nf3-250 based board from nvidia i will be able to check the setting :)

till then I'll have to wait and see what juice says and what others are reporting...

EngenZerO
07-26-04, 06:17 PM
*bump*
Check this out. WTH is going on with this BIOS option?
See attached image.
From ABXZONE.COM:

I have a Neo Platinum skt 754 and trust me it does not have that option. If you hit shift f1 or f2 forget which one it brings up hidden fields in the bios selector, that is not one of them, :).

Riptide
07-26-04, 06:33 PM
The screenshot isn't a fake. His board apparently does have this option. Also, I'm unclear but he might be testing one of the skt939 versions which could explain that difference.

|JuiceZ|
07-26-04, 09:05 PM
Correct, that isn't a fake screenshot. My mb bios has that option but you have to hold "shift + F2" in order to see it. And yes I have it enabled :D

EngenZerO
07-26-04, 09:07 PM
Correct, that isn't a fake screenshot. My mb bios has that option but you have to hold "shift + F2" in order to see it. And yes I have it enabled :D

what bios revision are you running? cause my bios does not have that option and niether does my friends bios who is also running a neo plat.