PDA

View Full Version : Received 6800 GT, Please Help

hassata
07-25-04, 10:33 AM
Hi:

I just received my BFG 6800 GT. If you look at the card, towards the back are two cyclynders (they look like batteries) with a blue half circle on top (16v). The one right under the poer connector was detached. What can I use to stick this back on? I know where it should go and direction from this pick: http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTA4OTIzNDA3NzZ6ZkxtNW1xRXpfMV8zX 2wuanBn, but hpow do I do it, solder? And if so, how?

PLease help, I'm half way around tyhe world and would rather not rtm if at all possible.

Many thanks

GravY
07-25-04, 10:37 AM
Ouch, don't know if you can just re-attach that..

Razor1
07-25-04, 10:40 AM
Hi:

I just received my BFG 6800 GT. If you look at the card, towards the back are two cyclynders (they look like batteries) with a blue half circle on top (16v). The one right under the poer connector was detached. What can I use to stick this back on? I know where it should go and direction from this pick: http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTA4OTIzNDA3NzZ6ZkxtNW1xRXpfMV8zX 2wuanBn, but hpow do I do it, solder? And if so, how?

PLease help, I'm half way around tyhe world and would rather not rtm if at all possible.

Many thanks

Ya can solder them. Just becareful not to get the solder everywhere :)

stncttr908
07-25-04, 10:52 AM
Send it back. If you mess it up and there's solder everywhere then you're not going to get it replaced.

SEND IT BACK!

MingtonHall
07-25-04, 11:00 AM
The (probably electrolytic) smoothing capacitors, silver with blue dots at clock points?

They look suspiciously like capacitors hassata :)

They'll be marked with a capacitance in microFarads maybe 470uF-10000uF

And marked also with a DC working voltage. Orientation is critical. CRITICAL. -when replacing these parts if they are electrolytic capacitors.

See if you can see those markings if you can't re-solder the caps back because you've snapped off the connecting wires

Or you could solder some bits of insulating wire to the bits of wire that are left poking out of the bottom of the caps and re-solder the caps down

The kit will run ok I should think at light load but you'll run into trouble when your card draws lots more current when things are getting busy in there :)

Ming

hassata
07-25-04, 11:12 AM
Thanks guys. Just had someone resolder. I'll stick it in the pc and hope for the best. Will post back

PaiN
07-25-04, 11:13 AM
If you try a self fix....you'll likely void the warratee....BFG will most likely take very good care of you with an over-night relacement. I'd get on the phone and RMA it ASAP

hassata
07-26-04, 03:28 AM
BFG is 7-10 days for replacement. The solder seems to have worked as I have the card in the machine and its giving vga output. I will install latest drivers and test. Hopefullly it will still work with new drivers as well as under load.

Lfctony
07-26-04, 04:31 AM
Good luck, let us know how it goes.

hassata
07-26-04, 08:23 AM
I think it looks ok so far, thank God

I went from approx 5900+ to 10000+ in 03, but that's still without turing off unnecessary services and defragging memory. I am running a P4 3.0 800 FSB 1 gig dual channel no oc. Does that sound about right?

Many thanks

Fatman
07-26-04, 09:19 AM
Congras man! Enjoy your new card.

Razor1
07-26-04, 09:42 AM
great happy gamin!