PDA

View Full Version : Check this BFG GT out.

MaXThReAT
07-25-04, 01:50 PM
I think I have a problem.
This is at stock OC settings 370/1000. I ran this for 5min.
The EQ system temps show the ambient temp at 32c.
Around the card though 59c. This thing is blowing off some heat.
I have a blower, umm blowing right on the HS + partly open case.
Before the blower it hit 110c, max during this test was 103c.
It just gets hotter with is closed.

If I send it back to BFG I don't think I'll get a new one back by D3.
It locks up with FC at 110c, everything ells runs fine.
I'm Doomed.

Raptorman
07-25-04, 02:06 PM
I think I have a problem.
This is at stock OC settings 370/1000. I ran this for 5min.
The EQ system temps show the ambient temp at 32c.
Around the card though 59c. This thing is blowing off some heat.
I have a blower, umm blowing right on the HS + partly open case.
Before the blower it hit 110c, max during this test was 103c.
It just gets hotter with is closed.

If I send it back to BFG I don't think I'll get a new one back by D3.
It locks up with FC at 110c, everything ells runs fine.
I'm Doomed.

Ouch, that's toasty. If you don't mind the noise buy a 12" house fan and put on the thing with the side panel of the case off. That's what I did when I had my Athlon XP 2100+ and it was overclocked with my Rad 9700 PRO overclocked. The temperature dropped about 20 C when I added in that fan.

kahloq
07-25-04, 02:16 PM
You should look into making your case air flow alot better. My ambient is usually 35c-42C and never goes over 75c on load for the core. Core idles at 48-51c. Is there anything directly under the fan you got blowing on the vid card's HSF? If so.......move it down lower so the fan blowing on the vid card can get better airflow and not draw heat off anything below it.

|JuiceZ|
07-25-04, 03:31 PM
The idle gpu temp is fine, same as my PNY, but under load though it should nvr get that hot. Think you have some serious airflow issues in yer case. Whats the idle/load temps on yer cpu?

Syan
07-25-04, 04:43 PM
Is idle when your just in the desktop, not playing any games? While I'm in the desktop my core sits at 58 and my ambience at 37. The video card (6800 GT) is not overclocked.

Unit-0
07-25-04, 04:55 PM
Is your video card fan working?

Zetto
07-25-04, 05:14 PM
My guess is that HSF is not making proper contact with the core. Either take it off and clean up AS5 and reapply fresh one... or just RMA the card...

Lfctony
07-25-04, 05:28 PM
I'd send it back in a heart beat. :(

oozish
07-25-04, 05:37 PM
I suggest sending it back as well. I had a card that idled at 63C, and I had made every effort to increase airflow ect. I have a great case and great airflow including a blow hole, 2 fans in front, cleared wires, ect.

I found even removing the side and blowing a room fan on the card didn't help! It's not airflow as much as some of the cards just run too hot. I traded my first card in for another and in the same case I idle now arount 53-56....my max temp under load is 81 steady, whereas before it pushed upwards of 92 (i stopped it then).

One thing I found helped at least 1 or 2 degrees C was the simple fact of removing the PCI covered right under the card. Just take them out. With the Card blowing forwards, maybe it can use the cool air it's sucking in from the back of the case....whatever, it DOES help. Try it for yourself, I can monitor a 1-2 C increase each time I close them off.

Pantherman
07-25-04, 06:30 PM
I bought a BFG 6800 GT and had to return it due to overheating issues that would cause artifacts. When I set the card to default speeds, it still had issues in some games. I now have a PNY that I'm rinning at default speeds with no problems at all.

scott123
07-25-04, 06:48 PM
Clearly a case, of poor airflow. You need to work on getting better airflow through your case.

Zetto
07-25-04, 07:33 PM
Clearly a case, of poor airflow. You need to work on getting better airflow through your case.
Uhm, it's not that simple. Even with open case and a big fan blowing in, his temps are too high.

tieros
07-26-04, 12:18 AM
Before sending it back, you may want to try improving it yourself.

Remove the faceplate, and all the heat sinks. If you lift carefully (using a razor if necessary), you can remove all the chunks of thermal compound intact. Store them someplace safe in case you need to reverse the procedure.

Clean up the surfaces of the GPU, RAM chips, and heatsinks. The GPU thermal compound is the only messy one if you were successful with the thermal "blobs".

Put a blob of AS5 or OCZUltra5+ about the size of a grain of rice on the GPU heatsink, and buff the hell out of it using a soft, lint-free cloth. The GPU heatsink finish is very poor, and has a lot of scratches that need to be filled.

Now put the same sized blob on the center of the GPU, and a blob about 1/3rd that size (very small!) on each of the RAM chips.

Reattach all the heatsinks, trying to keep them from sliding around and smearing the AS5. Then reattach the face plate and reinstall the card.

Thermal compounds take a few days to cure, but you should see an immediate improvement in temperatures and OC ability. I went from 62 idle to 52 (was 56-57 for first couple of days), and it is usually around 68 or 69 after gaming or benchmarking. The best part is that it goes back down to 52 VERY quickly.

If that doesn't help, you can wipe off the OCZUltra5+, reattach the blobs of original thermal compound, and return it. No one will know you swapped out the thermal compounds if you kept it clean.