PDA

View Full Version : BFG OC question

Mr. Teatime
07-25-04, 02:33 PM
Is the BFG OC actually overclocked on the hardware? I don't see how they can say it's already overclocked.... when you install generic nvidia drivers do they automatically detect it at higher clock speeds or something? Or is the card a normal 6800 ultra, with some extra cooling on to ALLOW you to overclock to their advertised speeds?

kahloq
07-25-04, 02:39 PM
BFG's bios sets the clock speed as do any other vendors bios set the clock speeds. BFG's bios however, defaults those values to 425/1100. The nvidia drivers recognize the core and memory as set by the cards bios. But, when using coolbits2 or rivatunner and you set the clock speeds different, that overrides the default clock settings IF you tell the program to set it that way at startup, however clicking the return settings to default will reset the clocks back to what the BIOS specifies.

Mr. Teatime
07-25-04, 02:42 PM
OK, thanks. Now I need to know how to update the BIOS on the card to 4.6 when it arrives

saturnotaku
07-25-04, 08:33 PM
OK, thanks. Now I need to know how to update the BIOS on the card to 4.6 when it arrives

Unless you're having very specific problems related to 2D work that cannot be fixed via a driver update, you should not flash your video BIOS. This should only be necessary as a last ditch troubleshooting measure.