PDA

View Full Version : What is too hot for the 6800 series?

Dudeman1
07-25-04, 02:25 PM
Hello all

I am new to the boards and I have a question. I just bought a 6800 GT from EVGA. When I play games like Farcry the card can get kinda hot. I was wondering what is too hot? My card gets into the 70s while playing farcry. If this is too hot what can I do to lower the temperature. I do not know how to OC so its not that.

cam9786
07-25-04, 02:30 PM
70s-80s is not uncommon for the 6800 series of cards. They are made to run that hot and it's normal for their structure. Waht would be "too hot" would probably be around 105C or higher. Your temps are normal, and it's fine for these cards. I've had my BFG 6800 GT OC for a month and a half, all idle at around 60-65C, and it's run without a hitch.

Dudeman1
07-25-04, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the reply. I did some searching on the boards and found that some peoples cards run hotter than mine so now I dont feel so bad.

ricercar
07-26-04, 06:31 PM
NVIDIA GPUs are rated to 140°C. Peaking at 70°C is actually cooler than many folks get in 3D.

garikfox
07-26-04, 08:32 PM
110c they start to DROP, I mean is Quit wrking to save itself, VIVA nVIDIA :)

yes THATS HOT as cooking bacon...

Severian126
07-26-04, 08:33 PM
If you are really worried, just play with the side case off. Did wonders for me. Dropped from 72C idel to 57C core. :)

garikfox
07-26-04, 08:34 PM
If you are really worried, just play with the side case off. Did wonders for me. Dropped from 72C idel to 57C core. :)

u just need Ehaust fans like at least 2 sounds like u have none bad bad....

evilchris
07-26-04, 08:45 PM
Hello all

I am new to the boards and I have a question. I just bought a 6800 GT from EVGA. When I play games like Farcry the card can get kinda hot. I was wondering what is too hot? My card gets into the 70s while playing farcry. If this is too hot what can I do to lower the temperature. I do not know how to OC so its not that.

70 is fine. You card is well within spec and is not even close to overheating.

SH64
07-26-04, 09:13 PM
If your temp is @70c .. i say you should consider overclcoking ! :D

70c is fine .. thanks to the effective cooler used in the NV40 series .

kahloq
07-26-04, 09:48 PM
Yup 70c is good actually under load. I get about 72c under load and I have 7 case fans(this is watching the temps under load running rthdribl for 30 minutes)

Annihlist
07-27-04, 12:04 AM
Why do I start seeing artifacts then at 75C clocked at 450/1200 on albatron 6800 ultra. Maybe needs more voltage or something? or not? Idling now at 47C at stock 425/1100. Could it be because I have a nforce 3 chipset. Disabling fastwrites does help a bit but still does not solve freezing problems in Painkiller.

evilchris
07-27-04, 12:06 AM
Why do I start seeing artifacts then at 75oC clocked at 450/1200 on albatron 6800 ultra. Maybe needs more voltage or something? or not?

Perhaps the RAM is the problem. Also, GPU temp isn't the only thing that can cause artifacts to appear due to GPU overclocking.

fyfe is best
03-25-05, 12:16 PM
Mine sits at 51 idle with no overclocking. As far as adding more fans to the case I found it made very little difference from 1 fan and 3 fans. I found that the best way for cooling is to attach a hose over the vga cooling fan and run it to the outside of the case. My idle temp went down 8 degrees and running temp 11 degrees. I just used an old "shop vac" connector (the perfect size) and connected it with dual sided sticky foam tape and drilled a 2 inch hole in the side of the case and ran it through there. I will connect an additional fan at the end later and see if it helps also.

nas82
03-25-05, 05:33 PM
Yup 70c is good actually under load. I get about 72c under load and I have 7 case fans(this is watching the temps under load running rthdribl for 30 minutes)

7 case fans? THats sad and your temp is still higher than mine. Get rid of all them fans.

Listen, all you need is an intake fan in the front, and 2 decent exhaust fans.

But i went the extra mile and added a 120mm fan to the side of my case pointing at the cpu and gpu.

So for me thats a total of 4 fans. 120mm intake, two 80mm exhaust and 120mm on the side, i keep that fan on low.

Strahd
03-25-05, 06:20 PM
I have 0 fans running inside my case (not counting the intake and exhast fans for my PSU). I have the side case off and I have a personal fan blowing into my case. My video card idles at 47c, my CPU idles at 37c and my MB temp idles at 22c.

I found that no matter how many fans you had, unless you water cool or use the old freon, the ambient room temperature played way to much of a factor in temps. It might help if I had a better case and I might get one anyway but for now, I'm very happy with my current temps.

If 70c is around normal for the 6800's, I may play with a little overclocking :cool:

keith33
03-25-05, 07:02 PM
I have 0 fans running inside my case (not counting the intake and exhast fans for my PSU). I have the side case off and I have a personal fan blowing into my case. My video card idles at 47c, my CPU idles at 37c and my MB temp idles at 22c.

I found that no matter how many fans you had, unless you water cool or use the old freon, the ambient room temperature played way to much of a factor in temps. It might help if I had a better case and I might get one anyway but for now, I'm very happy with my current temps.

If 70c is around normal for the 6800's, I may play with a little overclocking :cool:

What heatsink are you using for the FX-55? That is a hot mofo as is, and combined with a 6800 Ultra it used to heat my room.

ChrisRay
03-25-05, 07:11 PM
I have seen my primary GPU reach as hot as 92C under foll load ((Real load tempature. Not the exit 3d ap and look at tempature load) and I used to be really concerned about this but all 3 of my 6800GTS do this under stressful environments such as Doom 3. Note my secondary GPU doesnt get as hot but thats normal for SLI. But my AGP 6800GT does.

SH64
03-25-05, 07:19 PM
I have seen my primary GPU reach as hot as 92C under foll load ((Real load tempature. Not the exit 3d ap and look at tempature load) and I used to be really concerned about this but all 3 of my 6800GTS do this under stressful environments such as Doom 3. Note my secondary GPU doesnt get as hot but thats normal for SLI. But my AGP 6800GT does.

Remember that the 71.84 drivers have a temp issue where it report 20% more than actual temp .
my 6800GTs get in 80s under load according to the readings .. i hope its just the temp bug .

ChrisRay
03-25-05, 07:47 PM
Remember that the 71.84 drivers have a temp issue where it report 20% more than actual temp .
my 6800GTs get in 80s under load according to the readings .. i hope its just the temp bug .

Actually the temp bug In my experience has onmly affected 2d temps. My 3d load temps regardless of drivers have always been similar. Your temps are fine. Dont worry about it. If your GPUS were loading over 100C. Then I'd start being concerned. But even those are safe. The only sucky thing about SLI I have noticed. Is 1 6800GT is bad,. 2 computers with 6800GT warms the room up. But 3 6800GTS running in the same room = Warm tempatures all year round. :D

SH64
03-25-05, 07:53 PM
Actually the temp bug In my experience has onmly affected 2d temps. My 3d load temps regardless of drivers have always been similar. Your temps are fine. Dont worry about it. If your GPUS were loading over 100C. Then I'd start being concerned. But even those are safe. The only sucky thing about SLI I have noticed. Is 1 6800GT is bad,. 2 computers with 6800GT warms the room up. But 3 6800GTS running in the same room = Warm tempatures all year round. :D

Heh you tellin me ! i have 2 X800XTs (one XT & one XT-PE) plus 2x 6800GTs running in the same room :D .. but i rarely do use all my 3 PCs at once or it would turn to an oven .
as for the temps i'm not worry that much but with such temps i'm afraid to lose the ability to overclock them in the near future .

NemesisChild
03-25-05, 09:52 PM

The temp bug only affects the idle temp, one shouldn't see any changes in load temps!

Acid Rain
03-26-05, 01:05 PM
I came home from a trip once and I'd left my AC off. The house was about 85 farenheit when I got home and what do I do? Fire up Far Cry and play for an hour.

When I exited the game, my temp was at 87c in the control panel which means probably 97 or so while playing the game (they cool down RAPIDLY when you exit a game.

It played without a hitch and never artifacted or became unstable at all. These cards can take A LOT of heat.