PDA

View Full Version : Warning about OC'ing 6800gt

Zetto
07-25-04, 04:23 PM
Well, I've been driving 6800gt at ultra speed, and there were not problems in all games, no artifacting anywhere, including Far Cry 1.1 with tommti's r300 patch. However, once I installed Far Cry 1.2 patch, I noticed slight texture flickering at short distances which seemed to go away only when I dropped to stock speeds, i.e. modifying video options did not affect it. I am pretty sure that the oc did not cause any such texture flickering in Far Cry 1.1, it's obvious that 1.2 enabled some parts of 6800 core not used elsewhere (i.e. 3dmark03, or even rhthbl HDR demo) producing more heat and causing artifacting. Even tho otherwise Far Cry 1.2 does not cause me any grief, this issue gives me some food for thought. Prolly while oc'ing 6800gt to ultra speed in regular (read - old generation) games does not cause artifacting, it may do so in newer ones (i.e. Far Cry 1.2, and possibly Doom3 as Carmack said). Note tho, that I did not enable sm3.0 path but this patch did enable something on NV40 by default anyways, even under Dx9b. Any further thoughts?

Zetto
07-25-04, 04:26 PM
And to clarify any confusion, I do watch my temp close, they are normal as far as 6800-series cards are concerned, and I never saw my card exceed 90c.

Azzkikr1337
07-25-04, 05:01 PM
far cry 1.2 patch was recalled. Better wait for another few weeks for a proper patch.

Zetto
07-25-04, 05:10 PM
Like I said it's just a warning. U decide whether u want to heed it or not :D Patch might be faulty but it does engage parts of GPU left unused in other titles. My point is that newer titles will load up the GPU much more than the current ones, and your 6800gt won't be able to sustain high oc any more. Far Cry 1.2 might only a glimpse of the future ;)

GlowStick
07-25-04, 05:14 PM
Like I said it's just a warning. U decide whether u want to heed it or not :D Patch might be faulty but it does engage parts of GPU left unused in other titles. My point is that newer titles will load up the GPU much more than the current ones, and your 6800gt won't be able to sustain high oc any more. Far Cry 1.2 might only a glimpse of the future ;)
mmm JC may be right! :|

burningrave101
07-25-04, 05:47 PM

DOOM 3 is going to bring about much of the same. Its going to use transistors on the core that wasn't used before in other games. John Carmack even gave an explicit warning that DOOM 3 might not run well on OC'd machines.

They also reported some "fudging" in the texture filtering for the ATI cards in DOOM 3 testing. Of course we already knew that was going on after ATI was caught using Trilinear w/ Brilinear filtering here a few months ago.

Cyb3-RR
07-26-04, 12:36 AM
Hmm, Far Cry 1.2 runs like buttah on my BFG 6800GT o/ced to 400/1.1

-Justin

Zetto
08-01-04, 06:31 PM
Heh, don't mean to gloat but it seems I was right after all :D

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33628

Kmoney
08-01-04, 06:38 PM
Im pretty sure that its a faulty patch as far as Far Cry 1.2 is concerned. And as for Doom 3, I guess when playing it we should just set the speeds to default.