PDA

View Full Version : Unsuccessful Additional Cooling for BFG 6800GT

Azzkikr1337
07-25-04, 05:57 PM
Well, one day when I was cleaning my case and viewing the vantec spectrum thread that cools the core directly, I wanted to do something similar to try and cool more of my BFG 6800GT. I had a Antec 120mm handy and my roomate helped me put it on so it is directly blowing at the core. Well, after booting up and running some demos, the temps did not drop at all(I did open the plate of the HSF), but rose faster than the default HSF. :retard: I eventually had to put the HSF plate back, and now the temps are back to normal. I thought it would help, but it did the reverse. Any inputs appreciated if me and my roomate did something wrong with it.

http://home.kc.rr.com/azzkikr69/fan1.jpg
http://home.kc.rr.com/azzkikr69/fan2.jpg

Distraught
07-26-04, 12:10 AM
The plate that was on top of the blower assembly actually helps force air over the core heatsink and mem heatsinks.. so taking it off isn't such a great idea. That is, unless you plan to attach, say, an 80mm fan to the heatsinks directly with hot glue ;). If you want to do some case moding, I think the 120mm would serve you better at the bottom of your case to pull in fresh air.

Raptorman
07-26-04, 12:14 AM
Try mounting the fan to where it is blowing air across the card (from the left side of the card to the right) instead of straight on top of the heatsink/fan assembly.

Kind of like the CardCooler.

technoid
07-26-04, 12:36 AM
It's probably more related to the fact the heatsink mounted to the graphics core itself just isn't capable of doing more, so more airflow didn't help.

If you could get cooler air some way that should help, but you're just blowing warm air on it.

Nice pics though, what type of camera did you use.

kahloq
07-26-04, 12:59 AM
Well it seems from the pictures that yes, the fan was blowing warm air on the vid card cuz there are TWO pci cards underneath your fan setup, of which both are going to warm the air around them some. If you can possibly remove the pci cards JUST to see if it makes a difference, try that as a test. Also, are you sure the fan assembly was directing air TO the vid card and not away from it? Stupid question yes, but had to be asked, cuz the vid card's fan is drawing IN air and if the fan assembly card thing you got going is blowing down, theres no air for the vid cards fan to blow over the heat sink

Azzkikr1337
07-26-04, 02:18 AM
well, I'm too lazy to do additional tests as I have other priorities now I need to do. I will try Raptorman's idea and follow the stock fan direction of airflow. This card survived the hottest days of summer here (103F) so I think it's fine. I was the one that couldn't stand the heat while gaming far cry. I'll be happy for this setup for now. Once I have more time, I will do more tests (that's 2-3 months away :rolleyes:) Now I just have it blowing this way, I don't think the 120mm fan made any difference in the temps. I used a Sony DSC-P72 to take the pictures.

http://home.kc.rr.com/azzkikr69/casefans.jpg

JGene
07-26-04, 04:32 AM
Azzkikr1337: You need to invest in some zip ties my friend. ;) All those cables going everywhere is going to kill your airflow.

Lfctony
07-26-04, 04:35 AM
You should see my case! :P

kahloq
07-26-04, 11:48 AM
Jeez you got enough side case fans? LOL :headbang:

OWA
07-26-04, 12:33 PM
The plate that was on top of the blower assembly actually helps force air over the core heatsink and mem heatsinks.. so taking it off isn't such a great idea. That is, unless you plan to attach, say, an 80mm fan to the heatsinks directly with hot glue ;). If you want to do some case moding, I think the 120mm would serve you better at the bottom of your case to pull in fresh air.
Yeah, that was what I noticed when I was going to try this same thing. I took the plate off, thinking it was just for looks, then discovered that was how the air was being forced across the rest of the card. So, I put the plate back on and gave up on the idea for now.

technoid
07-26-04, 12:37 PM
hehehe... Now I know why your temp is so high, not enough case fans. Please install 2 more and things should be fine :-) Thanks for the camera details !

Noxis
07-26-04, 12:38 PM
http://home.kc.rr.com/azzkikr69/casefans.jpg

How many randomly placed unplanned fans can you fit in the side of the average computer case.... little bit more planning I think there hehe..

ssj4goku887
07-26-04, 12:55 PM
the big fan is for the pci and agp slots the 2 on the side is for the hard drives and such and hte one in the middle is for the ram.

ynnek
07-26-04, 12:59 PM
yea seriously.. the air in your case must be extremely turbulent.. which is not good for cooling..

hoop
07-26-04, 01:00 PM
see how pretty mine is.

http://www.thekingpin.net/album_page.php?pic_id=481

http://www.thekingpin.net/album_page.php?pic_id=479

but i use sata so i no need all those wires.

anzak
07-26-04, 03:01 PM
Azzkikr1337, move the fan up one PCI slot so that it's flush against the card. This will give more room under the fan in which to pull the air from.

Azzkikr1337
07-26-04, 11:33 PM
How many randomly placed unplanned fans can you fit in the side of the average computer case.... little bit more planning I think there hehe..

No, it was planned. My hard drives were getting too hot, and one of my raptor drives just died after 3 months before I installed any fans. Now, there's one dedicated fan blowing at the Raptor (purple LED). The stock fans in the front are still blowing on it, but I felt it lacked the necessary cooling so I added more to the sides. The white one is for the RAM that couldn't be reached by the cpu fan (Vantec 92mm tornado) while the first one could. If I didn't have to study the GRE, I would be doing more testing, but I have to study now. Once I get it over with, my options are

1. Buy the VGA silencer
2. blow the fan from left to right
3. Drill more holes so the entire side panel has all LEDs (probably wouldn't do any good)

I'm not into water cooling yet because I have limited budget.

I'm need some insight for the people who have bought the Vantec Spectrum cards. How does the air flow?