PDA

View Full Version : nVidia Overclocking Tips

burningrave101
07-25-04, 06:11 PM
Anyone have any tips for overclocking on the 6800's they want to share? What do you use to find artifacts when testing the memory clock? What do you use to find the max core speed?

I usually use CoolBits "Detect Optimal Frequencies" option first to find a starting point. I then test to make sure those settings are good and work my way up.

Do you guys increase in 5Mhz, 10Mhz, or larger increments?

HDR seems like it would be an EXCELLENT utility for finding max core speeds. It cooks the core hotter then any game out there. Do you agree? How long should you run the HDR demo to check the core speeds?

What about artifacting? I've just been using the Mother Nature test in 3DMark03 to test for artifacts. Is there a better way?

cam9786
07-25-04, 06:18 PM
For Artifatcs, 3dM03,Farcry,RTHDRIBL.
I use Detect Optimal Frequencies
Usually never increase by more than 30% at a time, ie if core is 300, no larger than 330.
Using RTHDRIBL and All of 3dM03, especially Troll test and Nature test, as well as body of soldiers on Proxycon is great.

burningrave101
07-25-04, 06:42 PM
How do YOU go about running the RTHDRIBL demo? Do you change any of the settings? Do you increase the size of the window? If i try to increase the size of the window too far it just crashes.

And for some reason, 3DMark03 was crawling along in the Mother Nature test at like 3 fps after i had been running the HDR demo for quite a while. I had to reboot the system to get performance back to normal.

TISaint
07-25-04, 06:46 PM
For Artifatcs, 3dM03,Farcry,RTHDRIBL.
I use Detect Optimal Frequencies
Usually never increase by more than 30% at a time, ie if core is 300, no larger than 330.
Using RTHDRIBL and All of 3dM03, especially Troll test and Nature test, as well as body of soldiers on Proxycon is great.

Isn't that 10%?

cam9786
07-25-04, 07:13 PM
Er, 5-10% Sorry.