PDA

View Full Version : Returned my BFG 6800GT OC to Fry's

technoid
07-25-04, 11:15 PM
Okay I did it. I took out my BFG 6800GT OC yesterday and returned it to Fry's. They put a $379.99 sticker on it while I was waiting for them to get my refund slip printed out. It was the Fry's store in Plano, Texas if anyone wants to go get it. It maybe gone already, I didn't think to post anything yesterday about it. But it was late in the day when I took it back so it might not have got put on the shelf yet.

Anyway, on to why I returned it. Some very simple reasons and some not so simple. The simple one was the fan seemed to make a noise that others here said there's didn't. It wasn't that much and to be honest I'm very sensitive to that type of stuff so it might be okay and the same as the rest but I decided to wait a little bit and maybe give the GT or maybe even the XT PE a chance.

The not so simple reasons were game play related. I've noticed some threads about game play issues now and this was the biggest reason I returned it. I want to consider how I feel about it before I try one again. So here's the deal.

I have a modest system by todays standards...

P4 2.53 Gig Processor
ASUS P4B533 Motherboard
1 Gig Kingston Value Ram
PNY TI4600 - Was BFG 6800GT OC
Sound Blaster Audigy

Here's the game issues...

Serious Sam 1 - Lower Benchmarks than 4600
Serious Sam 2 - Lower Benchmarks than 4600
Return to Castle Wolfenstein - Lower Benchmarks than 4600
MCM2 - Lower FRAPS frame rates than 4600

Of course here's the good...

FarCry 1.1 - Way higher scores than 4600
Halo 1.04 - Way higher scores than 4600
3DMark03 - Way higher scores than 4600
Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow - Way higher scores than 4600

These results are over 4 sets of drivers ending with the WHQL set that was just released by NVIDIA.

I've upgraded my system many times and never seen this kind of mixed results before and I've been upgrading since my first Voodoo1 PCI board.

Final note, try to run Gun Metal 2 Benchmark on a 6800 or X800 and see what happens.

So what's the deal then...

It would be interesting if someone here has similar results but you would have to have benchmarks the games before you switched the board and only did a graphics board upgrade like I did, any takers?

What seems to be happening is the drivers for the 6800 Series are just not optimized for older games, read not dx9 or high profile newer games. Of course I may be entirely wrong too. But either way the GT is out and the 4600 is back in.

What I plan to do...

I plan an upgrade to a P4 3.2 Gig Northwood with an ASUS 875 motherboard and another GT or XT PE. That will at least make sure when I do benchmarks it will kill my old system whether or not the drivers are more optimized for the older games or not. But I might not get the BFG 6800GT OC next time. I'm not that much of an overclocker and the extra 20 Mhz didn't seem to do much for my benchmark scores and probably did make it run a tad hotter, and it's already hot enough the way it is. Don't get me wrong the BFG was a great card and made well I just don't need the extra heat for the few frames per second it got me. So maybe the eVGA GT next time, but I'll miss the lifetime warranty. I know, you're going to say just down clock to the stock speeds then, I may do that but down clocking just plain sounds dumb.

So, there it is... comments?

Raptorman
07-25-04, 11:19 PM
Okay I did it. I took out my BFG 6800GT OC yesterday and returned it to Fry's. They put a $379.99 sticker on it while I was waiting for them to get my refund slip printed out. It was the Fry's store in Plano, Texas if anyone wants to go get it. It maybe gone already, I didn't think to post anything yesterday about it. But it was late in the day when I took it back so it might not have got put on the shelf yet.

Anyway, on to why I returned it. Some very simple reasons and some not so simple. The simple one was the fan seemed to make a noise that others here said there's didn't. It wasn't that much and to be honest I'm very sensitive to that type of stuff so it might be okay and the same as the rest but I decided to wait a little bit and maybe give the GT or maybe even the XT PE a chance.

The not so simple reasons were game play related. I've noticed some threads about game play issues now and this was the biggest reason I returned it. I want to consider how I feel about it before I try one again. So here's the deal.

I have a modest system by todays standards...

P4 2.53 Gig Processor
ASUS P4B533 Motherboard
1 Gig Kingston Value Ram
PNY TI4600 - Was BFG 6800GT OC
Sound Blaster Audigy

Here's the game issues...

Serious Sam 1 - Lower Benchmarks than 4600
Serious Sam 2 - Lower Benchmarks than 4600
Return to Castle Wolfenstein - Lower Benchmarks than 4600
MCM2 - Lower FRAPS frame rates than 4600

Of course here's the good...

FarCry 1.1 - Way higher scores than 4600
Halo 1.04 - Way higher scores than 4600
3DMark03 - Way higher scores than 4600
Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow - Way higher scores than 4600

These results are over 4 sets of drivers ending with the WHQL set that was just released by NVIDIA.

I've upgraded my system many times and never seen this kind of mixed resutls before and I've been upgrading since my first Voodoo1 PCI board.

Final note, try to run Gun Metal 2 Benchmark on a 6800 or X800 and see what happens.

So what's the deal then...

It would be interesting if someone here has similar results but you would have to have benchmarks the games before you switched the board and only did a graphics board upgrade like I did, any takers?

What seems to be happening is the drivers for the 6800 Series are just not optimized for older games, read not dx9 or high profile newer games. Of course I may be entirely wrong too. But either way the GT is out and the 4600 is back in.

What I plan to do...

I plan an upgrade to a P4 3.2 Gig Northwood with an ASUS 875 motherboard and another GT or XT PE. That will at least make sure when I do benchmarks it will kill my old system whether or not the drivers are more optimized for the older games or not.

So, there it is... comments?

nVIDIA's drivers, obviously, need time to mature with the 6800 series. I've had a lot of headaches out of hte 61.76 drivers. Finally, I've found a good driver set that works (the 61.34's from PNY). With this set most of my issues are eliminated. Just going to have to wait on nVIDIA to get more mature drivers for this series of cards.

dnottis
07-25-04, 11:58 PM
I know exactly what u are talking about - new games are perfect - old games just blow right now. Stutter/skipping framerate makes games un-enjoyable!

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32990

JGene
07-26-04, 12:07 AM
For me the stuttering comes and goes in different driver sets. It was there in the 61.45s, but gone in the 62.01s. Don't remember if it was in the 61.76s but I yanked my card after struggling for two weeks to get it to work at 1368x768.

Right now my BFG 6800 GT is back in the box that it came in. I haven't decided whether or not to try to return it. I've had it for over two weeks so I doubt I could return it without paying an uber restocking fee + return shipping. With that in mind, I'm obligated to wait for new drivers.

Just kinda a bummer since I was eager to start playing games again and here I am stuck back on my Radeon 8500. Never saw that one comming, that's for sure. (ack)

-=DVS=-
07-26-04, 01:25 AM
Maybe something was installed badly in your system , becouse all the games you mentioned ran several times faster on GT compared to my Radeon 9700Pro , i also had GF4 4200 in my seconde computer witch can't even be compared to speed of 6800 GT :eek:

Im useing 61.71 set with 9.0c without service pack 2 , i also tried more older games i had and all ran without a hitch , esspecialy OpenGL games .

Might be something screwd up in your bios maybe assigned bad IRQ or incompatibility with motheboard something must be wrong.... don't think its 6800 foult. Or bad power supply perhaps.

dnottis
07-26-04, 02:21 AM
Maybe something was installed badly in your system , becouse all the games you mentioned ran several times faster on GT compared to my Radeon 9700Pro .

Its not that they run slow - they just dont run smooth. They are faster on the GT if you actually benchmark it.

saturnotaku
07-26-04, 06:26 AM
You presently have an Intel system - do you have the latest official chipset drivers installed? That seemed to fix a lot of people's problems and the stuttering was a non-issue for my Intel machine be it with a 6800 GT or my present Ultra.

technoid
07-26-04, 09:02 AM
saturnotaku,

I didn't change my system at all except the display drivers. I seen some stuttering but not much, it was just lower frame rates in older games.

This is a strange deal to me, seeing lower frame rates in older games. That's something I've never seen before updating my system. Of course the path through the drivers is different for different versions of D3D that's for sure but the Serious Sam and RTCW results didn't seem right (OpenGL).

I'm a software professional and I've worked for the graphics division of Cirrus Logic, and 3Dfx, and the author of the Voodoo2, Voodoo3, and Voodoo5 Overclocker so I'm pretty familiar when how to setup a gaming system so this was double puzzling to me.

I'm not saying I didn't miss something but I'm not a newbie that messed up and blaming the card for it either :-)

My feeling is nvidia needs to work on the 6800 Series drivers and get them up to the same standards as their drivers for the more mature gpus. But I'm sure the next set of drivers will address all of this.

GravY
07-26-04, 09:08 AM
For me the stuttering comes and goes in different driver sets. It was there in the 61.45s, but gone in the 62.01s. Don't remember if it was in the 61.76s but I yanked my card after struggling for two weeks to get it to work at 1368x768.

Right now my BFG 6800 GT is back in the box that it came in. I haven't decided whether or not to try to return it. I've had it for over two weeks so I doubt I could return it without paying an uber restocking fee + return shipping. With that in mind, I'm obligated to wait for new drivers.

Just kinda a bummer since I was eager to start playing games again and here I am stuck back on my Radeon 8500. Never saw that one comming, that's for sure. (ack)

you have an out of the ordinary situation with the res you want to run at..

JGene
07-26-04, 10:57 AM
you have an out of the ordinary situation with the res you want to run at..

That's true, but sadly I'm still no closer to getting my problem resolved than the day that I first opened the box of my 6800 GT :(

Edit: The specific resolution that I'm trying to run at may be out-of-the-ordinary, however the problem that I have is actually fairly common with nVIDIA cards on the HTPC forums.