PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Reference card?

sirplayalot
07-26-04, 02:42 AM
I started a WTB thread somewhere for a BFG 6800 GT and someone PMed me saying they have a reference card of a 6800 GT. What is it and how much is it worth?

MUYA
07-26-04, 02:46 AM
MSRP of a GT is $399...so even though it's reference I would say it's value is still $399 as only one company manufactures the cards...(except slapping on the HSF) and that's Foxconn or someone... if I wrong ..someone pls correct me.

sirplayalot
07-26-04, 02:47 AM
But what the hell is a "reference"?

Lfctony
07-26-04, 02:54 AM
The first card design built by the chip maker, ie no different PCB, circuitry etc.

sirplayalot
07-26-04, 02:58 AM
So its just the Nvidia card? No PNY, eVGA or BFG or anything like that? Does it come with a warrenty and is there any difference with OCing or anything like that?

Lfctony
07-26-04, 03:06 AM
Initial cards are always built by Nvidia and then shipped to differents makers, until they are capable of building their own designs. You card will offer the warranty the makers have as standard, ie BFG offers lifetime warranty. But, regarding overclocking there isn't a best make to choose right now, since cards are identical. The only thing different might be the cooling solution. You will be purchasing a PNY 6800 Ultra, that was built by Nvidia for example.

sirplayalot
07-26-04, 03:07 AM
So this guy is offering me a reference card for 410 shipped. Its a 6800 GT Reference card. Think i should take it?

MUYA
07-26-04, 03:08 AM
Reference cards are not under warranty. These are made for NVIDIA by Foxconn etc to test and qualify and when qualified. These refereance boards are given to websites for review.

sirplayalot
07-26-04, 03:09 AM
Oh, then i dont think im going to take it :). Thanks for your help guys!

Lfctony
07-26-04, 03:14 AM
Reference cards are not under warranty. These are made for NVIDIA by Foxconn etc to test and qualify and when qualified. These refereance boards are given to websites for review.

What I meant was reference cards given to board makers still feature a warranty, by the AIB, even if the only thing they do is stick their brand sticker on. That of course changes with unbranded reference boards since you can't refer to anyone for a warranty.

MUYA
07-26-04, 03:34 AM
Oh, then i dont think im going to take it :). Thanks for your help guys!
No problem. However, maybe if u can get him/her to come down on the price it might be worth your while. Sometimes reference cardsa re cherry picked and will overclock liek crazy....sometimes..then again...no warranty

ricercar
07-26-04, 06:08 PM
double post deleted

ricercar
07-26-04, 06:19 PM
Caveat Lector: some NVIDIA reference boards have slow RAMs, or are otherwise unsuitable for gaming.

For example, I have two NV35 reference boards (1 Geforce Ultra and 1 Quadro GL) and they each have paltry 250/500 MHz DDR RAMs, where retail NV35 has something like 450/900 RAMs. Very disappointing when I got them home, but i suppose the lack of any RAMsinks should have warned me they were unusual.