PDA

View Full Version : oh god this cant be happening

hellnhavoc
07-26-04, 12:10 PM
i installed my componets into a new case.... only thing new was a power supply everything ran great... i installed this bfg 6800 ultra /was a radeon 9700 . i load up windows here a grinding noise... then once xp was loaded about 10 secs later the grinding turns so loud it sounds like a garbage disposal... my monitor cuts out then all my power shuts down now the only thing that comes on is the case fans.... cpu doesnt even kick on.... hell i even start removing pieces and i dont even get the warning beeps... my motherboard is completely dead wtf... i already tried removing battery and resetting cmos and what not.... this is unreal and bfg hasnt called me back yet like they said they would...

Sazar
07-26-04, 04:49 PM
so what was grinding may I ask?

what cpu did you have going?

if it was a p4 or an amd64 processor you should not have cpu damage... if it was an AXP board of decent quality it woulda tripped if the cpu temps crossed a threshold...

hopefully its not a lost cause... keep us posted on whats going on m8.. and best of luck..

UDawg
07-26-04, 06:51 PM
Grinding sounds like a HDD problem. There isn't anything on the board that would grind. I am not even sure there would be a grinding sound on the PSU unless the fan was fakked up, even then the PSU would over heat and crap out.

Sazar
07-26-04, 07:13 PM
jah... hdd's may grind but fans can grind as well... when i got my 3.0c my fan was grinding terribly when I first installed it...

fortunately since it was a p4 the cpu just powered down to prevent overheating and allowed me time to turn it off...

turned out one of the wires had been attached improperly and one of the fan blades was bent a little.. coupla mins... little pushing and all was well again :)

UDawg
07-26-04, 08:34 PM
Here is what I am thinking. If it is the HDD then of course it wont POST. If it was the PSU then he would not have the fans running. So I am narrowing it down (with the information he gave) to the HDD, CPU. If the fan on the CPU ground to a halt then it would burn up the chip even if the temp threshold is set especialy if it is a rapid heat up as a dead fan would create.

Of course I could be full of crap. :D

hellnhavoc
07-26-04, 09:37 PM
the grinding was the geforce fan... how do i know this i put my ear down there. if the hard drive wasnt in there you would get a beep noise.... i have concluded that the motherboard is dead... a bfg manager explained it like this because of unusaual amounts of power my motherboard attempted to compensate for this new power and made a mistake and caused a voltage spike that fried the motherboard

garikfox
07-27-04, 01:36 AM
Let it GRIND or add some WD-40 :)

evilchris
07-27-04, 02:02 AM
the grinding was the geforce fan... how do i know this i put my ear down there. if the hard drive wasnt in there you would get a beep noise.... i have concluded that the motherboard is dead... a bfg manager explained it like this because of unusaual amounts of power my motherboard attempted to compensate for this new power and made a mistake and caused a voltage spike that fried the motherboard

That sounds like BS. ( what the manager told you ) Why was the fan grinding? Was there mechanical interference?

sytaylor
07-27-04, 02:05 AM
The "because of unusual amounts of power" is an excuse to try and blame you and not their own components. They're at fault, get a replacement out of them.

Sazar
07-27-04, 10:18 AM
do your motherboards capacitors look swollen (specially around the cpu socket) coz a voltage spike will cause them to swell...

also if the GPU's fan was grinding no matter what the BFG guy says THAT is the culprit and you deserve an RMA.. not quite sure how it works for the motherboard, typically I don't see other devices die at the same time..

fan's don't just grind... had my p4 not had a clock throttle based on thermal thresholds it would have fried also.. now whenever I place an active heatsink in my computer I always make sure the fan is moving freely...

IIRC someone else on NVN had a problem with an nv40's fan grinding... i suggest you search for it from about a month or so ago...

also can you list what sort of system you have? ie cpu/motherboard info and what not... always helps when trying to get to the bottom of things :)

Riptide
07-27-04, 11:05 AM
Well if the fan is grinding and experiencing a lot of resistance is it possible that could cause some sort of overvolt that might not only fry the card but also the rest of his system?

Githss
07-27-04, 11:36 AM
Sounds bad man. What a coincidence that your motherboard or whatever crapped out just after you installed your GeForce card. :sry:

BTW, I am a (newb) to this forum. Say hi.

Githss
07-27-04, 11:37 AM
Well if the fan is grinding and experiencing a lot of resistance is it possible that could cause some sort of overvolt that might not only fry the card but also the rest of his system?

Just the fan would go. Holding the fan or creating resistance will cause the motor to heat up and burn out.

UDawg
07-27-04, 12:19 PM
do your motherboards capacitors look swollen (specially around the cpu socket) coz a voltage spike will cause them to swell...

also if the GPU's fan was grinding no matter what the BFG guy says THAT is the culprit and you deserve an RMA.. not quite sure how it works for the motherboard, typically I don't see other devices die at the same time..

fan's don't just grind... had my p4 not had a clock throttle based on thermal thresholds it would have fried also.. now whenever I place an active heatsink in my computer I always make sure the fan is moving freely...

IIRC someone else on NVN had a problem with an nv40's fan grinding... i suggest you search for it from about a month or so ago...

also can you list what sort of system you have? ie cpu/motherboard info and what not... always helps when trying to get to the bottom of things :)

Worth quoting. ;)

Githss
07-27-04, 01:04 PM
Sounds like a smart guy.

hellnhavoc
07-27-04, 09:43 PM
system now is as follows

my new ultra 6800 will shipped shortly they did say they would replace that
(was radeon 9700)
i have a new asus board in the mail as we speak...was an msi k8t neo

2 front intake fans 1 side fan 2 rear exhaust.... 3 are blue led...

brandnew ultra 600 watt power supply
athlon64 3400 stock speeds... (only used to have 2 exhaust fans and it would get a bit hot)
1gig kingston memory
sound blaster audigy 2 zs
brandnew 80gig western digital cavier hard drive
cheap cd-rom /rw

Githss
07-28-04, 12:09 AM
Nice specs. That is one killer system. BTW is that the UEE edition 6800??