PDA

View Full Version : How to Install 9.0c Official redist over the beta's..follow these instructions

Pages : [1] 2

aAv7
07-26-04, 02:19 PM
So if you were like me, you went and installed the 9.0c beta's a while back when you got your new 6800nu/gt/ultra. Well Microsoft released the redist. version @ their website...wanna install it over the beta's? If you try by downloading the software and just installing over the beta's...you'll notice nothing happens....your brought right to the finish screen without any installation taking place. If your like me, and dont want to reinstall the OS for a dx update...just follow these steps. This has only been tried on Windows XP.

1.) Download the redist from microsft here : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=9226a611-62fe-4f61-aba1-914185249413

2.) Go to "start" then "run" type in " regedit " but without the " "

3.) Browse to then remove the following key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DirectX (dont delete ANYTHING else, just that one directx folder)

4.) Reboot

5.) Go to "start" then "run" now type in "dxdiag", when the main page loads up it should show next to directx version, "not available"

6.) Now install the dx9.0c you got from the microsoft website via the link above, you will then need to reboot again automatically

7.) Once you reboot go back to start, run, dxdiag...you will now see where directx version: once said "not available" now says "dx9.0c"

EDIT: This doesnt seem to work with sp rc2/dx9.0c installed. Only works with those who installed the stand-alone dx9.0c beta (the one which requires you to enter safe mode to apply the hot fixes) Sorry for the delay with this information, but it's just come to my attention now, as some users are having problems whom have sp rc2.

Your done! Enjoy!

kahloq
07-26-04, 02:22 PM
Question? What about those of us that didnt isntall the beta? Also, what about the file that Farcry seems to want? Someone said it wasnt included with this, but it is in the SDK

cam9786
07-26-04, 02:24 PM
Thanks a bundle ultimate! Sticky?

Dot50Cal
07-26-04, 02:29 PM
Sticky! Doing it right now, Ill report if anything changes. Thanks man!

kahloq
07-26-04, 02:31 PM
If anyone is curious, the SDK has the updated fxc.exe that the FarCry patch readme said you needed. May be interesting to see if you get different benchmark results with the new version.

This is why I am asking if I should be installing the redistribution 9.0c or the SDK Summer 2004. Both say they are published today.

aAv7
07-26-04, 02:35 PM
the redist. doesnt give the fxc.exe file..I just checked....the sdk does. If you didnt install the 9.0c beta...then you dont have to worry, your's will install fine without needing to follow these instructions. =)

And to everyone else...your welcome. :)

kahloq
07-26-04, 02:35 PM
Ok Ultimate17 so I should use the SDK then right?

aAv7
07-26-04, 02:37 PM
yea, use the sdk-or just ask for the fxc.exe from someone who already downloaded the sdk....i'm gonna download the sdk myself so I can get the .exe-I can send it to you if you need it when I'm done. (Its a 233mb d/l, so if your on dial-up...naturally the 34mb d/l would be better)

kahloq
07-26-04, 02:37 PM
I already got both downloaded LOL im on cable

aAv7
07-26-04, 02:40 PM
ok cool =)

Shaitan
07-26-04, 02:44 PM
" just ask for the fxc.exe from someone who already downloaded the sdk"

can someone post this? Thx

kahloq
07-26-04, 02:44 PM
how much extra crap does SDK put on my hardrive. Especially crap I dun need since Im not a developer. Is there a way to get the 9.0c and the fxc.exe from SDK without installing everything else that comes with it? And if there is, where do I put the fxc.exe file?

aAv7
07-26-04, 03:08 PM
i downloaded both.....what I did was install the 34mb dx9.0c redist, then d/l'd and extracted the sdk, cancelled the install....went to the folder(i put it on desktop) copied the fxc.exe file into the bin32 folder of FarCry....and now im good to go. SDK puts alot of useless stuff on your HD unless your a programmer or like to mess with that sort of thing. I've also read the sdk seems to have older files when installing dx9.0c.

kahloq
07-26-04, 03:19 PM
Heh did the same thing you did Ultimate17 LOL

EngenZerO
07-26-04, 03:41 PM
anyone using SP2 RC2 install this yet? For some reason even with the instructions above I cant get it to install?

Mikeyb
07-26-04, 03:45 PM
Followed the instructions and Dx will NOT REINSTALL! it just go right to compeleted. Thus it is still no DX version. When I try with the SDK it says I have Blank version and I need 9 to run this uodate.

aAv7
07-26-04, 03:45 PM
HMM..weird...I installed the basic dx9.0c linked on this site. (the one where u have to enter safe mode to install the hot fixes) I dont have the sp rc2....but seeing as that was released by microsoft...it should have installed right over the old files....how about uninstalling the sp2? Maybe that will work. (Since its a beta)

aAv7
07-26-04, 03:47 PM
Followed the instructions and Dx will NOT REINSTALL! it just go right to compeleted. Thus it is still no DX version. When I try with the SDK it says I have Blank version and I need 9 to run this uodate.

It going right to completed w/o installing the files, is the problem you get before following these instructions, so you must of deleted the wrong file or not followed something correctly. Try it again. Unless you have sp/rc2..i think that needs a different work around, i'll have to edit the first post.

EngenZerO
07-26-04, 03:48 PM
uhmm... i think sp2 has the same version... dunno. LOL. I guess I will just wait it out... I plan on doing a reformat once SP2 is non-beta... so I will use this for now, :)

Mikeyb
07-26-04, 03:49 PM
Well Now how do I fix that I got no DX version :) I got sP2

aAv7
07-26-04, 03:49 PM
uhmm... i think sp2 has the same version... dunno. LOL. I guess I will just wait it out... I plan on doing a reformat once SP2 is non-beta... so I will use this for now, :)

lol. well if their the same version then that would make sense. :)

aAv7
07-26-04, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE=Mikeyb]Well Now how do I fix that I got no DX version :) I got sP2[/QUOTE

I think you should probably re-apply sp2. That should bring you back to where you were, and problem free.

Mikeyb
07-26-04, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE=Mikeyb]Well Now how do I fix that I got no DX version :) I got sP2[/QUOTE

I think you should probably re-apply sp2. That should bring you back to where you were, and problem free.

Ok i'll do that later games seem to work so ah Well.

Shaitan
07-26-04, 04:06 PM
I followed the instructions and it reinstalled no problemos. All files 2162.

aAv7
07-26-04, 04:07 PM
glad to hear it. seems sp rc2 people are having the trouble..if the standalone version was installed, you should be problem free =) Naturally it worked fine for me as well.