PDA

View Full Version : Omg 3 New Doom3 Reviews!!

Pages : [1] 2

Phoking
07-26-04, 03:54 PM
PC Powerplay
Final Verdict:
For
- Gripping atmosphere
- Superb level design
- Perfect weapon balance
- Awesome graphics

Against
- We honestly can't think of any

Overall
A frighteningly intense experience and an absolute masterpiece of FPS design.

Score:
96/100

PC Games
This is what they say about the game:

Technic: Very Good (94%)
+ Very scary and moody indoor levels
+ Superb light and shadow FX
+ bump mapping everywhere
+ excellent monster animations
- only few physic FX

Athmosphere: Very good (90%)
+ Shocking moments one after another
+ Dark and sinister places
+ Diabolical monsters
+ Very sparse, but very fitting background music
- non-stop-shooting instead of subtile horror

Game design: good (88%)
+ a huge inferno: the hell levels
+ no unneeded stuff like gun-turrets, focus on gunfights
+ good SP playing time (20+ hours)
+ smooth flow of the game
- sometimes very confusing level-designs

Multiplayer: not allowed to give score
+ editor is on the dvd
+ very solid deathmatches (whatever that should mean)
- only four players at the same time
- only four playing modes
- only five maps

Over score: not allowed to give score
They say that some US mags have the exclusive right to give the scores before the game is released. The mag got a full version but was not allowed to give it a score before the game is released. They will give the score in the next mag and on the website.

*edit: Performance information from PC Games*

"This was our test system:
Activision provided us with a handpicked/custom built Alienware PC System with the following stats: Pentium 4 3Ghz, 1024 MB Ram (DDR 400), Geforce 6800 GT, Audigy2-Soundboard with 5.1 Surround.

We played with the following settings:
We used a resolution of 1600x1200 pixel and "high details". The setting "very high details" (ULTRA) is only available to 512 mb RAM graphicboards. Activision told is that the only difference is that the textures are not compressed in memory, but the textures on high details are the same quality. (but need to be uncompressed which results in a slower performance than with a 512 mb card)

How it ran:
The shooter played with high setting very smoothly with framerates between 40 and 60 fps (60 fps is the cap on framerates. Sometimes when we entered a large, new level area or had multiple enemies on the screen, the framerate would drop. The loading times (compared to Far Cry) were longer, (above average).

Our opinion:
Due to the high resolution in our test, we can safely assume that Doom 3 will run on older graphics cards (Radeon 9500/GeForce 4 Ti) in low res smoothly. CPU and Ram should be above 2 Ghz and 256 MB, 512 MB are necessary. Since Activision didn't allow us to use our own testsystem or even exchange parts of the provided system, we will provide a full benchmark with the next magazine"

PC Action: No ratings

Theres full scans online if u check other forums (3DReams)

Theres plenty of spoilers so its up to u if u wanna check them out.. I can't freekin wait till aug 3!!

:drooling: :drooling: :drooling: :drooling: :drooling:

Edited by vamp: link removed as it contains images of the PC Gamer review

Nutty
07-26-04, 04:04 PM
The scans seem awfully washed out. They dont do the game justice imo.

I'm trying (unsuccessfully) not to look at too much D3 reviews.. I dont want to spoil the surprise when I play it myself.

Vanzagar
07-26-04, 04:11 PM
Could someone please post the text from some of these reviews, some of us at work can't view any game related sites...

Thanks,

GamerGuyX
07-26-04, 04:20 PM
Oh god d****t! :argh: I have seen to much already...must...forget...what...I saw... (whine)

XZiBiT
07-26-04, 04:22 PM
Come on August !!!!!

Phoking
07-26-04, 04:22 PM
Could someone please post the text from some of these reviews, some of us at work can't view any game related sites...

Thanks,

Its kind of hard to read the australian scan but here's some highlights from it:

Saw the scans of it. It's from PC Powerplay (a popular Aussie mag).

No mention of "lame attempts at humour", the reviewer said it "provides a much needed comic touch" amidst the tension. Reviewer seems very impressed with the level design, saying that it's exceptionally well-done for a space station.

Some worthy quotes:
"DOOM 3 is akin to a heavenly experience."

"The bar has been genuinely raised for the first time since Half-Life. DOOM 3 is the best first-person shooter ever made."

"The DOOM 3 shotgun - and believe me when I say I don't speak lightly here - is perhaps the single greatest thing ever."

"DOOM 3 is an exemplary case of just how an exquisitely balanced weapon economy can mine greater depth from a seemingly simple situation."

"Shadowy figures dart across your periphery vision, crazed voices call out for you to follow, satanic runes pulse along the walls, the screen distorts or drips blood and you'll surrender control for a moment all in an effort to unsettle you and sustain an ever present sense of menace."

"... the tale is predominantly told via voice and video links with the other main characters, while the finer details are further fleshed out through accessing emails and video and audio logs on the PDAs of the dead or missing."

"Early on you find an email from a guy complaining that an ordered shipment of jackhammers turned out to be chainsaws instead. 'What the hell were they thinking?' he writes. 'Chainsaws serve no purpose on Mars!' ;)"

Final Verdict:
For
- Gripping atmosphere
- Superb level design
- Perfect weapon balance
- Awesome graphics

Against
- We honestly can't think of any

Overall
A frighteningly intense experience and an absolute masterpiece of FPS design.

Score:
96/100

SH64
07-26-04, 04:54 PM
You should've included a spoliers alert in the title .. :(

Phoking
07-26-04, 05:03 PM
You should've included a spoliers alert in the title .. :(

is it not that obvious?

Vanzagar
07-26-04, 05:23 PM
thanks for the pasted info phoking...

LiquidX
07-26-04, 05:52 PM
I am purposely avoiding every damn review of DOOM3 both online and news stand. Also trying not to look at any screen shots, I want to go in fresh and to be scrared like crap when D-Day comes. :drooling:

SH64
07-26-04, 06:11 PM
is it not that obvious?

I know , but i'm just like what the others said .. i try to avoid reading more reviews which reveals more info thats eventually spolies the game IMO . (i'm only interested on the final vecrdit & the game rating )

oh well .. i'll close my eyes now until the game is out ! :wong:

jAkUp
07-26-04, 06:28 PM
Nice :)
http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=605247&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1
http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=604837&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1
http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/%7Eblur/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2919

majortom
07-26-04, 07:22 PM
just reading the reviews made me change my pants... whoops, gotta change them again.

SH64
07-26-04, 07:32 PM
Thanks Phoking for editing the contents ! :)

now we can enjoy knowing more of the game features without spoiling the events & surprises within the game ! :drooling:

Pafet
07-26-04, 08:05 PM
I'm glad about the level design comments. Lately in games it's like 'go forward, forward , forward, end of level'. Levels in older games always seemed so complex.
I also hope they brought back secret areas and secret levels.

-=DVS=-
07-26-04, 08:16 PM
:drooling: :drooling: :drooling: can't :drooling: :drooling: wait :drooling: :drooling: any :drooling: :drooling: longer :drooling: need DOOM

betterdan
07-26-04, 08:29 PM
:drooling: :drooling: can't :drooling: :drooling: wait :drooling: :drooling: any :drooling: :drooling: longer :drooling: need DOOM

Doom is old just wait until Doom 3 comes out next week ;)

DaveW
07-26-04, 08:41 PM
Who do I have to suck off to get the game a week early?

jAkUp
07-26-04, 08:43 PM
Me :D

SH64
07-26-04, 08:49 PM

Carmak himself !! :eek:

majortom
07-26-04, 09:06 PM
im trying sooo hard to keep from reading any reviews. too much hype = overexpectation = game will never live up to expectation. this happened with unreal 2 (of course, the game sucked but thats another matter). im going to refrain from reading anything on this until i have played it........ggaaaaa CARMACK IS A GEEK GOD!!

MUYA
07-26-04, 09:12 PM
I got mine on pre-order in a shop in Hong Kong! :D August 3rd...thats means August 2nd for u guys in the US and early morning in Euro! :D

SH64
07-26-04, 09:16 PM
Are you planning to play it on your 9700 .. ?? or you got a 6800 on the way before the release date ? :D

Gogeta
07-26-04, 09:35 PM
Nice :)
http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=605247&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1
http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=604837&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1
http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/%7Eblur/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2919

very gory indeed.

Gogeta
07-26-04, 09:38 PM

I hope thats the brit way of saying "suck up to"...