PDA

View Full Version : w00t! GeForce 6800nu with dual-DVI!!!

XanderF
07-26-04, 03:29 PM
Check it out (http://www.gameve.com/gve/Store/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=VC-XFX-029)!! Just ordered one of these. GTs and Ultras simply *out* of my price range, but wanted dual DVI.

Well, here it is.

AFAIK, this is the only brand offering it at this price point. The next card down with dual-DVI from any brand is the GeForce 5700 Ultra or Radeon 9600.

sw33t

ChrisRay
07-26-04, 03:38 PM
Grats The 6800NU are nice cards, Despite what some people believe, Unless you play @ 1600x1200 with 4x AA they do pretty adequate.

XanderF
07-26-04, 03:54 PM
The goal is 1280x1024 for most games (single LCD native res) and 2560x1024 for one or two (dual-monitor). For single-LCD games, this card should be plenty. I can't go any higher res if I wanted to, and 4xAA is fine for me. In fact, I'm looking forward to RGMS again (had a few Radeons a bit back, and 4xOGMS....just doesn't look as good).

For the twin-monitor games....well, there just aren't many that support that very well. SimCity 4, Flight Sim 2002/2004, Serious Sam (split screen with another player)....that's about it. While many shooters *would*, playing a shooter across 2 screens is all but impossible as the bullseye is on the edge of the screen, then. So, for all the ones it works okay on in the game, a 6800nu is PLENTY of graphics card for it.

Clay
07-26-04, 03:58 PM
Cool, would like to see a picture of it. Here's the info on it (http://www.xfxforce.com/product_view.php?sku=PVT40KND) from the XFX website.

EDIT: I posted a link to this on our front page, thanks for the heads up XanderF :thumbsup:

ragejg
07-26-04, 04:33 PM
I'm *really* interested in dual monitor performance in split-screen mode in Serious Sam (second encounter, right?)... I haven't any clue what a modern PC coupled with a decent vidcard could do in that situation...

Heh, can fraps capture fps on both screens? :p

Zetto
07-26-04, 04:52 PM
Can't just emulate 1 display in dual-screen mode? I thought that's how the forceware behaves... U enable dual-screen acceleration, and it considers it one screen with desktop/game stretched accross the two.

XanderF
07-26-04, 05:16 PM
I think he's referring to the resolution (IE., 2560 x 1024 is....pretty huge), but, yeah, that's one mode of nVidia's multi-display mode. Matrox can do the same thing, and it's how most 'multi-monitor' capable games actually do multi-monitor. The game just has to support odd resolutions is all, and your monitor makes up the rest of it. Neat thing is, with .ini file editting, virtually all games support multi-monitor in this fashion. Only those hard-coded with a small set of resolutions really don't. (BTW, ATI can't do this, and has no official plans to add it, which is one of the sources of the 'ATI multi-monitor support sucks' comments)

Anyway, I haven't installed SS (have it, just not installed yet), but I can comment on Flight Sim 2002 in multi-monitor mode.
1) It's FREAKING COOL
2) Performance does take a dive, but not more than the resolution would indicate. First off, FS2002 is an odd duck because it limits you to 1152 x 864 doubled, rather than 1280 x 1024 (something about the way it uses the DX API?). Anyway, running at 2304 x 864 is slower than 1280 x 1024 because you are rendering so many more pixels, not due to some inherent limitation of the technology. On my 5900XT, I find it quite playable still. The whole scene - on both monitors - is 3d accelerated, anti-aliased, the whole nine yards. It looks GOOD.

XanderF
07-26-04, 07:49 PM
BTW, since some of the 'details' on that item were fishy (256mb 256-bit DDR, 16-pipe, etc), I was concerned maybe they just copied the details from the 6800 Ultra details, and the dual-DVI was an artifact of that.

Well, rest easy, that's not so. It IS a 12-pipe, 128mb 6800nu....that has dual DVI.

That's so kickass it's not even funny.