PDA

View Full Version : Is there any real bottleneck on the 6800?

tieros
07-26-04, 10:39 PM
It seems like the only thing holding it back is availability of higher speed DDR3. They don't seem to be having any problems producing 400MHz+ cores. If anything, they are making them too well and eating into their Ultra sales :)

More memory bandwidth would help the higher AA/AF settings, but they are at the mercy of the RAM producers for that :nutkick:

This is definitely going to be a hard act to follow for them, but I'm looking forward to the show :)

Clay
07-26-04, 10:42 PM
It seems like the only thing holding it back is availability of higher speed DDR3. They don't seem to be having any problems producing 400MHz+ cores. If anything, they are making them too well and eating into their Ultra sales :)

More memory bandwidth would help the higher AA/AF settings, but they are at the mercy of the RAM producers for that :nutkick:

This is definitely going to be a hard act to follow for them, but I'm looking forward to the show :)
Well the lower core does introduce a bit of a bottleneck regarding fillrate when you get up to 1600x1200 4xAA/16xAF. However, the ForceWare drivers have a lot of room to grow so I'm confident that we'll see this gap continue to close...it's not even a gap 100% of the time, just under certain conditions.