PDA

View Full Version : Aopen 6800GT cooler pretty loud...

lapino
07-27-04, 03:31 AM
Well,

I've been enjoying this 6800GT for 3 days now (my X800PRO is in RMA) and while the card is doing great, I have 2 issues which I don't think can be 'fixed' :

1. The cooler is NOISY. it's *very* loud at bootup, but once in winXP it slows down a little, but still is very audible (this is in a Soltek Qbic Barebone). the X800PRo definitely was a LOT more silent then this 6800GT. I have the waterblocks to watercool the X800 but these don't fit on a 6800GT. Dangerden is working on a new waterblock for the 6800-series but it costs...shock...125$ !!

2. Image Quality is definitely NOT on part with the X800-series. Especially shadows in FarCry look bad compared to the ati cards. When using AA/AF, I also get some 'shimmering' in the distance on some textures. Got also some games with missing textures (Arx Fatalis). Using driver 61.76.

mustrum
07-27-04, 04:49 AM
That's exactly why i finally decided against the GT. Nothing wrong with your aopen, the GT's are louder than x800s.
I am sure the arctic cooling VGA silencer GF6 edition will solve that problem though. Reference design coolers usually suck. The ATI one is not too great either i hear.

lapino
07-27-04, 04:53 AM
yeah. too bad the DangerDen 6800 cooler which is in production now and should be available soon enough costs a whopping 125$ !!! that's a lot of money to add to an already expensive card!

(especially considering I also have a X800PRo which accepts my Maze4 GPU cooler without a problem)

mustrum
07-27-04, 05:07 AM
yeah. too bad the DangerDen 6800 cooler which is in production now and should be available soon enough costs a whopping 125$ !!! that's a lot of money to add to an already expensive card!

(especially considering I also have a X800PRo which accepts my Maze4 GPU cooler without a problem)

125!!! That's a very bad joke!!

lapino
07-27-04, 05:26 AM
this is what I got in my mailbox :

Hi Hans,

Now don't let this hurt you too much but the cost of the 6800 will be very high, sorry here is its price $124.99. Ouch, I know that is very high but the machining time involed with this block causes the high cost not to mention the 240mm square piece of copper that it takes to make it.

Best Regards
Dan Stephens
---@dangerden.com

Very friendly ppl there btw!

Mavke
07-27-04, 11:10 AM
Well,

I've been enjoying this 6800GT for 3 days now (my X800PRO is in RMA) and while the card is doing great, I have 2 issues which I don't think can be 'fixed' :

1. The cooler is NOISY. it's *very* loud at bootup, but once in winXP it slows down a little, but still is very audible (this is in a Soltek Qbic Barebone). the X800PRo definitely was a LOT more silent then this 6800GT. I have the waterblocks to watercool the X800 but these don't fit on a 6800GT. Dangerden is working on a new waterblock for the 6800-series but it costs...shock...125$ !!

2. Image Quality is definitely NOT on part with the X800-series. Especially shadows in FarCry look bad compared to the ati cards. When using AA/AF, I also get some 'shimmering' in the distance on some textures. Got also some games with missing textures (Arx Fatalis). Using driver 61.76.

Would you be able to supply me the Backup of the AOpen 6800 GT BIOS?
How to backup your BIOS :
http://www.mvktech.net/content.php?article.24
All explained :-)

And if you get that backup also send it to me please (mavke@mvktech.net)

Regards,
Mavke