PDA

View Full Version : x2 The Threat

nvnews-reader
07-27-04, 09:35 AM
Anyone else playing X2 the Threat? It was released last year (i think) but I just got it last week. I love to build stuff so I figured it'd be fun.

Thought I would be dominating by now but so far I only have 2 solar power plants and a wheat farm. And I've put some serious time into it.

I tried to trade/build my way up but dang it's impossible. When do you hit critical mass?

:surrender

LycosV
07-27-04, 09:51 AM
I played through X2, it was a fun game but the single player storyline was kind of underwhelming. It just kind of cut off. Not to mention at the end there is no point you need or even could've really used any ship over a the size of a Heavy Fighter. The heavy ships are annoying anyway, you're in a battleship flying in a straight line, some shmuck trader flying towards you doesn't turn till the last possible second, collides with your ship and explodes. Guess who gets blamed? YOU!

Also, you can continue playing after the main storyline is over, but they really didn't put in that much flexibility into the whole build am empire thing. You put in tons of hours to get all that stuff to realize there's nothing to really DO. Not to mention the only threat to your empire is the khakk (who no matter what kind of AI ships you have defending your bases it's is like playing a slot machine: even if you win you've lost so much money all the other times you're only breaking even)

Bottomline: The game is fun without a doubt, there hasn't been a good space sim released in a long time, but at the same time there are some massive shortcomings. Play through the single player storyline. If you want after that you can see if you want to try and save up for a carrier/battleship.

nvnews-reader
07-27-04, 10:06 AM
So you can't eliminate them? I was hoping to at least start a war with the other civs and takeover part of the galaxy. :confused: I haven't really been following the storyline. Only did the first couple missions. :wtf:

Riptide
07-27-04, 10:54 AM
This game has some absolutely beautiful graphics. I love running the rolling demo. Nice spacey music, great atmosphere, love those nebulas. :thumbsup:

Slybri
07-27-04, 12:35 PM
Theres a new patch out for it now that improves the AI of the ships, so no more head on crashes. It also supposedly adds more character and lifelike detail to the game, though I havent noticed this yet...just some patrol in the presidents end sector. Really, this new patch fixed and added everything that people in the forums had been asking for. I'm impressed.

The graphics are beautiful. Really perfect game to show off my new 6800gt.
1600x1200 on my 22' monitor and full eye candy and speed. Plus it supports dual monitors, so if you have a second monitor you can see your target or external views on the second screen. I've tried it and its really nice. Looks uber-cool. Not very useful though, just cool looking. I only wish there was a way to put the sector map on the second screen. That would be useful.

Aside from the lame story and cutscenes, it's really a great game. More like a space MMORPG without other PC's. It's slow paced, but with all the eye candy to look at you'll stay interested.

LycosV
07-27-04, 04:35 PM
I saw about the new patch. It lets you take over khakk ships as well. As I said the game is fun, no doubt. I just wished they put in a little more flexibility like the different races fighting on their own taking territory from each other. There are so many little things they could've done to make the game SO much better.