PDA

View Full Version : Bad AGP slot?

Fatman
07-27-04, 04:30 PM
Something really wacky is going on. P4C800E mobo was running fine with GF4600ti. I plug in the 6800U. Can't even power on. NOTHING, like the switch is dead. Plug 6800u into CUSL2 P3 based mobo, it's working ok. What could be causing this? Is the AGP slot on P4C800E bad?

Githss
07-28-04, 01:10 AM
That's weird. did you plug the card into the power supply?? BTW what was the rating on the power supply again??

Fatman
07-28-04, 02:55 AM
I tried the card with both molex connectors on, only primary on, both off. Same result, no power up. In the P3 box, the card works ok EVEN ON 250Watt PSU, WITHOUT molex's connected. Im about to trun to religion, I can't explain this otherwise. P4 system PSU is Antec 480.

Fatman
07-29-04, 05:09 PM
Just had a funny conversation with BFG tech support guy Mike. He calls me up says, that they have no idea what the problem is, and they passed on the problem to Nvidia. Nvidia should get back to them by Monday, at which point they will call me back. So I asked Mike what is going to happen on Monday, is he just going to call me back and tell me that it's not compatible with Asus P4C800E board? (Which is just rediculous IMO) Mike says that he doesn't know, but most likely he I'm going to have to go out and get a new motherboard. I say I did get a new motherboard 2 days ago. (Brand new P4C800E) I also tell Mike that another 6800U is working fine in my PC, also on Asus P4C800E. Mike goes silent for minute and says that I need a P4 mobo with 3.0 compliant AGP. I say, Mike, it is a 3.0 AGP compliant board. And probably all i875 based boards are 3.0 AGP compliant. I also ask him if there is a particular motherboard that he knows of that WILL work with this card. Mike says he is going to pass these questions on to Nvidia and get back to me on Monday. Boy... I can't wait. Why can't they just admin it's a fubar'ed card?