PDA

View Full Version : Disabling IRQ support for VGA and USB in BIOS Setup?

MtViewGuy
07-27-04, 03:54 PM
Folks,

I am currently running an Abit AB-BP6 motherboard with dual-Celeron 500 MHz CPU's under Windows 2000 Professional (Service Pack 4).

Question: can I safely disable assigning an IRQ level to VGA and USB in BIOS Setup without affecting the performance of the AGP port graphics card and USB ports on the motherboard in Win2K Pro? Is there a reason why we need to assign IRQ levels to VGA and USB?

-=DVS=-
07-27-04, 04:54 PM
Is there a reason why you need to disable it ? in moust mother boards it gives you option from Bios to assigne IRQ for VGA , probably windows will assigne one for it if its off from BIOS , Video Card as any other hardware can't work without resources , so i don't think you can fully prevent it from haveing IRQ.

Gator
07-27-04, 07:18 PM
Whether or not you want, a VGA card needs an IRQ setting. If you wanna free up IRQ's, a better way is to disable stuff you're not using like the serial ports, parellel ports, or anything else you don't need.

MtViewGuy
07-27-04, 07:20 PM
Is there a reason why you need to disable it ? in moust mother boards it gives you option from Bios to assigne IRQ for VGA , probably windows will assigne one for it if its off from BIOS , Video Card as any other hardware can't work without resources , so i don't think you can fully prevent it from haveing IRQ.

Actually, I just looked using Win2K's Device Manager screen and with the IRQ assignment for VGA disabled, I can still run the graphics on my AGP graphics card with no problems. I'm stumped. http://webpages.charter.net/connectingzone/think/17.gif

-=DVS=-
07-27-04, 07:29 PM
Actually, I just looked using Win2K's Device Manager screen and with the IRQ assignment for VGA disabled, I can still run the graphics on my AGP graphics card with no problems. I'm stumped. http://webpages.charter.net/connectingzone/think/17.gif

If you mean manually assigning irq to vga from windows , then yes you never can do that , you could do it in old days with things like soundcards ect.