PDA

View Full Version : 939 newcastle vs 754 ClawHammer

lytalbayre
07-27-04, 04:30 PM
Current setup is :

athlon 64 3200+ (Socket 754 Clawhammer w/1mb l2)
MSI K8N Neo Nforce 3 250gb
Corsair XMS-4000 Pro (DDR500)

Am thinking about upgrading to:

Athlon 64FX 3500+ (Socket 939 Newcastle w/512kb l2)
MSI K8N Neo2 Nforce 3 250 ultra
Same Memory

The Question is:

Will I see any performance gains? Is this worthwhile? I am thinking it's not, but I would like some feedback.

Thanks all.

Riptide
07-27-04, 04:34 PM
I'm guessing you'll see some performance increases but it won't be night and day. You may not even notice it except in benchmarks. If I were you I would stick with what you have until the 3500+ gets even cheaper. Yes, I know they just lowered the price by 20+%, but I think you need to wait until it gets around $250 before bothering with it. Plus, as you probably know, it'll be at least a couple more weeks before you can get that MSI board you want in skt939. :)

Gator
07-27-04, 07:20 PM
The performance difference would not be very noticable. But what video card do you have in that computer? It may be a wiser investment to upgrade the video card rather go from an A64 3200 to 3500. ;)

Viral
07-28-04, 01:50 AM
It depends on what type of upgrader you are.. Realistically you won't see much.

Personally if i had your system I would wait until nforce4 :)

EngenZerO
07-28-04, 09:58 AM
It depends on what type of upgrader you are.. Realistically you won't see much.

Personally if i had your system I would wait until nforce4 :)

i would wait for pcie, nforce4, 90nm chips.

lytalbayre
07-28-04, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the input. I basically agree that I should wait, but I'm sure you all know how tempting stuff like that is. I hear dual channel and it sounds sooo nice.

Aside from that, I have the BFG 6800 GT graphics card. I guess I should wait a year or so and then go out and do all the upgrading..... hopefully I can wait and save up for that long.

Thanks again!

Riptide
07-28-04, 10:14 AM
I'm very impressed w/the dual channel support in AMD64. My FX53 gets over 1GB/sec better bandwidth than my canterwood system did. :)

superklye
07-28-04, 10:33 AM
I'm very impressed w/the dual channel support in AMD64. My FX53 gets over 1GB/sec better bandwidth than my canterwood system did. :)

what is the difference between the on-chip dual channel controller and the mobo controller that i have on my nForce2?

Riptide
07-28-04, 11:35 AM
what is the difference between the on-chip dual channel controller and the mobo controller that i have on my nForce2?
Having integrated the memory controller right onto the die it ends up being much more efficient than previous designs. This is probably why I get additional bandwidth out of my FX vs. my "old" canterwood 875. Even @ the same timings AND clock speeds.

Dazz
07-28-04, 12:30 PM
The diffrence in the AMD64 single channel Vs sual channel isn't even noticable.

superklye
07-28-04, 02:38 PM
The diffrence in the AMD64 single channel Vs sual channel isn't even noticable.

so there really is no difference between the on-board Dual Channel that my nForce2 has and the on-die Dual Channel that A64s have?

Riptide
07-28-04, 03:00 PM
Sure, there's a design difference for one. The integrated controller has more available bandwidth AFAIK. That said, it doesn't make a huge difference overall performance-wise. Athlons have never been real needy for memory bandwidth in the first place, unlike the Pentium 4.

Gator
07-28-04, 03:11 PM
as Riptde said it's a design difference. The added speed running on the CPU itself, is also combined with one less step for the memory to get the data to and from the CPU. It creates for a simpler design, one less thing worry about ;)

CainSyris
07-28-04, 04:04 PM
The Athlon64 series don't get as much from a dual channel setup as an Intel P4 does. That said, its still a nice 5-10 percent boost (rarely much higher) as compared to the same chip without it.

Imho, if you go singlechannel, be sure you get 1024 L2 as I honestly don't think a 512kcacher with single channel is really that good at all, even at the clockspeed difference. If the choice is between a 3400+ with singlechannel and 512L2 or a 3500+ with dual channel and 512L2, then go for the latter and overclock it the extra 200mhz up to the speed that the Newcastle 3400+ comes stock at.

Myself, I gave up waiting on the MSI board and went the Gigabyte route for my nForce3Ultra goodness. Its a sweet board, but I do wish they had bothered to use the nVidia gigabit controller. Its been easily as stable as the IC7-G it replaced.

NOTE: I did have to turn off Fastwrites to get my GF6800GT to overclock reliably to Ultra levels. Before I did this, it would pause every now and again as though it were stuck, then unstick and continue on as though nothing happened. With it off, this behavior went away.

Viral
07-30-04, 04:35 AM
so there really is no difference between the on-board Dual Channel that my nForce2 has and the on-die Dual Channel that A64s have?

No, Dazz mean the performance difference between S754 single channel A64's and S939 Dual channel A64's is hardly noticable, which it isn't really. But there are other benefits of DC. For a general gaming PC though, the difference is negligible.

The difference between an S939 A64 and an nforce 2 400Ultra AXP will be around 2.5-3GB/s memory bandwidth. That's just bandwidth.. the actual performance difference is quite large. Depending on what AXP you are comparing to what A64.

Put it this way, an A64 2800+ is slightly faster than an AXP 3200+ :) I can't wait to upgrade ;p

superklye
07-30-04, 07:07 AM
No, Dazz mean the performance difference between S754 single channel A64's and S939 Dual channel A64's is hardly noticable, which it isn't really. But there are other benefits of DC. For a general gaming PC though, the difference is negligible.

The difference between an S939 A64 and an nforce 2 400Ultra AXP will be around 2.5-3GB/s memory bandwidth. That's just bandwidth.. the actual performance difference is quite large. Depending on what AXP you are comparing to what A64.

Put it this way, an A64 2800+ is slightly faster than an AXP 3200+ :) I can't wait to upgrade ;p

Thanks, I think I've got it now. :) And I also can't wait to upgrade :)