PDA

View Full Version : Doom3 for Win 2000/XP only

grubster
07-27-04, 06:14 PM
http://www.planetdoom.com/#PQN469982

"Well there have been rumours flying around lately that DOOM 3 would not be able to run on computers that have Windows 98 or Windows 98SE as their operating systems. Since we here at planetDOOM dislike rumours in all shapes and sizes, we went straight to the horses mouth so to speak and asked Activision themselves. The reply we got was that it is confirmed and indeed true that DOOM 3 will only run on Windows machines that have windows 2000 or XP and not lower. So there you have it, looks like some peoples upgrading woes just aren't quite over yet."

Not that you needed another excuse to drop those crummy os's. But i do find this interesting. Do other games do this too? Anyone know whats not in 98/ME that causes this?

jAkUp
07-27-04, 06:40 PM
I believe theif3 requires xp/2000 as well. I think its a good idea :)

nvnews-reader
07-27-04, 06:46 PM
I believe theif3 requires xp/2000 as well. I think its a good idea :)

Theif3 also requires a DX8 or above vid card. It's nice to see games are finally moving away from DOS and other outdated tech.

gorebrush
07-28-04, 05:05 AM
I've seen on way too many forums - people bitching about this game requiring such high levels of hardware and not supporting old OS's.

The fact is, without innovation at this kind of level, where do we ever expect to see innovation in new hardware too? I think Doom3 is finally the first title in a very good while that actually has caught up with the capabilities of hardware, and I truly hope that Half Life 2 does the same, the industry NEEDS this innovation in order to bring out better hardware and make use of this hardware.

On a similar note, why on earth should we still be using Win98/Me? I stopped using it about 5 years ago, and never looked back.

I've been a strong supporter of Win2K and XP, 2K especially, as it is still a very strong OS, and is just leagues ahead of 98SE IMHO.

Pafet
07-28-04, 08:17 AM
What'll make it not work on Win98?
Lots of games now say "Win 98 not supported" but not playable?

Riptide
07-28-04, 08:52 AM
Now if they can just start packaging these games on DVD by default... :)

That's one "innovation" whose time has come.

Kamel
07-28-04, 10:45 AM
i just hope they come out with a linux version :bleh:

Vash
07-28-04, 12:08 PM
i just hope they come out with a linux version :bleh:

IIRC, the Linux binaries will be released a few days after the game hits the shelves. :clap: