PDA

View Full Version : My computer died!!!! :cry:

Severian126
07-27-04, 09:40 PM
Before we start off, here's my PC Spec:

Model: Gateway 700XL
CPU: P4 3.02 GHz w/ HT
Motherboard: ????
Ram: 1 Gig of DDR (don't know exact type...came w/ Gateway)
GPU: Geforce 6800 Ultra
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition

Hopefully that's all you guys need. Anyway, here's my problem:

Got home, downloaded and installed (after safe mode delete of previous driver) Forceware 61.77 by Nvidia. Had installed DX 9.0c yesteday. Anyway, after everything installed, I tried running morrowind with AF x4 AA x4 (since the game has no settings controls for these in-game). While loading up the game, my computer froze. So I rebooted.

Upon rebooting, I get the normal Gateway screen, but Windows doesn't load, so I booted again. This time, no Gateway screen pops up. My computer turns on, and that's about it. It doesn't turn on my monitor anymore. It seems like it turns on then stays in limbo. I thought it was my 6800 Ultra, so I took it out and installed my old 9700 Pro, and still same story. Anybody have any ideas? I've tried calling Gateway tech, but they apparently don't know what the problem is. The first guy panicked after 5 minutes and hung up on me....talk about great service eh?

So what seems to be the problem? I'm just a novice PC user and I haven't a clue. :( This computer is a little over a year old and has not given me a problem until now. Could it be the new DX9.0c and the new 61.77 Forceware driver? I haven't tested out the new 61.77, because Morrowind was the first game I tried. Now my computer is dead, and I'm pretty bummed out...and p'ed off!

Any help would be appreciated! I'll take it into a PC repair shop if all else fails, but I know there are a bunch of smart people here, so I want to get your feedbacks. HELP! :bash:

Sazar
07-27-04, 09:46 PM
motherboard info woulda helped...

do you know anything about your power supply unit?

Severian126
07-27-04, 10:17 PM
I'll look up the info for my board.

I bought a new PSU a few weeks ago along with my GF 6800 U. It's an Allied 500 W PSU.

netviper13
07-27-04, 10:20 PM
Try turning on the computer with no video card installed, if you get a series of beeps then you know everything else is find and you just have two dead cards, but that's not too likely.

If you don't get any beeps, then it's likely either your motherboard or your PSU is dead. If you still have the old PSU try swapping it in.

Severian126
07-27-04, 10:23 PM
I've tried turning on the PC w/out any video card and yeah, it does beep. Still, I find it highly unlikely that both cards are dead. The 9700 Pro was in top condition when I took it out, and the Geforce 6800 Ultra is still new and gave me no problem.

Lemme describe the problem again. :)

I turn on the PC, I see the light for my CD and DVD drive blink, but nothing happens. You know the sound your hard drive make whne it's loading up? I don't even get that. It just starts up and stays quite. It's really weird. Coudl a reboot fry my new Geforce?! :(

-=DVS=-
07-27-04, 10:35 PM
Maybe you are not seating your cards in correctly not fully in AGP slot, also try different power plug just to be sure.

By the way do you still have old Power Supply ? might try getting old one in .

Severian126
07-27-04, 10:53 PM
Haven't tried instlaling old PSU yet. If new PSU is broken, how can it even power up at all? It appears to be working. I dunno, perhaps it's the motherboard? My card runs hot when I play it, so lately I've been playing with my case off with a small fan lightly blowing air into the case just to bring down the temp. I never touched the inside of the PC and it was relatively safe...could this have an effect?

So, most likely my motherboard is gone?... :( I hope Gateway will cover this. This sucks.

-=DVS=-
07-27-04, 10:57 PM
Well its possible your new PSU is not stable ,enough to power motherboard to get few beeps but not enough with vid card installed :p , its not hard if i have a problem testing always fun , maybe its just me :retard:

Githss
07-28-04, 12:16 AM
Try resetting your bios. Take out the watch battery and plug it back in. Since both cards did the same thing it would be a huge coincidence that they were both fried. Motherboard might be dead, but then it probably wouldn't post.

You could also try taking everything out except your vid and harddrive and see what happens.

Severian126
07-28-04, 12:18 AM
.................................................. .................................................. ............................Popped old PSU back in and..........it worked. I feel like such a dumbass. Then again, I am a novice and this is a learning experience. I checked the power connector to the motherboard and it was baked. Man.... Anyway, thanks DVS and everyone else! You've been a great help, heh. Live and learn, and I learned a lot today. It seems my old PSU, though it has only one power dongler and I had to ues a Y-splitter cable to power the Geforce, appears to run fine.

So, what I should learn from this is: not every PSU is compatible with my PC? If my Geforce 6800 Ultra runs fine on my old PSU, then I don't need a new one eh? Bad thing is, I had to get rid of my Vantek fan because I have no extra power connector to run it :(

BTW, I can't check how much W my Power Supply puts out. It doesn't say. It says Max in 140, Max out 240. Um, am I supposed to add them up? :)

Son Goku
07-28-04, 12:27 AM
- Delete: You resolved the issue -

Severian126
07-28-04, 12:33 AM
- Delete: You resolved the issue -

Thanks anyway, it's the thought that counts! Kameamea!

-=DVS=-
07-28-04, 01:34 AM
Woohoo i actualy finaly helped someone :jumping: :beer2:

BTW if you getting constants crashes unstability , PSU might be to low , usualy companys like DELL prolly Gateway underate they PSU if it says 250W it actualy might be more , just for reference try buying name brands like Enermax , Antec .
newegg.com got some nice PSUs ;)

Severian126
07-28-04, 06:44 PM
Heh, thanks DVX. I think I'm going to stick it out with my old PSU for now. Can't afford anything else for the net few weeks. College tuition is due :( And I'm not fortunate enough to have parents who are rich enough to pay for my schooling *sigh* As soon as I have money, Antec it is. Er, is there a certain type of Antec I need to get it? I'm really wary of having another one screw up on me.

-=DVS=-
07-28-04, 10:25 PM
Any Antec over 400W should be new and decent realy.