PDA

View Full Version : Artifact Damage?

cam9786
07-27-04, 10:41 PM
Question. If I OC my card, then see artifacts , then set it back to stock speeds, will those artifacts cause any long term damage to th card if I immediately set the clocks back to stock as soon as I see the artifacts?

Raptorman
07-27-04, 10:45 PM
Question. If I OC my card, then see artifacts , then set it back to stock speeds, will those artifacts cause any long term damage to th card if I immediately set the clocks back to stock as soon as I see the artifacts?

No. That just means the card is clocked slightly too high. Move it down in about 5 MHz increments until the artifacts go away, and you're fine.

Daemoniorum
07-28-04, 04:53 AM
I've been having some artifact problems myself i got my card clocked at 425/1200 and when i play far cry there are artifacts everywhere, i tryed the nvidia demos and left them runnig for about 30 minutes nad they where perfect, i tryed downclockink the card to 400/1100 to play far cry everything was great for abou 10 minutes or so and then the artifacts came back just like that, i got forceware 61.76, the 425/1200 are stock clock form the xfx ultra and my bois version is 5.40.02.10.04.

jimmor
07-28-04, 05:47 AM

Artifacts are just data rendering corruption, so there can be no damage or long term effects by seeing any during a overclocking trial !

jimmor
07-28-04, 06:03 AM
I've been having some artifact problems myself i got my card clocked at 425/1200 and when i play far cry there are artifacts everywhere, i tryed the nvidia demos and left them runnig for about 30 minutes nad they where perfect, i tryed downclockink the card to 400/1100 to play far cry everything was great for abou 10 minutes or so and then the artifacts came back just like that, i got forceware 61.76, the 425/1200 are stock clock form the xfx ultra and my bois version is 5.40.02.10.04.

There are no easy answers for problems with far cry !

The issue you describe indicates overstressing/overtemping of your card, since it improves by reducing speeds. However far cry has been criticised in many forums for having defects, and thus requiring patches ?

Maybe if you reduce display resolution or AA/AF filtering it may help ?