PDA

View Full Version : Problem with new 5700 Ultra

sparky555
07-27-04, 11:12 PM
I got a Gainward 5700 Ultra Dual DVI golden sample, but am having some trouble with it. It's working fine in 2D, but it's all messed up in 3D. Additionally, I tried it on another computer and it worked fine, so I think the card is physically fine. My old video card worked, so the system is/was capable of running 3D stuff just fine within the last few days.

I'm running the newest nVidia reference drivers on a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro (installed the card, had this problem and then reinstalled XP). My system:

Abit KG7-Raid
1.4 GHz AMD Athlon Thunderbird
768 MB Crucial PC-2100 Registered ECC
Sound Blaster Live! Value 5.1
3Com SOHO 10/100 NIC
ATi TV Wonder VE
350 Watt Antec Power Supply
2x Seagate 40GB HDD in Raid 0
Maxtor 40GB HDD
Nu Technologies 8x DVD+/-RW
LiteOn 24x10x40x CD-RW
USB 2.0 Card
Floppy Drive
Ximeta 160GB External HDD
Dual Samsung 191t+ DVI LCD displays

Attached is a screenshot from 3D Mark 2003.

Any ideas?

MUYA
07-27-04, 11:50 PM
Looks like too much overclocking? As those are articfacts. Have u investigated the 3D core and memory speeds in the control panel..maybe they are set way too high.

sparky555
07-28-04, 12:00 AM
Looks like too much overclocking? As those are articfacts. Have u investigated the 3D core and memory speeds in the control panel..maybe they are set way too high.

No, stock speed (not even the golden sample's 500/1000, but 425/950 or whatever nvidia reference is.

Edit: 475/950, but I even dropped the core down to 300 MHz with the same result.

MUYA
07-28-04, 12:06 AM
hmm ..have u made sure you have connected the power plug corectly into the connector on the card etc? ALways check that first. Apart from that, if you are running defaultc locks, you should not have artifacting. Also try to download Via's 4-1 Hyperions...latest set.

sparky555
07-28-04, 01:25 PM
hmm ..have u made sure you have connected the power plug corectly into the connector on the card etc? ALways check that first. Apart from that, if you are running defaultc locks, you should not have artifacting. Also try to download Via's 4-1 Hyperions...latest set.

Thanks for the response -- I fell asleep and didn't get a chance to respond.

The power plug is connected correctly (I've uninstalled and reinstalled the card twice now, and the molex connector I'm using has been running a HDD up to this point, so it must be good.)

I put the latest 4-1s on, and also downloaded the latest version of the AGP Driver from AMD (this motherboard has an AMD-761 northbridge). Still have the same problem. :fu:

MUYA
07-28-04, 08:00 PM
The card sounds borked dude. U might as well RMA it. U shouldn't get artifacts like that out of the box. Perhaps those artifacts are due to the memory being clocked too high or borked.

sparky555
07-28-04, 10:22 PM
The card sounds borked dude. U might as well RMA it. U shouldn't get artifacts like that out of the box. Perhaps those artifacts are due to the memory being clocked too high or borked.

I would have thought that, except that it works fine in another computer...

I put it in the other computer just to verify that the card was bad so I didn't have to talk to them much on the phone to RMA it, but now that it worked in another system, it makes me sort of wonder.

Also, I turned off Hardware T&L and the problem got *way* worse. I didn't really expect that. I assume that doesn't ring any bells with anyone?

ragejg
07-28-04, 10:34 PM
rang bells with me... teh "bad card" bells... :p

Good luck on your RMA... :)

msxyz
07-29-04, 01:32 AM
I believe it's probably a problem with the drivers/chipset... I've seen something similar with some Apollo Pro boards and nVidia AGP8x cards. Late revisions of the same chipset/boards don't suffer this problem so I think it's the AGP implementation in early chipsets.

As others said, try disabling Fast Write and, if this doesn't work, try reverting to default Windows drivers. It usually worked for me

sparky555
07-30-04, 12:29 AM
I believe it's probably a problem with the drivers/chipset... I've seen something similar with some Apollo Pro boards and nVidia AGP8x cards. Late revisions of the same chipset/boards don't suffer this problem so I think it's the AGP implementation in early chipsets.

As others said, try disabling Fast Write and, if this doesn't work, try reverting to default Windows drivers. It usually worked for me

Fast write is disabled. What do you mean by default Windows drivers? Like, just the standard VGA?

Knowing that the card is a Golden Sample, and worked in another machine, I'm not trusting my motherboard right now, so I tend to agree with your assessment. It makes me sad though, because I'm just a poor college student and don't really want to buy any other computer parts for a while.

I'm looking for another machine to test this card in, but all of the other ones around here are running ATi and I sort of hate to put an nVidia card in them, just because I don't trust the ATi drivers to work again.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses everyone!

Bloody
07-30-04, 01:37 AM
sparky555 was the other PC with and nforce 2/3 motherboard?
Have you tried lowering the GPU/RAM frequencies below the standart, there might be a problem with the cooling of the card in your PC...
Is your sytem clocked?

msxyz
07-30-04, 04:34 AM
Fast write is disabled. What do you mean by default Windows drivers? Like, just the standard VGA?!No, I mean the default chipset drivers that come with Windows. WinXp should recognize and already install a proper driver for older chipset.

In the back of my shop there's an old rig that we keep for testing purposes equipped with the Via Apollo Pro 133A. It works fine with Nvidia AGp 4x cards, as well as ATis. But there's no way to make it work properly with NVidia AGP 8x cards. It shows screen corruption that can be partially resolved by disabling Fast write. The complete solution, however, is to leave the default Windows drivers (they're nothing more than tweaked Via 4-1 with conservative settings). I've also seen some KT133 boards with the same behaviour with AGP8x cards. This is why I'm inclined to believe your case is also a bug in the chipset that does not surface with older 2x and 4x graphic cards.

sparky555
07-31-04, 01:01 AM
sparky555 was the other PC with and nforce 2/3 motherboard?
Have you tried lowering the GPU/RAM frequencies below the standart, there might be a problem with the cooling of the card in your PC...
Is your sytem clocked?

The other motherboard was an Abit KT7-A, which means it had the VIA northbridge instead of the AMD northbridge (if I recall correctly).

I put the GPU/RAM frequencies as low as they'd go, with no change. No boards that I have are nforce (this is my first nVidia hardware since the original GeForce256). The card should be cool -- it's in a computer in my basement (so ambient temp is 66 degrees), and since I've been messing with it so much, there is no side on the case right now.

My system is not overclocked in any way (it's mostly a work machine -- poor computer spends its life sitting at a terminal or texpad window, but every once in a while us engineering students get a break and can play some games).

I'll probably quit bumping this thread, since I have a feeling there isn't going to be a good fix. From what I've seen, and what others have said, I have a feeling this is going to be a motherboard issue. I'll probably put the card in my Dad's computer this weekend, and confirm that it works in that system too. His is a new P4 system, so it shouldn't have any other bottlenecks and should really be able to push the card hard. If it works, I guess I'll have to think about a larger system upgrade. :(

Thanks to everyone who replied!

sparky555
07-31-04, 01:04 AM
No, I mean the default chipset drivers that come with Windows. WinXp should recognize and already install a proper driver for older chipset.

In the back of my shop there's an old rig that we keep for testing purposes equipped with the Via Apollo Pro 133A. It works fine with Nvidia AGp 4x cards, as well as ATis. But there's no way to make it work properly with NVidia AGP 8x cards. It shows screen corruption that can be partially resolved by disabling Fast write. The complete solution, however, is to leave the default Windows drivers (they're nothing more than tweaked Via 4-1 with conservative settings). I've also seen some KT133 boards with the same behaviour with AGP8x cards. This is why I'm inclined to believe your case is also a bug in the chipset that does not surface with older 2x and 4x graphic cards.

I tried it after I reinstalled XP and before putting on the 4-1 and AMD chipset drivers, with the same result. The board only supports AGP 4x, so it's not running 8x, but yeah, I agree with your assessment. Thanks for your response.

Micro
09-10-04, 03:01 AM
Hi everyone :)

Look guys, i had exactly the same problem
In my case it was even worse, couse the image corruption was only the firth thing that happent, few seconds after system was just hanged up - black screan of death and so on......

I tried almost EVERYTHING, then send my card to manufacturer... i got another new, shiny FX500(le) 128/128
What then? SAME THING! gee...
After a couple of kicks in the computer, i have set AGP speed down from 4x (max on my bug-full k7vta3) to 2x........ oh gee... it works! :D Yeah, i am thinking about my BIOS upgrade, if this will not work, i'll trash this motherboard...

After a week of truble my hungry eyes can now enjoy of the beauty of the Dawn demo (rulz :D) and.... yes, Doom3 :)

However, it isn't right. I still can't use AGP 4x, only 2x. Does someone know how to force this to work?

/offtopic:
Greetings to everyone, i am (newb) here (omg, my first post here =] )
btw, sorry for my English

Hellion
09-10-04, 03:08 AM
first, wrong thread, this is the 6800 thread, not others. second. my card did the SAME visual distortion yours is doing, try removing, CLEANING and re assembling the card to the mobo, might be off center or just pissy its not COMPLETELY perfect. GUH i hate computers sometimes. always something right?