PDA

View Full Version : DVI to CTR Adapters?

BSD
07-28-04, 01:18 AM
The 6800 only has DVI ports, but I will be using a crt. I've seen the adapters, but does converting from DVI to CRT have any affect on performance or quality? Thanks for any replies.

JGene
07-28-04, 01:56 AM
My BFG 6800 GT shipped with a DVI-I>VGA adapter so it's likely that your next video card will come with one. Heck my ATi Radeon 8500 shipped with one ;)

Anyways, I haven't seen anyone who has negatively commented on using a DVI-I->VGA converter so you should be OK.

BSD
07-29-04, 12:14 AM
My BFG 6800 GT shipped with a DVI-I>VGA adapter so it's likely that your next video card will come with one. Heck my ATi Radeon 8500 shipped with one ;)

What's the best place on the web to buy one? Don't think it matters which baord manufactorer it is. I think im going to get a PNY (6800 Ultra that is), don't know who has them though. It doesn't have to have a good heatsink and fan (and I dont want to spend extra for that like this BFG) because it will be water cooled.

Anyways, I haven't seen anyone who has negatively commented on using a DVI-I->VGA converter so you should be OK.

Never seen anyone talk about DVI->VGA conversion adapters, so I don't really know the effects, so it would be nice to get a card that has VGA.

JGene
07-29-04, 01:08 AM
PNY probably included one with the card, but to be on the safe side maybe you could make a run down to the local Best Buy/Future Shop/Radio Shack and pick up a DVI to VGA converter. I'd say it's probably $10 at the absolute worst.

Animal
07-29-04, 01:26 AM
Aren't there cables made that have a DVI plug on one end and a vga connector on the other? Assuming you have a monitor that allows you to completely replace the monitor cable with a better one (since some monitor cables out of the box are crap) wouldnt a single cable with dvi on one end and vga on the other be far superior to any dvi->vga adapter?

kev13dd
07-29-04, 02:56 AM
There shouldn't be any performance loss from the converter, so a cable like that wouldn't make a difference. You should be fine. If the converter effected performance, we'd have heard about it by now and had a lot of complaints

Just wait till the card arrives. I'm 100% sure you'll get one in the box, if now, I'll personally yell at PNY and get them to send you one

I never thought much about it till a week ago. I was digging through all my old computer boxes, and realized the little connector thingy in the video card box was a DVI to VGA converter. If you don't get one, I'll send this one to you all expenses paid. Trust me. They'll give you some. They know most people buying the Ultra don't have DVI. They know this. There will DEFINATLY be a converter in the box

K

BTW- I looked at some pictures of what comes in the PNY boxes. DVI to VGA are in them. Nice and purple the one I saw, instead of boring white

Bottle
07-29-04, 05:28 AM
OK, if no-one thinks there is a disadvantage with using the adapter, is there any advantage? Could it possibly improve IQ?

Bottle

kev13dd
07-29-04, 05:41 AM
No advantage either. If there was everyone would be using one, or Nvidia would just change the VGA to convet from DVI onboard. No advantage, no disadvantage, just a simple way to get DVI to VGA for you to use

K

eesa
07-29-04, 09:29 AM
you'll lose some quality since you're going from digital to analog, but that's expected. Chances are your card will come included with an adapter. Worst case you'll have to go out and buy on for ten bucks.

and no, no effect on performance. lol.

Bottle
07-29-04, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the advice all. If there is no advantage and possibly a disadvantage, I'll leave well enough alone.

Bottle

Vapor Trail
07-29-04, 10:00 AM
Most new cards come with an adaptor. I have 4 all from previous cards. :)

You will have no quality loss at all. It just connects the wires, there is no conversion of any kind going on. Jsut point to point connections.