PDA

View Full Version : Finally recieved a response from nVIDIA about the EDID problem

JGene
07-28-04, 02:33 AM
Dear [my name],

1. Cannot output 1368 due to display driver and wrong Sharp EDID.

2. Monitor scaling bug due to driver and Sharp EDID modes.

Future drivers will enable support for non divisible by 8 displays using NVIDIA GPUs. Cannot comment on the release date of new drivers that will fix this issue.

Linux driver policy is different than windows and probably will not change. However, in addition to working around the problem in future drivers as stated many times over. NVIDIA has informed VESA group and the CE industry of this problem with TV displays with designated *DVI-HDTV* input. Hopefully they will follow the established international standard of VESA DDC for the Plug & Play function if they are concerned with ease of PC usage with proper aspect ratio. Most importantly include SVGA/WXGA, HDTV modes, and "native panel mode" within the EDID. That way things will "just work" like any other Digital Flat Panel out there designed for computer use. Until the driver work around you will have to use the TV as Sharp primarily intended with the use of 720P / 1080i from HDTV set top box or PC.

I will inform you when developement is done to give you some clue. I have Sony VPL-HS10 HDTV projector and it has the same panel resolution and the same problem as your Sharp when trying to use max panel resolution! So we definatly see the problem. Thanks for your patience.

1. Bummer, nVIDIA doesn't look like they'll ever offer a fix for bad EDIDs like they way that they do for Linux.

2. There should be some patch at some nebulous point in the future, but I'd feel better if I had a hard date or at least a time frame. Kinda looks like it's bug #35,165,432,035,131 on the list to fix. :(

Guess my options to get 1368x768 via DVI are:

Wait for an EDID update from Sharp and or:

1. Ditch Windows and go to Linux (use the IgnoreEDID switch in the drivers)
2. Continue to use Windows and wait for a fix, use the card at 1280x720 in the meantime
3. Continue to use Windows and wait for a fix, and use my ATi Radeon 8500 as I have done before
4. Continue to use Windows but return/sell the card and buy ATi

Hmmm, wish I had better options but I'll have to think about this for a bit. :thinker: Doom III is comming up soon and I'd prefer to have some card that runs at 1368x768. Somehow I doubt my ATi Radeon 8500 can do that...

Edit: Here's the thread (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31547&page=1&pp=15) that I had originally started when I first encountered this problem.

kev13dd
07-28-04, 02:55 AM
1) Have a nice resolution, but not be able to play any games at it REJECTED
2) Have somewhat fuzzy gaming, that you will probably not notice while running around shooting demons ACCEPTABLE
3) Bad performance on everything, but not fuzzy? REJECTED
4) ATI?!?! SCRATCHED OFF THE LIST, RIPPED UP, THROWN AWAY WHILE ON FIRE.... THEN KICK IT

Keep the GT. There WILL be a fix sooner or later, and you WILL get best performance out of a GT than any current ATI card at that value, or ABOVE in DOOM 3 at least. There will be a fix, hold sanity in check, and wait it out

K

betterdan
07-28-04, 03:01 AM
Well at least they did respond to you and understand the problem. That right there should mean something even if it may take a while to get the fix.

JGene
07-28-04, 03:03 AM
If I could rouse Sharp off of their laurels to fix this problem I'd be in business and I would not require any intervention on nVIDIA's part. However I do not know how motivated they are to do it as it would require a firmware upgrade to change the EDID. Nonetheless I've already contacted their customer service and voiced my opinion several times ;)

The GT is an impressive card and I do not want to give it up but I have to admit that this has me totally bummed. I feel like back I'm right back in 1999 when I won a Guillemot TNT-2 Ultra that was shipped fresh from nVIDIA themselves (even have a signed letter from one of their developers at the time). Unfortunately the card was DOA and I couldn't use it. :(

JGene
07-28-04, 03:08 AM
Well at least they did respond to you and understand the problem. That right there should mean something even if it may take a while to get the fix.

Yes, they did understand the problem. Actually I just posted nVIDIA's most recent response to my thread. It actually took about three responses before I could get them to commit to saying that they would not change their policy on EDID-usage and I would never get 1368x768 working as long as I have the same EDID as I do now.

Eh, guess I'm in limbo land as I wait for a fix...

Edit:

Just tried 1280x720 and it is still being rescaled to 1280x768 via the drivers. 1280x720 should look slightly fuzzy since it's the same A/R as 1368x768, however since it's going from 1280x720 (original 16:9) ->1280x768 (scaled by drivers 15:9)->1366x768 (final output by my TV 16:9) that is VERY fuzzy :(