PDA

View Full Version : nVidia desktop shortcut?

Borealis
07-28-04, 03:26 AM
Does anyone know a way to get the nvidia settings from the lower right corner of the screen to be a desktop shortcut along with having it in the bottom corner of the screen?

Kev1
07-28-04, 11:58 AM
Can't you just right click and create shortcut? I dunno as I haven't tried but thats usually how its done :)

Clay
07-28-04, 12:21 PM
No, you can't right-click on a systray icon and drag to desktop to create a shortcut. The systray is a bit of a different animal. There's likely a more graceful way of achieving this but my best guess right now would involve some Registry tweaking. For one thing, most systray icons do not point to an exe, rather, they kick off a context menu which isn't the same kind of functionality you get from a desktop shortcut.

Kev1
07-28-04, 12:47 PM
Thats interesting. You'd think it would be easier than that but no :)

Wonder if anybody has tried this as I havent read any posts other than this one about putting a Nvidia shortcut on the desktop. Most are content with it in sys tray. I always disable mine and just right click desktop to get to settings. I can see how a desktop shortcut would be a little quicker tho.

saturnotaku
07-28-04, 12:55 PM
There's no real need for a desktop shortcut because if you right click on your desktop, there is an option labeled either "NVIDIA analog display" or "NVIDIA digital display" and if you select that, it goes straight to the Forceware driver control panel. It basically bypasses the need to go into advanced display properties via the desktop or control panel.

Clay
07-28-04, 01:16 PM
Yeah but the only thing the systray has over that right click feature of the desktop (which I LOVE that NVIDIA included now BTW) is that it is more concise/quicker for setting color depth, resolutions, etc...I do wish that the systray context menu would dock or stick...it's kind of annoying to use it to change AA/AF and for each you have to redo your dance through the context menu. :)

Borealis
07-28-04, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I was messing with it and the only thing I could do was create a display shortcut from my control panel, I don't know why but it just dissappears from the systray. I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and sure as sh*t it was there again.

I checked where I thought it was executing from but the only thing there was a dll.

Strangely it's there today again, but yet wasn't last night???

STAY IN THE TRAY D@mNIT!!!!

saturnotaku
07-28-04, 04:30 PM
Yeah, I was messing with it and the only thing I could do was create a display shortcut from my control panel, I don't know why but it just dissappears from the systray. I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and sure as sh*t it was there again.

I checked where I thought it was executing from but the only thing there was a dll.

Strangely it's there today again, but yet wasn't last night???

STAY IN THE TRAY D@mNIT!!!!

Are you running Windows XP? If so, perhaps the OS is simply hiding the icon for you. You can tell the OS to always display that icon by right clicking on your taskbar, selecting properties, then "hide inactive icons."

Borealis
07-28-04, 04:51 PM
I'm on XP, it's not hiding it from me. I gave that a whirl last night.

Strangely it's still there now, hasn't gone anywhere.....maybe my computer just doesn't like me? lol

Clay
07-28-04, 04:58 PM
I'm on XP, it's not hiding it from me. I gave that a whirl last night.

Strangely it's still there now, hasn't gone anywhere.....maybe my computer just doesn't like me? lol
The trick is, you must keep staring at it...if you glance away then *poof* it'll vanish a la that Spongebob episode where he is planting flowers and discovers the seahorse (http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-3428/epid-130924/). Sorry for the tangent. :D