PDA

View Full Version : Any advantage in DVI to VGA converter?

Bottle
07-28-04, 07:36 AM
I've just received my BFG 6800GT and it comes with a DVI-VGA converter.

I have a normal CRT. Will there be any advantage (IQ, functionality, etc.) to using the card's DVI outlet as opposed to the standard VGA outlet?

Thanks in advance,

Bottle

superklye
07-28-04, 11:08 AM
I don't think there is. They include that for people (like me) that use dual monitor setups but don't have a DVI capable monitor. In fact, I think you would be better off not using the adapter unless you do go to dual monitor...use the standard VGA until you need to use the DVI>VGA.

ricercar
07-28-04, 01:54 PM
Actually, there can be a great difference between VGA quality on DVI vs VGA ports. You should try both to see if you detect any differences.

My NV28GL (Quadro 980XGL) is fuxxy on the normal VGA port and in-focus on the DVI port with VGA adapter. I've tried five VGA displays, and they all looks better on the DVI port. This difference is from variances in quality on the analog filters; a forum search should bring up that thread.

XanderF
07-28-04, 04:08 PM
You'll see more difference from using a high quality VGA cable than from using the DVI-VGA adapter. IE., one of those VERY THICK cables (lots of insulation, on each wire running through it) with ferrite chokes on *both* ends. Really an amazing difference in quality.

superklye
07-28-04, 04:11 PM
This all surprises me...I could've sworn I read somewhere that using the DVI>VGA adapter just killed any sort of enhancements gained from DVI. Meh, my bad.

Sazar
07-28-04, 04:38 PM
This all surprises me...I could've sworn I read somewhere that using the DVI>VGA adapter just killed any sort of enhancements gained from DVI. Meh, my bad.

its basically digital v/s analog... you are converting back..

honestly speaking I prefered running my primary display from the dvi-vga dongle as opposed to the vga dongle when I had my 9700pro (non-AIW)..

the image seemed clearer and 2d was crisper..

Clay
07-28-04, 04:48 PM
You'll see more difference from using a high quality VGA cable than from using the DVI-VGA adapter. IE., one of those VERY THICK cables (lots of insulation, on each wire running through it) with ferrite chokes on *both* ends. Really an amazing difference in quality.
Good point on this too. Especially if you ever use a VGA extension cable you do NOT want to use some cheap thin cable. You want the higher Hz rated "thicker" quality cables. Otherwise you can/will experience ghosting effects from the cheap-o extension cables with today's video cards. A little OT I know but thought it was worth mentioning.

PaiN
07-28-04, 05:03 PM
gotta luv this forum.... :rolleyes: , I was thinking about this exact same subject and thought no way,...there can't be any significant difference.... After reading this thread, I think, when I get home tonight, I'll pop on the DVI to VGA adapter and see how things look :)