PDA

View Full Version : Webcam

CaptNKILL
07-28-04, 08:37 AM
OK, I have a webcam, a Creative Webcam NX (the white and blue one).

I got it so my girlfriend could see me when we chat on YIM when we arent together. The quality is decent, and it always works fine (tho it gets garbled when there are extreme constrasts, like pure white and pure black).

I want to get a cam for my girlfriend though so i can see her. Id like something better than this, because it needs to have good low-light image quality. This one isnt horrible in low light conditions but theres deffinitely room for improvement.

Im not spending a lot of money here. The cam i bought only cost me $1 after using a $25 amazon gift card.

What is a good cam for the money? We use Yahoo messenger, she is on Dial Up , im on cable. It might need Linux\Unix support as well, because her brothers computer is Silicon Graphics O2 and she might end up installing it on there. I want good image quality and above all, reliability. If it doesnt work, its of no use to me :p

Im also very interested in sites that do good reviews of webcams. I dont know why its so hard to find good information on webcams.

Thanks for the help.

CaptNKILL
07-29-04, 02:11 AM
Bump

Smokey
07-29-04, 05:58 AM
I have an IBM Net camera which seems to do the job, looking at the drivers though, they only seem to support windows. This camera seems to be pretty good in low light, here is a pic of me with no lights on, just the lights from the monitor and pc case.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=7212&stc=1

CaptNKILL
08-03-04, 08:33 AM
Hey thanks for the post, ill look into that one :D

Anyone else know of any others? What I could really use though is a webcam review site. I found ONE but it only covers high end cams... bleh :retard:

CaptNKILL
08-27-04, 03:12 PM
bump :|

CaptNKILL
08-27-04, 06:01 PM
Anyone know about the IBM PC Camera? It looks almost the same as the IBM Net Camera Smokey mentioned but they are a LOT cheaper. I saw one review that looked good (as long as you can find drivers.. which i can)... anyone know about these?

jAkUp
08-27-04, 06:42 PM
I would recommend logitech... i have a logitech, my gf has a creative... and the creative sucks, terrible quality, and it only works at like 3 fps.. dont know why. My logitech works great, and it was cheap, 15 bucks.

Tuork
08-27-04, 07:01 PM
I have a Creative Webcam NX pro

Nice... much better than using my digital camara in PC CAM mode.
That sucked.

CaptNKILL
08-28-04, 01:43 AM
I would recommend logitech... i have a logitech, my gf has a creative... and the creative sucks, terrible quality, and it only works at like 3 fps.. dont know why. My logitech works great, and it was cheap, 15 bucks.
A lot of that has to do with the internet connection you are running on. My creative runs about 1fps or less most of the time but its because shes is on a 56K. She got on another computer that was set up for DSL and I enabled "super mode" in yahoo messenger and it was about 20fps. It was amazing to see the cam that smooth.

Ive heard bad things about the image quality of Logitech cams compaired to Creative, which cam do you have?