PDA

View Full Version : suggestions to overclock my memory more

Kamel
07-28-04, 10:26 AM
hello everyone... i've got a small problem. i've got a killer heatsink on this card, which is good, but it kindof obstructs airflow to my memory. the memory has ramsinks on them, and there are 2 80mm fans blowing on the video card from the side. the ram next to the fans seems great temps, but the ones back towards the agp slot seem to be the ones heating up. i am guessing that if i were to cool these i would get much better overclocks (i'm assuming my overclock really has to do with my worst overclocking ram chip).

if i don't touch my memory, i can very easily hit 620 on the core, 950 memory. if i overclock the memory too though, the best i've hit is 598/1021 -- and this was with some (very minor) memory artifacts. i say memory because i test with a 2d game that puts a lot of demand on the memory, and that's where i got the artifacts, heh.

anyway, does anyone have any suggestions how i could increase cooling to these areas? i don't want to go out buying things like water cooling or whatever, but if i can find a way to cool the rest with the extra 60mm fan and maybe some mcguyver skillz i would be greatful :D

kaskadiorat
07-28-04, 02:06 PM
There are PCI slot fans, like this:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=120565&CatId=804

If you don't want to buy anything, you could make something that would hold a fan below the card. Furthermore, you could make a shroud out of cardboard leading the air to the card. I made one for my computer and it worked fine. It was very ghetto :D
If you are really going for looks though, get one of those PCI slot fans