PDA

View Full Version : Cooling a PNY 6800gt..

Slybri
07-28-04, 03:18 PM
I got a PNY Verto 6800gt form compusa, and I like it, but it runs a little hot when I overclock it to Ultra speed (400/1100).
I'm getting artifacts in farcry and halo when the temp hits around 86. I thought these cards could handle temps up to 100c no problem. I guess not.
The whole reason I bought this thing was because I read they could oc to ultra speed. I guess I need better cooling...

I'm thinking of getting a VGA Silencer Artic Cooler...do these fit on the 6800gt?
Would a PCI slot fan right next to the card help?

garikfox
07-28-04, 03:37 PM
86c isnt bad at all, could be the mem setting. 2.0ns ram on the GT's are only rated for 1Ghz.

ENU291
07-28-04, 03:56 PM
What kind of corruption do you see? Is it little white dots or smearing/blinking of textures? I've noticed that a highly OCed core usually (but not always) causes the white dots... and high mem OC cause the texture problems... Try to OC either the core or the memory alone and see which one is causing the problem... reduce the OC for that component and you should be fine.

ynnek
07-28-04, 04:11 PM
how are you checking the temperature while you play these games? Are you just quickly quitting the game and checking temps? The temps drop rapdily once the 3d load is taken off. I've seen it jump down 10C in a few seconds.... your card may be hotter than you think.

Slybri
07-28-04, 04:42 PM
Well, I think it's both.
I'm getting lil white and black dots on the gun in farcry, at about 90c or so.
In halo, I get mad crazy texture smearing at 86c.
HDR demo ran fine full screen, 10x7, for 10 minutes..never went past 88c
This is all oc'd at 400/1100...

I think you're right, it's the mem oc, not so much the core thats causing the artifacts. Maybe I'm expecting too much out of this card...
Still, I'd like to get better cooler for the card, don;t know if the artic cooler vga silencer will fit it..
I'd really like to cool it better for future overclocking when HL2 and stalker come out...plus farcry needs more speed! I hope the final sm3 patch helps.

and yes, I have dual monitors and keep the temp gauge open while I play...which is nice, eh?

Maybe better cooling on the memory?

garikfox
07-28-04, 05:35 PM
try 400/1GHz then you prolly wont see them anymore.

Slybri
07-29-04, 04:11 AM
Yeah, right on. It was the memory.
Got it clocked 400/1.08 and farcry w/sm3.0 plays like a dream. completely stable.
ah well, .02g faster mem speed aint worth 100$!

Thanks for the help fellas!
:clap:

garikfox
07-29-04, 04:12 AM
Yeah, right on. It was the memory.
Got it clocked 400/1.08 and farcry w/sm3.0 plays like a dream. completely stable.
ah well, .02g faster mem speed aint worth 100$!

Thanks for the help fellas!
:clap:

Well cool !!! ,But yer still crazy to OC the ram on a GT. :)