PDA

View Full Version : Building a videocards BIOS archive

Bloody
07-28-04, 05:29 PM
We are trying to make a VGA BIOS archive as wide as possible, so it may cover most of the VGA products (because a lot of vendors don't provide downloadable BIOSes for their products), so that when you need a specific BIOS file you'll know where to find it.

Curently there are over 260 downloadable BIOS files for ATI and nVidia based cards here: http://www.hwspirit.com/downloads.php

If you have videocard with BIOS that is not aviable in our Download section and want to help us, please make a dump ot your BIOS and send it to us, along with the following information:
- vendor name (Albatron, MSI, Chaintech...)
- product name (Geforce FX5700, Radeon 9600XT...)
- standart GPU and RAM frequency (300 / 600 DDR MHz), memory chip manufacturer and spped (Samsung 2.8ns, Hynix 2ns...), BIOS version
- any other comments and/or information you think may be usefull (modified bios, max clock...)

Please send your BIOS files along with the above information to: bloody@zonebg.com

Bloody
07-30-04, 04:03 AM
Instructions...
Howto make a BIOS backup of your nVidia based viedeocard:
1. Download NVFlash 5.08: http://hardwarespirit.com/files/tools/nvflash-5.08.zip
2. Extract to a DOS system diskette and boot form it
3. Run: nvflash -b backup.rom

Howto make a BIOS backup of your ATI based viedeocard:
1. Download Flashrom 2.37: http://hardwarespirit.com/files/tools/flashrom-2.37.zip
2. Extract to a DOS system diskette and boot form it
3. Run: flashrom -s 0 backup.rom

Mavke
07-30-04, 04:48 AM
We are trying to make a VGA BIOS archive as wide as possible, so it may cover most of the VGA products (because a lot of vendors don't provide downloadable BIOSes for their products), so that when you need a specific BIOS file you'll know where to find it.

Curently there are over 260 downloadable BIOS files for ATI and nVidia based cards here: http://www.hwspirit.com/downloads.php

If you have videocard with BIOS that is not aviable in our Download section and want to help us, please make a dump ot your BIOS and send it to us, along with the following information:
- vendor name (Albatron, MSI, Chaintech...)
- product name (Geforce FX5700, Radeon 9600XT...)
- standart GPU and RAM frequency (300 / 600 DDR MHz), memory chip manufacturer and spped (Samsung 2.8ns, Hynix 2ns...), BIOS version
- any other comments and/or information you think may be usefull (modified bios, max clock...)

Please send your BIOS files along with the above information to: bloody@zonebg.com

That is all really nice, but well I had that idea 8 months agou and my site is already running now for 6months with over 500 BIOS Files up for download...
But well maybe we can work a bit together as I am modding the BIOS's as well. Let me know, you can email me : mavke@mvktech.net

jimmor
07-30-04, 05:19 AM
Bloody,

I see that a reasonable number of the nvidia bios's are just downloads from either Mavke website and/or Guru3D, because they are my originals ?

And, its one thing to host Nvidia/Ati originals or your own modified versions, however not quite sure of any benefit from having another website duplicating only same bios downloads ????

Or is this just a business opportunity, called free enterprise !!!

Bloody
07-30-04, 05:39 AM
Yes some of the BIOS files are collected from other sites, but you might've missed the whole idea of this archive... it is the same as with any other archive - to provide as complete as posible variety of whatever the content is.

And to be able to make the make the archive bigger I need some support from people that have videocards with BIOSes other than the ones already available.

P.S. If you want me to remove your BIOS files from the archive, just let me know which ones and I'll remove them.

jimmor
07-30-04, 05:51 AM
Yes some of the BIOS files are collected from other sites, but you might've missed the whole idea of this archive... it is the same as with any other archive - to provide as complete as posible variety of whatever the content is.

You are wrong, I especially understand the need for an all encompasing archive of bios's. However how is your archive going to be any different from the Mavkes bios archive which started long before yours did ?

What will be better or more unique with your site that would make me or anybody else for that matter go there as opposed to just using Mavke website ??

Bloody
07-30-04, 06:03 AM
I didn't say my site has something unique ot more than any other site... and I don't want to make you or anyone else go to it because it is unique or different form the others. You'll just go if there is something you need.

And are you saying that because there is one or two sites that already have big BIOS archives, nobody else should even try to make a new one? Do we have to stick with what is already available and not try to make something better and if we make it better it will help more people, and if not... well we'll try again and again ;)

jimmor
07-30-04, 06:47 AM
I didn't say my site has something unique ot more than any other site... and I don't want to make you or anyone else go to it because it is unique or different form the others. You'll just go if there is something you need.

And are you saying that because there is one or two sites that already have big BIOS archives, nobody else should even try to make a new one? Do we have to stick with what is already available and not try to make something better and if we make it better it will help more people, and if not... well we'll try again and again ;)

Nothing wrong with making things better, as it can only do good for those who want whatever it is you are offering. But this usually means different in some way, and thus better for a user. Which is the only reason I asked the question !

And if you seriously want to run a website, never argue so strongly that it wont be unique or different in any way from anybody elses, otherwise you just might find it very lonely having it all to yourself.

Mavke
07-30-04, 08:00 AM
Nothing wrong with making things better, as it can only do good for those who want whatever it is you are offering. But this usually means different in some way, and thus better for a user. Which is the only reason I asked the question !

And if you seriously want to run a website, never argue so strongly that it wont be unique or different in any way from anybody elses, otherwise you just might find it very lonely having it all to yourself.

I have to agree with jimmor. But well if you somehow get a BIOS I might not yet have you can also send it to me as well. I am working on my archive already a long time even before I put the site online (as many people could remind at that time I was collecting and sending the BIOS files out by mail - start date was around 1 year agou). Since my site is up I am trying to get as much downloads up of BIOS, meaning to provide all kinds of revisions and also modded BIOS files (big thx here go to jimmor who was so kind to provide his mods to me for hosting em).

If your site is only going to copy my downloadable BIOS Files then I find it a very low idea of yours of just copying, where I have put a lot of time in checking these BIOS that a lot of users have provided me (by mail or uploaded on my site).

Bloody
07-30-04, 08:15 AM
I didn't say it is or will not be unique or different in any way, but I think that I'm not the one that should say that, I leave the visitors to decide is the site (not only the bios downloads) different, unique or whatever.

Mavke, if you take a closer look you'll find that my archive is not copying yours.... and it doesn't have that purpouse. Yes there are some BIOS files that are downloaded form your site and from a few others, but there are a lot of BIOSes from cards that have passed though my hands and some BIOS files send by my friends and people that like the idea. Altough the BIOS download section is fairly new I've been collecting BIOSes for quite a long time too.

Mavke
07-30-04, 08:23 AM
I didn't say it is or will not be unique or different in any way, but I think that I'm not the one that should say that, I leave the visitors to decide is the site (not only the bios downloads) different, unique or whatever.

Mavke, if you take a closer look you'll find that my archive is not copying yours.... and it doesn't have that purpouse. Yes there are some BIOS files that are downloaded form your site and from a few others, but there are a lot of BIOSes from cards that have passed though my hands and some BIOS files send by my friends and people that like the idea. Altough the BIOS download section is fairly new I've been collecting BIOSes for quite a long time too.

Well I noticed several, but well I am not the one to say that you didn't get some via your own ways, I just noticed several that are the same as on my site... And a copycat I don't like, unless some agreement is made between you and me. But just a copy job without asking... that I find low.
I always ask before I put something I found on another site, to make sure I don't upset anyone and that I have their OK to do so.

Bloody
07-30-04, 08:45 AM
Sorry for that, but I haven't downloaded the BIOSes from other site, a friend of mine did that some time ago and gave me an archive with some BIOS files.
I would be glad to cooperate with you Mavke, to create a better resource ;)

Mavke
07-30-04, 08:50 AM
Well as I mentoined, you can contact me : mavke@mvktech.net.
And let me know what you have in mind and so on and then we can see how we can work this out.

noko
07-30-04, 10:36 AM
Mavke, I noticed you have some revised 6800GT bioses with Author Mavke. Now I don't see any info on what was revised. Maybe I am looking at the wrong place or something. For example:Leadtek 6800 GT 256MB - Rev 01
Author: mvktech
Description: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
Leadtek GeForce 6800 GT BIOS
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Card : Leadtek WinFast GeForce 6800 GT (A400 GT TDH)
Chipset : nVidia GeForce 6800 GT
Version : 5.40.02.15.00
Memory : 256MB

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Filesize: 42.41 kb
Downloads: 2
Download:
Rating: Not rated

Now do you know if there is a 6800GT bios availble or if you modified one that ups the voltage to the gpu from 1.32v to 1.42v?

tss4
07-30-04, 10:52 AM
Mavke, are those bioses your intellectual property? Why do you act threatened cause he wants to make a web site that is similar to yours and has used some of your bioses? Give me a break.

Mavke
07-30-04, 12:27 PM
Mavke, I noticed you have some revised 6800GT bioses with Author Mavke. Now I don't see any info on what was revised. Maybe I am looking at the wrong place or something. For example:

Now do you know if there is a 6800GT bios availble or if you modified one that ups the voltage to the gpu from 1.32v to 1.42v?

The ones on my site are all Original BIOS Files. So coming from the card using nvFlash or WFFlash to dump the BIOS from the Card.

In the Modded Section, some modded BIOS's are made available and more will come, and their all things that were changed will be posted in the comments.

noko
07-30-04, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the reply Mavke,

I successfully modded my BFG 6800GT bios to give 1.42v as measured on the card to the gpu. It was easier then I thought. I only modded the voltage when in 2d/3d, previously it was 1.32v to the gpu which for my card limited it to 390mhz on the core before artifacts in 3dMark03. Now :D I just ran 415mhz as clean as can be :), as in no artifacts. Plus autodetect now gives me 421/1100 vice the lower 385/1.04 something previously. Everything else on the bios is the same, just the voltage increase. So it is a 370/1000 default BFG 6800GT clock speed bios with a .1v increase to the core. This should minimize the conflicts some saw when they flashed their BFG 6800GT with a different card bios file as in a 6800U bios from another company. Will do more testing as time permits. Here is a link to the bios (disguised as a jpg in order for you to download if you want that is, rename as needed):

Right click and Save Target As. . . (http://home.cfl.rr.com/noko/bfggt14.jpg)

PM me if you want me to E-mail the modified bios to you. Bloody same for you too, if you want to download and post have at it.

I used Nvflash version 4.42 booted from dos disk with the following command nvflash -f bfggt14.rom -p -u -2 (note: the name of the bios has to be what bios file you have on disk is) which was very successful.

I also did a backup of my current bios on my dos disk by using the command nvflash -b backup.rom. Just in case. . Now this does indeed raise up the gpu temperture up some so for those who don't have good cooling or alot of airflow in their box probably should not raise their gpu voltage up, could be very detrimental. In my rig which is A/C cooled the temperture never goes above 65c with the default cooler.

I also only recommend this bios be used for BFG 6800GT users only and not other versions of 6800GTs.

Let me do more testing in the mean time to make sure there is no other problems caused by my modification.

jimmor
07-30-04, 02:29 PM
Mavke, are those bioses your intellectual property? Why do you act threatened cause he wants to make a web site that is similar to yours and has used some of your bioses? Give me a break.

I really think this has nothing to do with you, so don't just provide input to stir things up !!!

And if we want to talk intellectual property then I suppose I'm the closest owner so to speak for many of the bios's involved !

However I personally don't care who hosts them as long as they are freely available to all. But so far, the only places I have officially given them to are Mavke for his website and Dr.Infern0 for hosting through his 5900XT bios modding thread at Guru3D.

Also, to make this work to the best advantage of a user, I think it is an excellent idea that Mavke and Bloody are willing to cooperate towards that end.

UDawg
07-30-04, 03:03 PM
Post all future BIOS info here. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33437

Filthy666
07-30-04, 03:36 PM
Thanks noko for that modded GT bios.....has pushed my xfx gt from 410 core max with no artifacts to 435 core with no artifacts and still rising :clap:

noko
07-30-04, 04:45 PM
Your welcome, it pushed my OC 25mhz or more as well :). I may do a 1.5v bios or try to make one, supposenly that is also a option these cards will do. I am afraid that some will try and literally burn up their cards do to inadequate cooling though :(.