PDA

View Full Version : Old skool rpg's

anxdiety
10-27-02, 02:40 AM
what games are not to miss old rpg's from back on the ole snes and such since almost everyone has an emulator that can run em decently on our faster rigs. I still play the odd one that i come across that i haven;t finished. They are just getting harder and harder to find now. The one i am really wanting to find is the translated version of dragon quest 6 since i have finished the rest of the series

thcdru2k
10-27-02, 03:27 AM
earthbound..final fantasy series..terranigma..and especially chrono trigger. secret of mana, secret of evermore, seiken densetsu 3, breath of fire 1 and 2, 7th saga, illusion of gaia, super mario rpg, lufia and the fortress of doom, lufia 2, ogre battle, tales of phantasia..

should last you for a long long while lol.

StealthHawk
10-27-02, 06:18 AM
to my knowledge, Dragon Quest 6 hasn't been fully translated yet :(

a pity, that. i'm still waiting on Final Fantasy 6 myself. seriously, how long does it take to reinsert text :mad:

anxdiety
10-27-02, 07:36 AM
i think ff6 has been done already, and as far as dq 6 its almost fully finished something like 96% or something its just a matter of finding it out there somewhere to patch it.

earthbound - didn't like it too cartoonish
..final fantasy series - done
..terranigma - can't remember think i have finished them as well
..and especially chrono trigger - done way back on the reg snes when i owned one.
seiken densetsu 3,- never heard of it might look into it
breath of fire 1 and 2, just about to start part 3 on espx
7th saga - done and got bored with the sequel
super mario rpg - mario should have stayed bouncing boxes off his head this was just lame,
lufia and the fortress of doom - was fun while it lasted, lufia 2 - got bored real quick with it and never had the urge to go into the 99 lv cave,tales of phantasia - almost through that right now as well........

i wish i could find a copy of Crono Cross kickin around in some of the used stores, seems like everyone had kept em in hiding and no one trades em in anymore

The Baron
10-27-02, 08:25 AM
Crono Cross blows, don't waste your time.

Seiken Densetu 3 or whatever it is is Secret of Mana 2. Impossibly hard (or maybe I just have no idea WTF I'm doing... :p ).

Super Mario RPG is Good Stuff, man. It's still an RPG, just with crazy bouncing boxes instead of chests. A nice diversion..

Starscream
10-27-02, 11:24 AM
I was going to suggest the Dragon Warrior nes games but I see you've already played through the series.

hmm. Soul Blazer for the snes is a good action/rpg.

Gargr
10-27-02, 01:01 PM
Here are the best SNES RPGs IMO:

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy
Terranigma
Secret of Mana
Secret of Evermore(still havnt played it)
Seiken Densetsu 3(translated)
Tales of Phantasia(Translated)
Earthbound
.... some i cant remember right now

Bahamut lagoon is finally translated and i'll start playing it when i finish CT again :D. I tried it for a few minutes and it looks great.

now im waiting for Star Ocean, Treasure Hunter G and Far East of Eden Zero translations. thse games look really good
. cant wait

Phyre
10-27-02, 01:08 PM
Don't forget Dragon Warrior for NES. That game was pretty awesome for its time.

Phyre

styles-T
10-27-02, 04:14 PM
Im shocked - no one metioned Zelda...

The Baron
10-27-02, 04:22 PM
SoE SUCKED! SUCKED I SAY!

Gargr, you and I might need to talk... ;)

PenguinJim
10-27-02, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by !plonk*

?? never heard of it

gnikoj m'I wtb

Gargr
10-27-02, 05:50 PM

im shocked i didnt mention it too :eek:

hehe

SNES Zelda = best ever IMO. 2nd is Zelda 64

StealthHawk
10-27-02, 06:21 PM

Zelda isn't really an RPG, that's why :p

anyway, no, no one has translated ff6. we got Squaresoft's supposedly shoddy job in FF3, and Sky Render retranslated some of the names of items/weapons/enemies etc. Sky Render still hasn't finished translating FF6, unfortunately. and no one else has progressed as far as he has, one other group tried, got around 4% done, and disappeared from the face of the internet.

Gator
10-28-02, 06:43 AM
"Companions of Xanth" is my personal favorite. You can get it for free now here:

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=Companions+of+Xanth

warning: it's a DOS game so you wont likely get working sound in a Win2k/XP environment

ragejg
10-28-02, 06:49 AM
Crystalis?
StarTropics?
Romance of the Three Kingdoms?
SpellCaster for Sega Master System? (that game will ALWAYS rock...

-r-a-g-e-j-g-

DaveW
10-31-02, 11:15 AM
"Eye of the Beholder" on the Amiga :)

combat_wombat
10-31-02, 11:21 AM
eye of the beholder series was better on PC. The Amiga had Black Crypt, now that was fun and designed for the Amiga

Lands of Lore was also good

McBane
10-31-02, 05:10 PM
*cue trumpets*

~~~~~NETHACK~~~~~

:D