PDA

View Full Version : "So I finally got my 6800GT and..." or "How the click of death ruined my morning"

superklye
07-29-04, 08:35 AM
So here's a bit of a funny story:

After an exciting night of playing Far Cry, Halo and WC3 in DX9 goodness thanks to my new eVGA 6800 GT, I wake up this morning and go to my computer and I move the mouse to turn the monitors back on from their sleep mode. Everything seems to be working fine, AIM is still connected and so is BitTorrent. I moved the mouse down to the task bar so I can launch IE and then it freezes. The bar autohides again but leaves a streak of where it had been and won't come back up. All the programs open freeze. I hear this odd click. I looked around thinking that someone had walked in behind me and ****ed a gun.

No one there.

I look back to the computer. Still frozen. Right click, left click, nothing is working! The three finger salute gets nothing but a laugh from the computer. It has completely locked up. There is nothing to do but a hard restart.

The computer runs through it's diagnostics. Two hard drives on IDE0, a DVD and CD burner on IDE1 and the RAM is fine. The CPU is running at a cool 39 degrees (I love that new heatsink) and the ATA133 card has two 160GB drives attached. Everything is running as planned.

The black screen before the Windows load bar appears on schedule. It stays. And stays. And stays a bit longer. Another hard reset gets me back to Windows and logged in, but Explorer has crashed before it even loaded. Only by getting to Task Manager and creating/ending Explorer five times am I able to get my desktop back and the start bar loaded. Nothing else is loaded. I had this problem before, when the original 60GB failed. I heard that click again and recalled hearing it multiple times while the computer was refusing to boot. Anyway, I didn't like that McAfee hadn't loaded along with Motherboard Monitor, so I figure that since I've gotten Explorer running now, a soft restart should work. It didn't and the same thing happened.

By now, it was 7:15 and I was running late. I restarted again with the XP disc in the drive (and the clicking noise still being heard about every five seconds) and boot into Windows set up. Instead of going to the recovery console, I accidenly did a repair in which Windows deleted a bunch of system files and reinstalled them. After clicking the wrong thing, I got fed up and just got in the shower. It was a quick ten minutes and I get out and dried and come back to my room to find that XP is loading. And loading and still loading for over 5 minutes. It didn't work. I restarted and it did the same thing, it showed the loading screen but there was absolutely no CPU activity; nothing but that clicking. I go into XP setup again while eating breakfast (back on schedule now, too) and run the Console. I did a check disk and lo and behold: the 15GB drive has "one or more critical errors that cannot be repaired."

That clicking was, as I was begining to fear, the click of death. So now, after work, I have to reinstall XP on the new 60GB drive that was just RMAed. Thank God I made a 10GB partition on the 60GB for just this reason. But man, talk about frustrating. I am so afraid to use that computer now, it seems like everything goes bad.

saturnotaku
07-29-04, 08:41 AM
Hard drives have become so shoddy lately. I've had to replace my 80 GB Western Digital drive no less than three times over the past two years (thank God WD has a good warranty and will cross ship if you provide a CC). My older 20 GB drive had to be replaced 3 times as well. No wonder these companies have dropped their warranties down to 1 year from 3. That ought to tell you something.

My parents have an old Quantum (before the Maxtor buyout) Bigfoot drive in their AMD K6-2 machine that's still going strong. And I do believe that my old 13.6 GB WD hard drive is still functional after lo these many years.

The old adage applies here - they don't build 'em like they used to. :rolleyes:

Riptide
07-29-04, 08:44 AM
Ouch sorry to hear about that man... I just had to call Dell for an IBM DeathStar that decided to crash yesterday in one of our optiplex systems. Ofcourse, the user had data on there that wasn't backed up but we can't do anything for him. Click of death there to...

saturnotaku
07-29-04, 08:52 AM
On the whole Deathstar thing, since Hitachi took over making those drives has the quality improved? I've seen them for sale at Fry's and they are certainly more expensive than a comparable Maxtor or WD.

Slyder
07-29-04, 09:13 AM
On the whole Deathstar thing, since Hitachi took over making those drives has the quality improved? I've seen them for sale at Fry's and they are certainly more expensive than a comparable Maxtor or WD.

No idea personally.

I always go with Maxor, mainly because I manage to kill 2 IBM deathstars in a month, and a friend suggested Maxtor. I have never looked back.

Sorry to hear about your hdd dieing.

superklye
07-29-04, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the support, guys.

Yeah, it was an old Maxtor 15GB (I use nothing but Maxtor). It was a good drive, over 4 years old, I guess it's time had just come. But like 3 weeks ago, my 60GB Maxtor (that's about 1.5 years old) just completely crapped out. I was able to recover most of the data thanks to a USB 2.0 enclosure and some excellent software, but I still lost a few documents, a lot of my favorites and a ton of pictures that are irreplaceable.

I'm using a buddy's USB 2.0 enclosure again tonight to hopefully pull some data off the 15GB before junking it, but man, I have no faith in any of my hard drives anymore. Thank God for DVD burners...I've got a LOT of stuff to back up tonight.

I have lost count how many times I've had to reinstall XP in the last 7 months...it's well over 10 though, I believe and I'm getting a bit sick of it now. Hopefully this is the last time for a while, but wow...I am just WAITING for the next HDD failure... :(

Riptide
07-29-04, 10:02 AM
Ghost is your friend man. :) Make an image occasionally. It saved my ass last week when I corrupted my system files trying to overclock. Hooked up my portable USB drive with my 15GB image, booted off my CD, and ghosted. I had my entire system running (week old backup) just fine again in 30 minutes. Sure beats a 6 hour rebuild!

As far as how the Hitachis are, I can't comment. Don't own one. I'm using Raptors now. I did read on arstechnica a few days back that Seagate is extending their warranty back up to 5 years. So at least they seem to stand by their products... I like Seagate, they're a good company. EXCELLENT scsi drives.

superklye
07-29-04, 10:05 AM
Ghost is your friend man. :) Make an image occasionally. It saved my ass last week when I corrupted my system files trying to overclock. Hooked up my portable USB drive with my 15GB image, booted off my CD, and ghosted. I had my entire system running (week old backup) just fine again in 30 minutes. Sure beats a 6 hour rebuild!

As far as how the Hitachis are, I can't comment. Don't own one. I'm using Raptors now. I did read on arstechnica a few days back that Seagate is extending their warranty back up to 5 years. So at least they seem to stand by their products... I like Seagate, they're a good company. EXCELLENT scsi drives.

Yeah, I really need to buy a USB enclosure of my own, lift Ghost 8.0 Enterprise from work and make an image when I get my machine back up and running.

Seagate extending its warranties is awesome and it really makes me want to move to them instead. Their drives can be just as shoddy, but I'll keep getting free ones for 5 years. ;)

I was really, really surprised that the 60GB was still under warranty, I thought for sure it was a one-year only and I was screwed, but luckily not. I hope this one lasts at least a year. :-\