PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Tournament 2004: Editor's Choice Edition

LiquidX
07-29-04, 03:40 PM
Good thing I waited. :)
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/07/29/news_6103731.html

jbirney
07-29-04, 04:20 PM
Yea! I wonder which mods will be included ;)

Krakn3Dfx
07-29-04, 06:05 PM

Wonder what the chances are they'll offer some sort of upgrade path for current UT2K4 owners. Probably not verty good, since they've lost the Unreal license, they'll probably just try to milk current UT2K4 owners out of $40 more to get a few new extras.

Riptide
07-29-04, 07:36 PM
The two versions just about have to be compatible with each other I would think. Some of the additions, like the new maps, ought to work with the "normal" version. I would think if you conneted to a server that is hosting one of these maps you would just download it and be able to play.

jbirney
07-29-04, 09:48 PM
Wonder what the chances are they'll offer some sort of upgrade path for current UT2K4 owners. Probably not verty good, since they've lost the Unreal license, they'll probably just try to milk current UT2K4 owners out of $40 more to get a few new extras.

The new stuff will be a free download so it wont cost exsisting owners one penny to get this (well other than any extra broad band charges your ISP may dish out).

The goal of this version is the same as the GOTYE Epic did in 99. It was not to force anyone to upgrade. But provide the average joe a complete Unreal experice with all of the upgrades, patches and bonuspacks as well as a few of the top mods. Remember the average joe does not know about some of these things so the out of box experince is what Epic is going after.

I personally think its a good idea for them. The offer a more complete package to those people that don't own the game and give free updates to the current owners. Where as other companies charge you an extra $20 for their "bonus packs" errrr I mean add ons :)

superklye
07-30-04, 10:34 AM
The new stuff will be a free download so it wont cost exsisting owners one penny to get this (well other than any extra broad band charges your ISP may dish out).

The goal of this version is the same as the GOTYE Epic did in 99. It was not to force anyone to upgrade. But provide the average joe a complete Unreal experice with all of the upgrades, patches and bonuspacks as well as a few of the top mods. Remember the average joe does not know about some of these things so the out of box experince is what Epic is going after.

I personally think its a good idea for them. The offer a more complete package to those people that don't own the game and give free updates to the current owners. Where as other companies charge you an extra $20 for their "bonus packs" errrr I mean add ons :)

I hope you're right...but if you remember, they released Windows XP only maps. Of course, those were ripped by users, but it was still a very shady thing to do.

I sure hope they offer that stuff as free upgrades or I doubt I will ever purchase another Unreal/UT title again.

LycosV
07-30-04, 10:37 AM
The REAL reason for releasing editor's choice/gold editions is obvious: It's so they can reup the price of the game to a higher price. Once a game is out for a while it's expected that the price will slowly drop, the solution to this is to continually realease newer versions with free content added to the CD/DVD. This gives the company the justification to sell for original retail price an older game. It's a classic trick of the trade.

sonaboy
07-30-04, 11:00 AM

hmmm...new onslaught vehicles! sweet.

i hope the extra code is free for download somewhere.

|JuiceZ|
07-30-04, 11:44 AM
w007!!1 another UnreaL box to add to the collection :cool:

MUYA
07-30-04, 11:52 AM
Onslaught Rocks :D

sonaboy
07-30-04, 11:57 AM
maybe a cicada is like a mantis, but can actually CLIMB A HILL.

:D :D :D

jbirney
07-30-04, 01:59 PM
Onslaught Rocks :D

Surfing behind a raptor rocks!

I hope you're right...but if you remember, they released Windows XP only maps. Of course, those were ripped by users, but it was still a very shady thing to do.

I sure hope they offer that stuff as free upgrades or I doubt I will ever purchase another Unreal/UT title again.

Don't worry they will. I have some info.....however I can say anything more than that :)

Greg
07-31-04, 06:48 PM
And, though it wasn't in the official press release, HomeLAN contacted Epic Games' Vice President Mark Rein this morning who assured them that all of the new content in the upcoming version of their multiplayer shooter will be released on the net for free for owners of the first version of UT 2004. :D

Source http://www.planetunreal.com/ (Thu · Jul 29 · 2004 )

Epic has always rewarded their early customers rather than punish them like other do, so this is hardly surprising.