PDA

View Full Version : Ha! DOOM 3 Scares Away S.T.A.L.K.E.R!

GamerGuyX
07-29-04, 08:12 PM
If you haven't heard, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has been officialy delayed. :lame: According to Gamespot S.T.A.L.K.E.R. will now come out some time between January-March 2005.

THQ's CEO Brian Farrell states that DOOM 3 and Halo 2 are the reasons why S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is being delayed. :screwy: I guess he thinks the hype of DOOM 3 and Halo 2 will impact sales. :retard:

LINK (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/07/29/news_6103735.html)

EDIT: Hmmm. The way I wrote the title makes it sound like I don't want S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Just to let you guys know, I do want it. :)

CaptNKILL
07-29-04, 08:28 PM
Damn, that sucks. I was really looking forward to playing this... guess i have to keep waiting :|

SH64
07-29-04, 08:32 PM
Damn, that sucks. I was really looking forward to playing this... guess i have to keep waiting :|

^

GamerGuyX
07-29-04, 08:34 PM
Sorry for being the bearer of bad news... :(

WeReWoLf
07-30-04, 01:41 AM
Stalker is such cool looking game... Much better than Farcry in graphics, and yes, it is an unknown (back when they started at least) developer yet again popping up out of nowhere to take on the big boys (ie Crytek)

killahsin
07-30-04, 04:48 AM
stalker is another shader intensive game where certain effects will only show up on nv cards

to bad =(
i wanted to see this game in motion soon

Intel17
07-30-04, 08:38 AM
well crytek was unknown too...

I think STALKER looks like a cool game that ill buy eventually.

Skrot
07-30-04, 08:46 AM
I think that's what Werewolf was saying... that crytek popped up to challenge id, epic, valve and whoever else (in the FPS scene).

|JuiceZ|
07-30-04, 10:10 AM
As much as seeing this game delayed really sucks, THQ decision was a smart one. The release of D3 & HL2 would surely over shadow Stalker's release. I think they're going for the type reaction Farcry received when a great game was released from an <unknown> developer.

Seeing Stalker in action last fall in an alpha stage was highly impressive, can only imagine what it'll be like once its polished & released. Incredibly detailed outdoor environments, w/ real-time day-to-night transitions, 8 different endings, it should turn quite a few heads.

aAv7
07-30-04, 10:26 AM
I knew this game would be delayed! I read an article a few months ago stating there's no way the game would be done before Q1 05. I told everyone...no one listened. Sux...but I saw this one comin.

superklye
07-30-04, 10:29 AM
This is the game where you're on some kind of SWAT-like team right? And there's a hostage situation but it's supernatural or something? Or was that another game?

Edge
07-30-04, 10:34 AM
In a way I'm almost glad, considering we now have 3 EXTREMELY high-profile FPS games set to be released between now and the end of the year (Doom 3, Half-life 2, Halo 2), STALKER would've likely gotten overlooked, especially if it had a few issues they still needed to resolve. Hopefully the extra time will allow them to add a bit more to the game, I'd rather wait another 6 months for a great game rather than have a flawed game sooner (not to mention considering Doom 3, Half-life 2, and Halo 2 were all originally supposed to be released in 2003, we should be used to long delays by now).

This is the game where you're on some kind of SWAT-like team right? And there's a hostage situation but it's supernatural or something? Or was that another game?

No, that's F.E.A.R., a new game from Monolith set to be released in Q1 2005. STALKER is the one set in Chernoble with a free-roaming environment and mutants.

superklye
07-30-04, 10:38 AM
In a way I'm almost glad, considering we now have 3 EXTREMELY high-profile FPS games set to be released between now and the end of the year (Doom 3, Half-life 2, Halo 2), STALKER would've likely gotten overlooked, especially if it had a few issues they still needed to resolve. Hopefully the extra time will allow them to add a bit more to the game, I'd rather wait another 6 months for a great game rather than have a flawed game sooner (not to mention considering Doom 3, Half-life 2, and Halo 2 were all originally supposed to be released in 2003, we should be used to long delays by now).

No, that's F.E.A.R., a new game from Monolith set to be released in Q1 2005. STALKER is the one set in Chernoble with a free-roaming environment and mutants.

ahhh...See, I knew it was another one with the letters of a word spelled out with periods inbetween letters. That game looks VERY badass. STALKER also looks sweet as hell...I'm very, very excited for D3, HL2, STALKER and FEAR and as you said, hopefully this extra time allows for them to really fine-tune the game.

I just hope HL2 gets released... :-\

aAv7
07-30-04, 10:57 AM
this game looks incredible, I want to play it....what p*sses me off is this game was due last nov. before any1 really knew about it....it got delayed.....then it was due this nov......again delayed, now 2005...wtf...what really p*sses me off is the reason they gave. "Due to the release of Halo 2 their pushing the title back to Q1 05" .....ok...your pushing it back over a console game!? No one with a PC cares much about consoles....and vice versa....their two different worlds....thats such a poor excuse (must of had valve make it out for them) if that isnt enough, what really worries me is the gameplay now......their holding it back because of a console game...that tells me they dont have much faith in their own product. I know if I had made a kick ass game, i'd be like, put it out there...word of mouth will get around and peep's will see this game is awesome....I wouldnt be like "oooooh noooo we knew Halo 2 was coming in november since E3...let's just hold it back out of nowhere now...since were so close to release...I really want to dissapoint some gamers!" :rolleyes: So either 1.) They have no faith in their product and their honestly afraid a console game is gonna hand them their butts. ooooor 2.) Thier b.s'ing us about Halo 2 and the game just isnt ready yet......either way, its ridiculous.

I'm with you superkyle...I hope HL2 gets released. If not..pc gaming gets to suffer another boring year. Yea doom 3 is nice eye-candy and im excited about it....but I was looking foward to either stalker and or hl2 for a good story to follow. =/

Seoulstriker
07-30-04, 01:14 PM
I don't think STALKER looks that great. I've seen the graphics. I've seen the texture of the sky. It just isn't happening. HL2 even looks old and outdated now that Doom 3 is here.

aAv7
07-30-04, 01:22 PM
I personally think HL2's graphics still pack a punch....just not the k.o punch it had last year.

superklye
07-30-04, 01:36 PM
I personally think HL2's graphics still pack a punch....just not the k.o punch it had last year.

I agree...they still look awesome, but I think they look a bit dated now...but that's fine because I have no doubt that game will kick loads of ass.

Provided Valve got their ****e together and made the game run better on nVIDIA.

LycosV
07-30-04, 05:00 PM
Games always look worse as they approach release. When a game is early on they look really cool, not because they're farther in the future (that's part of it) but because they rig the movies/screenshots/etc. to look better than the game will. You can always tell when a game is getting close to release as the screenshots go from "DAMN!" to "Hey that looks like a GAME."

STALKER's texture detail looks great, even in the leaked alpha. The game has some serious potential, but noone can stand against the hypewagons that are DOOM3, HL2, and Halo 2. People are sheep and it doesn't matter if they hear STALKER is cool, if they have to pick between Halo2, HL2, DOOM2, and STALKER they're not going with STALKER.

BTW, anyone who doesn't think STALKER's skies are amazing looking is on crack. :)

Edge
07-30-04, 08:09 PM
Wait, there was a leaked STALKER alpha? Huh, guess I missed that memo, did it have any of the features the full game is touting (like the open world, etc) or was it just a few maps and guns like most alphas out there? I'm just trying to figure out which alpha was the most extensive: so far there's the Unreal 2 alpha, the Doom 3 alpha, the Half-life 2 alpha, and the STALKER alpha. Now all we need is a F.E.A.R. alpha and a Halo 2 alpha, and we're set! Oh, no wait, then we just get a bunch of short, buggy versions of a game that only makes us wish even more that the full version is out...but at least you can brag about how pretty the graphics are...even if they do only run at 1 FPS :D

To be honest you'd think companies would've learned after the first couple of alpha leaks...haven't they heard of a thing called a "firewall"? And perhaps it wasn't a good idea to send out all these preview alpha versions of games to "John's gaming magazine", nothing good can come of that!

SH64
07-30-04, 08:20 PM
Speaking of which ..

a new(i think) Stalker trailer :

http://www.3dgamers.com/dl/games/stalker/stalker_tr729_wm.zip.html

stncttr908
07-30-04, 11:42 PM
I don't think STALKER looks that great. I've seen the graphics. I've seen the texture of the sky. It just isn't happening. HL2 even looks old and outdated now that Doom 3 is here.
Have you seen some of the indoor graphics? DX9 at its finest. I recommend checking out some of the movies.

http://www.3dgamers.com/dl/games/stalker/stlkwlk_big.zip.html

Woodelf
07-31-04, 03:58 PM
"THQ CEO Brian Farrell referenced the likely holiday releases of Halo 2 and Doom 3, stating, "Let's keep S.T.A.L.K.E.R. away from that."

Doom 3 releases in a few days, and I'm not hearing anyone being all that hyped about halo 2. Halo 2 might not even be released on time. and Stalker is over due. Personally I'm just as hyped over stalker, as I am with doom 3. If they are going to be running away from games, they might as well run from Call of Cthulhu, Brothers in Arms, vampire the masquarade: bloolines, the elderscrolls 4,
and duke nukem forever, as well. As far as I'm concerned, they've got a damn fine game on their hands, and doom 3 is only going to take so long to finish.

Jocomp10
07-31-04, 04:30 PM
I agree Besides people buy more than one or two games per year.

Woodelf
07-31-04, 04:40 PM
I don't think they realise how starved we are for (good) FPS's this year. :)

Seoulstriker
07-31-04, 05:25 PM
Have you seen some of the indoor graphics? DX9 at its finest. I recommend checking out some of the movies.

http://www.3dgamers.com/dl/games/stalker/stlkwlk_big.zip.html

I've watched all of the videos. Honestly, I'm not that impressed now that Doom 3 is out. DX9 ain't that great in actuality, just a few more special effects and shinier pixel shaders. Reminds me of the SH3 graphics.