PDA

View Full Version : Driver issues perhaps?

superklye
07-29-04, 08:17 PM
As I stated in a thread earlier this morning, my Windows HDD died after the click of death had it's way with it. I got Windows XP back up and an installed, but now it seems as though I've got some sort of issue.

I've got the 60GB HDD with Windows on IDE1 and it is the only thing there.

I have a Maxtor ATA133 card and attached are two Maxtor 160GB drives.

I know you're supposed to have the drives disconnected before installing the drivers, but I didn't feel like opening my case again and went ahead anyway. I've done it in the past and had no problems, but now whenever I have My Computer open and WMP playing a video, when I scroll in My Computer, WMP freezes and gets all sorts of choppy, in fact, the whole system does.

Is this some sort of driver issue either with the 61.76 drivers, the nForce2 drivers or possibly the ATA133 drivers? Is there a certain order I should've done the GeFORCE/nForce drivers?

saturnotaku
07-29-04, 08:23 PM
Here's my Windows install routine:

OS
Service Pack (2 build 2149 in my case)
DirectX 9 (if needed)
Network drivers to hit up Windows update
Video
Sound and anything else

Sounds like something got b0rked in your install. Have you made sure that your hard drives are running in Ultra DMA mode? Sometimes the nForce IDE drivers like to reset hard drives to PIO mode when installed.

superklye
07-29-04, 08:41 PM
DMA is available. I guess I'll uninstall sound, video, chipset and any other driver i can think of and start over.

*sigh*

this so so annoying.

superklye
07-29-04, 10:12 PM
I think it was actually the advanced networking platform on Windows Update. Somehow, I accidently installed that along with the other updates (I never install it due to issues in the past) and after uninstalling that, the nForce and GeForce drivers, it's working just fine now. :)