PDA

View Full Version : S/PDIF and Sony MZ-R700 MD

SkaGuy3876
10-27-02, 03:12 PM
Can I use the S/PDIF In on my Abit NV7-133R to transfer music from my Sony MZ-R700 Minidisc on to my computer? The only output on my mindisc is the headphone jack, which is Stereo Mini, right? If so, what cable should I use? Is the S/PDIF the same as fiber optic and toslink, or are these different things? I really have no idea. Thanks.

The Baron
10-27-02, 03:17 PM
No.

MDs don't have optical out, so you can't use optical in.

SkaGuy3876
10-27-02, 03:48 PM
ok. that sucks. well is S/PDIF the same as toslink and fiber optic?

The Baron
10-27-02, 04:25 PM
OK... SPDIF ain't optical to begin with, so that's right out.

SPDIF uses a kind of RCA cable to do digital transfer, and MDs don't have that to begin with. They have optical, which is a really thin cable that can have plugs like a stereo mini cable but covered in plastic.

Toslink is a kind of connector for an optical (not SPDIF) cable. It's square and used on DVD players and some computers (SBLive Plat 5.1 front box has 2 of em).

Hope it helps...

SkaGuy3876
10-27-02, 08:35 PM
Can I go from the headphone jack on my minidisc, which is call stereo mini, I think, to the S/PDIF In (Optical) on my computer? Anyone know what cable or if it would even work? And the headphone jack is the only output on my minidisc, do some have others? Thanks.

The Baron
10-27-02, 10:03 PM
I know my RZ50 (it's pretty old) has line out, headphone out, and mic/line in.

And no, there is no way to convert a normal stereo cable to a digital cable except by piping it through something with both connections.

SkaGuy3876
10-27-02, 10:16 PM
Yeah, thanks. I think Ill just look for a better stereo mini to stereo mini cable. Any suggestions for that?

The Baron
10-27-02, 11:05 PM
a cable is a cable, for the most part... :p