PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3 = next CS for older comps?

v3rninate
07-29-04, 10:26 PM
While DOOM 3 uses one of the most cutting edge and advanced 3D rendering engines on the planet, it's without hesitation that we say it is also one of the most forgiving in terms of the computer hardware needed. id Software has maximized their install base by creating a game that will be available to more people than most ever imagined.

This from HARDOCP on their new article about Doom 3. I wonder if this will be the next CS as far as MP goes. They say it's very "forgiving" on low end systems. Really, that's how ALL games should be and the devs SHOULD bare in mind that much, that not everyone has tons of cash lying around to spend on the latest hardware and software.

GG! (mag)

Mr. Hunt
07-29-04, 10:44 PM
I hope so because I am getting sick of CS being the most popular MP game... it was fun when it first came out as a mod for HL... but now it is a million years old and needs to DIE.

GamerGuyX
07-29-04, 10:47 PM
There is one BIG difference between DOOM 3 and Counter-Strikes multiplayer. Counter-Strikes multiplayer supports MANY people while DOOM 3 supports only 4 or so.

jbirney
07-29-04, 10:53 PM
While I think Doom3 will provide a good experince to those low end users, thats not what made CS so popular. CS is/was popular because of its game play. So far I have not heard much about doom3 MP part. Will it be DM only? CTF? Other game modes? What are the server requirments? What are the mod capabilities?

-=DVS=-
07-29-04, 10:59 PM
Ehh guys , Doom 3 was not made for multiplayer , and its no way forgiveing to low ends , sure its sorta ok for solo play but even then low quality settings fps are like 640x480 min 16 max 60 avrg 38.9 ( 5200 ) , now in CS you could have minimum/avg/max at constant 99fps ;)

v3rninate
07-30-04, 01:19 AM
True, but at least you can play it on crappy machines and it still looks darn good. That's really the point I should of brought up was that it looks real good on low grfx/low end machine and you still get decent fps. :retard:

CaptNKILL
07-30-04, 01:54 AM
True, but at least you can play it on crappy machines and it still looks darn good. That's really the point I should of brought up was that it looks real good on low grfx/low end machine and you still get decent fps. :retard:
Most games ive played seem to work fine on lower end hardware, Doom 3 isnt that special in that it runs well, its just that it uses such new technology but still works on old hardware. Im sure other games have lower minimum specs that are better for multiplayer.

jAkUp
07-30-04, 02:04 AM
PC Gaming is all about the high end. Its an expensive hobby. I wish developers would cater more towards the high end to give a better reason to buy expensive hardware. Without games with super graphics, we wouldn't see the high end cards we all drool over :)

Rakeesh
07-30-04, 02:06 AM
The reason CS is still popular is because so many people like that game, the engine has nothing to do with it. Frankly I see people with more up to date computers play that game than everybody else. The new games that clone it just don't do the job right. Sure, they have better graphics, more realism, etc, but when it comes right down to it, CS is just overall a funner game to play.

A similar thing happened with the first quake; team fortress was the CS of that era. Many TF clones came out for many other games, even up when quake 3 and TFC came around people were still playing the original TF, primarily because the new physics engines used in these games just didn't bring out the fun of the original.

But if you don't like the fact that CS is popular, just don't play it. *shrug* Honestly I don't see any purpose in complaining about it.

killahsin
07-30-04, 05:54 AM
There will never be a CS killer, except for maybe cs2. TF2 prolly has a strong chance

It's hard to eat away at core audiances. Addictions are not easy to break =)

I don't see a game reaching cs numbers for along time. CoD an excellent i eman excellent online game doesn't do it. BF and its mods doesnt etc... It's going to take an amazing i mean amazing multiplayer mod/game/tc with some serious skill curves, to reach the numbers of CS.

The only game i see doing this that isnt a mmorpg, is guildwars which is a mmorpg but not p2p

Edge
07-30-04, 09:43 AM
Not a big CS fan, but NS certainly has my dedication. But I'm more worried about Doom 3's netcode, only 4 player support? And how much do you want to bet that it's almost unplayable on dial-up? Some of the most fun times I've had is with playing 20+ player games in NS, and it actually managed to be playable on my 56k (when I could actually get a decent connection, anyway). Seems like as graphics technology is getting more advanced, other gameplay related elements like netcode take a back seat. Funny that the game with the best netcode out there is 6 years old (well, Warcraft 3 was also damn amazing, I'll give it that).

Krakn3Dfx
07-30-04, 10:18 AM
There is one BIG difference between DOOM 3 and Counter-Strikes multiplayer. Counter-Strikes multiplayer supports MANY people while DOOM 3 supports only 4 or so.

Carmack stated in an interview on ign or 3dgamer or somewhere that the 4 player limit is artificial, and that it will be possible to allow 8 and 16 players in new levels/mods. He also said that 8 or over would require a monster server and bandwidth connection, so they would probably mostly be limited to LAN games in the near future.

Fatman
07-30-04, 10:48 AM
CS flexibily and more importantly its netcode, coupled with gameplay. Those are the top reasons for CS's enduring popularity. There are still many countries in Europe, Asia, and Africa where people pay for incoming and outgoing traffic. Hardware is heavily taxed and costs significantly more than it does here in the USA. So I highly doubt that D3 engine will do well with modem users around the world.

Rakeesh
07-30-04, 01:47 PM
Not a big CS fan, but NS certainly has my dedication.

Natural-Selection right? I love that game :D I rarely play CS these days, if at all, but I play NS more than anything.

Edge
07-30-04, 11:17 PM
Yup, that's the one. I've been an avid player off it ever since it was released. I've probably put over a thousand hours into it by now. Hell, I even played it when I didn't have internet! (don't ask). Actually what's your screenname in the game and what servers do you play on? I'm usually on Texas[HK] if you're looking for a good server (used to play on ElasticalGomez, but it's kinda empty now and the pings are much worse than they used to be).

LycosV
07-31-04, 12:34 PM
In short, no. Doom 3 is a high-end game, no doubt about it. You'll probably be able to run it on lower (meaning mid-range) PC's, but it's going to look worse than older games. Also, as everyone else is saying, Doom 3 is not made for multiplayer, the 4 player thing gives it away. I see Doom 3 as a resident evilish kind of game. A horror game meant to be played single player, in a dark room, at night. :)

The only thing that will kill off CS is it's age. Even a CS2 wouldn't have a big effect, look at the responces they've always gotten with patches, do you think everyone will just up and change to playing a CS2? CS is very similar to StarCraft in that respect. People aren't going to stop playing them, even if you release a sequal. Your best bet is to let them die, then release a sequal using the old one to build hype.

Acid Rain
08-02-04, 05:09 PM
sure its sorta ok for solo play but even then low quality settings fps are like 640x480 min 16 max 60 avrg 38.9 ( 5200 ) , now in CS you could have minimum/avg/max at constant 99fps ;)

Well...it is a 5200.

Play much Far Cry with that thing?

I would have to say that Doom is definitely forgiving. I mean, look what are getting even at those low settings.

Not to mention Counter Strike is like, a thousand years old and it sure looks it.;)