PDA

View Full Version : Straight to SP or MP?

jAkUp
07-29-04, 11:18 PM
So, whos gonna load up some multiplayer first? Me, I think I'm gonna go through the single player part first. I've been waiting too long for this game for its single player mode :)

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/110/110021/folders/88616/596393doom3ad.jpg

SH64
07-29-04, 11:25 PM
SP all the way!!
i hate MP anyway ..

stncttr908
07-29-04, 11:35 PM
The MP just seems like a novelty. Give me the SP all the way.

Sazar
07-29-04, 11:36 PM
the mp is supposed to be with 4 people total.. how much fun can that possibly be?

SP all the way baby :thumbsup:

r3negad3
07-29-04, 11:38 PM
the mp is supposed to be with 4 people total.. how much fun can that possibly be?

Actualy, it would probably be really fun.

Single-player is what I'm anticipating anyways... :D

Drunken_Master
07-30-04, 12:06 AM
I'm really amped to play D3's single player mode. It's the first time that id has hired a professional writer to flesh out the story so I'm curious how it will turn out.

I still hear the screams of the lady in the History of Doom feature by G4-TechTV, "THEY GOT MY BABY!!!" :scarey:

WeReWoLf
07-30-04, 01:53 AM
I couldn't really care less! I just want Doom 3 in my hot, sweaty palms! And then in my CD-Drive. And then on my Hard Drive. And then being rendered by my Graphics card in any way, shape or form...

Slybri
07-30-04, 02:33 AM
You should never play mp first in any game!
It ruins the joy of discovering the weapons in the single player game.

Besides, it would be a bit confusing jumping into MP without knowing anything about the SP game and the mechanics of the doom 3 world.

On the other hand, it would be fun to be one of the first in MP and be able to chat about how cool it is.

Ninjaman09
07-30-04, 06:54 AM
Of course, everyone else would be playing single player so you'd just be running through the levels...

I guess there's no coop mode? I remember how much fun it was to play Doom 2 over a modem with my friends in coop. We'd make it about 10 levels in before just blasting the crap out of each other. Man, that was so fun.

WeReWoLf
07-30-04, 07:30 AM
Nope... no co-op mode for PC. Co-op mode for Xbox though.

Mr. Hunt
07-30-04, 08:14 AM
Singleplayer first.

msxyz
07-30-04, 08:46 AM
Multiplayer restricted to 4 players will mean long queues and busy servers all the way... :lame:
This is bad for me. I dont' have too much spare time to sit and wait for my turn to play. Besides, if I don't find a good MP server quickly, I dont' insist too much; I just switch to another game
(bur)

Vash
07-30-04, 08:57 AM
I actually haven't made my mind up yet. The 2nd is a Monday, and I'm going to want an optimal D3 experience...

Who am I kidding? I'm gonna crack open single player right away. Getting home @ 9:15PM leaves me with ~ an hour of darkened room D3 playing time.

Edge
07-30-04, 10:40 AM

Well, Pandora Tommarrow had pretty amazing multiplayer and it only supported 4 players, but since Doom 3 sounds like it will only have a pretty simplistic, no frills multiplayer mode, I can see how few people would be excited in it. Then again, even if it was 16+ player I'm not sure if I'd be interested in it, I'd rather see something new and interesting in the multiplayer mode than simply a high player count (NS with 8 players is better than CS with 32 players, in my opinion). Hopefully some decent mods will come out for it, but to be honest I'm almost more excited in what kind of single player mods could come from this game, I've had my fill of multiplayer mods from Half-life. Though the coop mode in the Xbox version sounds intruiging, but most people wouldn't be willing to wait the extra time to play the game if they already have a computer that can play it (not to mention coop would probably be best played after you've already beaten the game).

I'll probably do the same with Halo 2 and Half-life 2 when they're released as well: beat the campaign alone first, then open up some multiplayer.

nvnews-reader
07-30-04, 12:07 PM
LOL I thought you were talking about SP and SMP, :lame:

PaiN
07-30-04, 12:35 PM
I'm not much into MP(hell, I've finished D2:ToB...and never once went on Battle.net) ...I do some UT04 DMing when I'm tired and don't want to have to think ;)

Its SP all the way

superklye
07-30-04, 12:37 PM

my sentiments exactly.

superklye
07-30-04, 12:48 PM
I'm not much into MP(hell, I've finished D2:ToB...and never once went on Battle.net) ...I do some UT04 DMing when I'm tired and don't want to have to think ;)

Its SP all the way

You know you don't ever have to play MP with UT2k4. I never have (other than a couple LAN games with the roommates against a bunch of bots) and doubt I ever will. The bot AI is just incredible and more than enough to keep me happy/busy.

Elminster
07-30-04, 05:32 PM

Deffinetly SP first but 4 player multi-player, if done right can be awesome. Prime examples are Golden Eye and Perfect Dark. Not on the PC but still extremly fun. I believe the maps they include even when limited to 4 people will be very fun. I am very interested in seeing some of the things other people create also.

Some of the best MP experiences are with smaler amounts of people. Who cares if there are 32 people on a server. 14 of them are fools who just run around and get shot, 6 of them are just sitting there AFK, 2 of them are hackers, mabey 6-8 are actually worth playing against and the rest are average playes or team killers.

With the smaller number of people I find it much more thrilling and you can use more strategy. Thats just my take on it though. :) Each person prefers their own style of multi-player. I think people are just looking at the 4 person limit badly because the number of PC games to actually focus on that number of players is extremly low, and hasn't been done as well as it could be. :)

Edge
07-30-04, 07:55 PM
Some of the best MP experiences are with smaler amounts of people. Who cares if there are 32 people on a server. 14 of them are fools who just run around and get shot, 6 of them are just sitting there AFK, 2 of them are hackers, mabey 6-8 are actually worth playing against and the rest are average playes or team killers.

So now the ratio will be: 1 fool, 1 AFK, 1 hacker, and you :D

Still, I'm more worried that the multiplayer will be basic deathmatch with nothing special about it (and it will probably have bad netcode). 4 player can be extremely fun, but is this going to offer anything more than Quake 3 did really? Guess we'll find out in a few days...

Bad_Boy
07-31-04, 12:18 AM

goldeneye anybody?

Skrot
07-31-04, 12:35 AM

SP all the way baby :thumbsup:I'll definitely go for Single Player at first. I *really* can't wait to play some 1 on 1 DM in doom3. 1 on 1 is the ultimate game-type fun-wise, obviously, so... woooo!

I can't wait to hear if arQon is gonna make doom3 promode. Oh man, the thought gives me tingles all over.

Son Goku
07-31-04, 05:50 AM
Well single player could give one some practice before getting out there and facing actual people... I myself though, have tended to jump into MP in the past.

I wasn't expecting (in the years leading up) that it would be limited to 4 people...though depending on who the 4 people are, that might be fun. I s'pose LAN parties would be out (except among a few friends), if one wanted to get an entire group into one game though.

superbooga
07-31-04, 10:03 AM

Doom 1 and 2's 4 player multiplayer was really fun. You moved SOOO fast in those games, 4 players was really the right amount.

Too bad the PC version doesn't support co-op. Maybe someone will make a mod for it. I remember playing Doom 2 coop on ultra-violence level. There was one level where (Level 8 I think), where you could get a ton of monsters over to the spawning spot if you weren't careful. I remember everyone dying over and over again, spawning in the middle of a zillion imps and barons of hell, with only a pistol to fight them off.

-=DVS=-
07-31-04, 11:01 AM
Multy in Doom 3 is practicaly none existant , its all about SP , and you would spoil your fun by seeing all guns right away :ORDER: