PDA

View Full Version : Best flat panel for Doom3

Pages : [1] 2 3

the_archer
07-30-04, 01:33 AM
Anyone able to make a reccommendation on the best flat panel for Doom3. Most seem to refresh too slowly, if I can find a 16ms model would that be good enough?

Bloody
07-30-04, 01:51 AM
With a 12ms response time you'll be able to get around 83fps and with 16ms around 63, in both cases with vsync turned on you shouldn't have any problems of course if your videocard can provide you with such a high framerate...

Zeno
07-30-04, 02:02 AM
Anyone able to make a reccommendation on the best flat panel for Doom3. Most seem to refresh too slowly, if I can find a 16ms model would that be good enough?

Dell 2001FP shows no noticable ghosting for me in slower first person shooters (like Doom 3). If your graphics card has DVI out, and esp if it will be able to run the game at 1600x1200, I highly recommend it.

Arioch
07-30-04, 02:23 AM
Well I do not think you will have to worry about the refresh rate of an LCD with this game if you plan on running it with some serious IQ.

Bottle
07-30-04, 02:36 AM
You may want to hold off on purchasing a flat screen for a couple of months. For more info., see this article;

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17482

Bottle

raysusan
07-30-04, 03:18 AM
With a 12ms response time you'll be able to get around 83fps and with 16ms around 63, in both cases with vsync turned on you shouldn't have any problems of course if your videocard can provide you with such a high framerate...
hi
may i know what does vsync does to the image??

Bloody
07-30-04, 03:28 AM
When the vsync (Vertical synchonisation) is on it locks the framerate to the refresh rate and thus you don't get more than 60 ot 75 frames per second displayed on your LCD. This way there is no fast framerates that can cause tearing of the image and blur like effects, but this also depends on the matrix's response time. Just try running Quake3 on high-end pc with an LCD monitor and with vsync off and you'll see what I'm taling about ;)

raysusan
07-30-04, 04:37 AM
When the vsync (Vertical synchonisation) is on it locks the framerate to the refresh rate and thus you don't get more than 60 ot 75 frames per second displayed on your LCD. This way there is no fast framerates that can cause tearing of the image and blur like effects, but this also depends on the matrix's response time. Just try running Quake3 on high-end pc with an LCD monitor and with vsync off and you'll see what I'm taling about ;)
so does this affect on CRT too or just LCD??

Bloody
07-30-04, 05:24 AM
Yes it does, but there you may just see image tearing (if vsync off), no ghost/blur efect because of the differen technology used. Also CRTs usually support higher refresh rates (depending on the resolution used)...

saturnotaku
07-30-04, 06:13 AM
Just for clarification, ghosting has nothing to do with vsync but rather the response time of an LCD (it doesn't affect CRTs). The lower the response time, the less chance of ghosting. Displays with 16 ms response times or lower are best for gaming.

Bloody
07-30-04, 06:20 AM
Sorry If I didn't say it clear enough... I've meant thet you may encounter image tearing with vsync off, but no ghosting/blur effect on CRTs.

monkeydust
07-30-04, 06:23 AM
The only thing that I am worrying about with Doom 3 and my 2001FP is that Doom 3 is a really dark game and LCD's don't really do justice to these games because the brightness of the backlight (have this issue with Thief 3).

dceremuga
07-30-04, 06:38 AM
Dell 2001FP shows no noticable ghosting for me in slower first person shooters (like Doom 3). If your graphics card has DVI out, and esp if it will be able to run the game at 1600x1200, I highly recommend it.

I just returned my 2001FP because of ghosting in Battlefield 1942. God, nothing beats a CRT for gaming.

grubster
07-30-04, 07:41 AM
Get a 2001FP, you won't regret it. Ive played most every game you can think of on mine and there has never been any ghosting. This includes Battlefield 1942. I think most people that dog LCD's, the 2001FP in particular, have most likely never owned one.

dceremuga
07-30-04, 08:04 AM
Get a 2001FP, you won't regret it. Ive played most every game you can think of on mine and there has never been any ghosting. This includes Battlefield 1942. I think most people that dog LCD's, the 2001FP in particular, have most likely never owned one.

If you don't see ghosting while panning around BF1942, then you are just plain blind. It is bad. You may not consider it bad, but coming from a good CRT, it looks horrible. The 2001FP is a good monitor, but NO LCD can match a CRT. PERIOD. So get out of neverland friend. :lame:

|JuiceZ|
07-30-04, 08:08 AM
I have the VP201s (www.gamepc.com/labs/print_content.asp?id=vp201b), love it. If you're not a big Lanparty guy, a nice 22" 80lbs crt is perfect but if you attend events on a regular basis like me, having an LCD makes life so much easier.

Overall CRT's are still the best for gaming but their time is growing very short.

jlee24219
07-30-04, 08:16 AM
Im using a samsung lcd with 12ms response and must say i have noticed not ghosting. If you need the extra space, like i did since my desk in college is so slim then go for an lcd. Good luck in finding one. I got mine from newegg.

ENU291
07-30-04, 08:57 AM
With today's technology using any FP for gaming is a compromise. A good quality CRT will always give you the best brightness, contrast and color. Low dot pitch and high refresh rates also help in delivering high IQ. For games like Doom 3 that require true black levels a CRT is the only way to go. A good quality FP will offer a greatly reduced footprint (space saver) while at the same time offering up a very good image. Response time, brightness and black levels are the features that are keeping FPs from displaying IQ that equal CRT displays.

Riptide
07-30-04, 09:43 AM
Some people are just more fickle than others. A slight amount of motion blur can be represented by some users as "horrible" and "pathetic". When in reality, it may not bother YOU very much. YMMV.

tobywong
07-30-04, 09:52 AM
I have the VP201s (www.gamepc.com/labs/print_content.asp?id=vp201b), love it. If you're not a big Lanparty guy, a nice 22" 80lbs crt is perfect but if you attend events on a regular basis like me, having an LCD makes life so much easier.

Overall CRT's are still the best for gaming but their time is growing very short.

/agree completely

I've been following the development of LCDs and they are just now finally starting to get to a point where they provide decent gaming performance. My goal is to eventually phase out all of my CRTs and reclaim a lot of my deskspace. I think over the next year or so we will hopefully see another leap in LCD performance that will put them on par with or surpass CRTs in terms of gaming performance.

BTW that's a sweet monitor, same LG panel as the dell uses afaik but a much nicer stand.

Carbon Unit
07-30-04, 09:59 AM

I agree, this panel rocks

ENU291
07-30-04, 12:33 PM

The Dell 2001FP is the twin brother to the VP201s. The same panel and Genesis I/O controller is used.

chris454
07-30-04, 12:38 PM
This one rocks, plus their return policy is by far the best bar none, a none of this newegg, well it has to have xx number of dead cells.
http://shop.monitorsdirect.com/product.asp?sku=2441117

Risk free guarantee
http://monitorsdirect.com/before/why_buy/guarantee.shtml

chris

|JuiceZ|
07-30-04, 12:49 PM
BTW that's a sweet monitor, same LG panel as the dell uses afaik but a much nicer stand.

Yea the stand is so nice, like the rings on the back that help w/ cable mgmt too.

This one rocks, plus their return policy is by far the best bar none, a none of this newegg, well it has to have xx number of dead cells.
http://shop.monitorsdirect.com/product.asp?sku=2441117

Risk free guarantee
http://monitorsdirect.com/before/why_buy/guarantee.shtml

chris

Make sure you check some reviews out b4 you pick that one up man. I remember one saying response time wasn't everything when it came to that panel. Few other things as well.

therapture
07-30-04, 01:28 PM
Some people are just more fickle than others. A slight amount of motion blur can be represented by some users as "horrible" and "pathetic". When in reality, it may not bother YOU very much. YMMV.

While I prefer a CRT for games and the choice of resolutions that still look crisp, I spend alot more time doing other things than playing my games, so an LCD is a MUST HAVE for eyestrain, text crispness, etc. I can handle the slight tradeoff and use an LCD exclusively, turn on vsync in faster games, and I am 99% happy. Not carrying around an 80lb 21" behemoth is also a plus. A decent 19" LCD is sweet....if only I could afford the 2001FP...bah, my kids need to eat worse hahah.