PDA

View Full Version : new soundstorm/nforce2 drivers!

Kamel
07-30-04, 07:54 AM
wow, i dunno how many of you have gotten the new nforce/soundstorm drivers, but they are excellent.

nvidia was disappointing before, but they have certainly showed they aren't going to save $$$ by not continuing development. the new driver release offers many new things over the old drivers, and improved usability. the most important features i personally found is that you can adjust the volume of each channel individually... and the best one, night mode.

with night mode enabled, the drivers calculate the difference between the loudest and softest tones in order to make them close... this means that at night you can listen to music at a fairly high level without waking others. it doesn't sound as good of course, but with night mode i can turn my speakers up noticably higher without having the noise travel far to wake the others.

just thought i would tell everyone, if you've got a soundstorm soundcard and aren't using the new drivers, i strongly suggest you do so :D

superklye
07-30-04, 09:26 AM
So if I go to nVIDIAs site and get the nForce2 drivers there...will those eff up the drivers I've downloaded and installed from Biostar?

Kamel
07-30-04, 12:30 PM
not sure, lol...

i have not used my drivers from DFI personally, i always used the ones from nvidia <3 unified drivers.

if i were guessing it would be no different than using the nvidia unified graphics drivers as opposed to the BFG/eVGA or whatever drivers that came on a cd with your video card.

superklye
07-30-04, 12:35 PM
not sure, lol...

i have not used my drivers from DFI personally, i always used the ones from nvidia <3 unified drivers.

if i were guessing it would be no different than using the nvidia unified graphics drivers as opposed to the BFG/eVGA or whatever drivers that came on a cd with your video card.

No, I'm not talking about the GeFORCE drivers. Those I get right from nVIDIA too. I was talking about the nForce drivers.

Biostar, the company that makes my mobo, has nForce drivers on their site. Should I just use theirs or would it be better to use these from nVIDIA? The drivers I installed from Biostar were like 12MB whereas these are 20MB or so if I recall correctly. So whether I should use nVIDIA's or my mobo maker's drivers for the mobo is what I'm asking.

Kamel
07-30-04, 12:44 PM
i was referring to the nforce drivers too... nforce motherboards have unified drivers just like their video cards do.

to answer your question though, i really have no idea if there is any difference between them or what it is. afaik though, the ones on nvidia's site should work flawlessly.

edit: be warned i am in no way qualified to say that, lmao

superklye
07-30-04, 12:51 PM
i was referring to the nforce drivers too... nforce motherboards have unified drivers just like their video cards do.

to answer your question though, i really have no idea if there is any difference between them or what it is. afaik though, the ones on nvidia's site should work flawlessly.

edit: be warned i am in no way qualified to say that, lmao

oh, alright. well, maybe i'll try installing their nForce drivers. I didn't realize that they were an all-in-one package. so installing the nForce also installs GeFORCE? (sorry i'm so in the dark on this subject, I didn't know there WERE drivers for the nForce chip until like 2 days ago, I always just assumed Windows would've taken care of that for me).

Nutty
07-30-04, 01:26 PM
I just installed the latest nforce drivers, and my audio system looks the same as before.. Are there some newer standalone audio drivers or something ?

Harnagel
07-30-04, 02:45 PM
oh, alright. well, maybe i'll try installing their nForce drivers. I didn't realize that they were an all-in-one package. so installing the nForce also installs GeFORCE? (sorry i'm so in the dark on this subject, I didn't know there WERE drivers for the nForce chip until like 2 days ago, I always just assumed Windows would've taken care of that for me).

Nforce drivers do not include the gforce drivers. They are different. The nforce drivers work for nvidias mainboards(NF1,2&3), the geforce drivers work for graphic cards (tnt2 to current).

superklye
07-30-04, 02:55 PM
Nforce drivers do not include the gforce drivers. They are different. The nforce drivers work for nvidias mainboards(NF1,2&3), the geforce drivers work for graphic cards (tnt2 to current).

Okay, then what do they mean by "unified drivers"...the IDE controller, chipset driver, audio driver, etc are all included or what?

superklye
07-30-04, 07:37 PM
So I installed the nForce drivers from nVIDIA's site and the effed up my system. I had to restart no less than 13 times before getting the old drivers from Biostar back on and running correctly.

IDE drives weren't being detected and all sorts of other nasty things.

NEVER AGAIN!

Kamel
07-30-04, 08:20 PM
sorry to hear about your problems...

unified drivers means you can have a biostar motherboard, or a DFI motherboard, or an asus motherboard (i'm sorry), and the same drivers will work for them all.

I just installed the latest nforce drivers, and my audio system looks the same as before.. Are there some newer standalone audio drivers or something ?

i just downloaded the nforce drivers and it had the soundstorm drivers with it *shrugs*

Sworkhard
07-31-04, 08:56 AM
It is possible that the drivers the manufacterer has on it's website include drivers for non-soundstorm audio that their boards use

OWA
07-31-04, 09:06 AM
I think the nvidia drivers provide those as well though.