PDA

View Full Version : Be honest..

Pages : [1] 2 3

PaiN
07-30-04, 12:52 PM
What did you do too get ready for Doom3???

Me,
I added a BFG 6800GT, (2)WD 10K 74gb Raptors in RAID"0", did a fresh WinXP install with all the latest & greatest, calibrated my 5.1s, rewired the entire box, bought new shelving and completely cleaned my "Man Room"(where the computer lives :)) so I wouldn't have to bring D3 home to a cluttered enviroment... (crazy)

jAkUp
07-30-04, 12:55 PM
I cleaned my room, formatted my system, 61.77's installed, got the latest audigy drivers & calibrated my audio system, cleaned my monitor, overclocked to 450/1.2, installed SP2, and I'm gonna defrag in safe mode later :)

superklye
07-30-04, 12:58 PM
I bought an eVGA GeFORCE 6800 GT. :)

Edge
07-30-04, 01:01 PM
To be honest, I really didn't do anything special for Doom 3. Although it did help sway my decision to pick up an Audigy 2 that's on clearance at a local Gamestop (since it's on clearance it doesn't really support Creative's evil monopoly), so I guess that's SOMETHING. Then again, I'll get both the hardware to play Doom 3 AND Doom 3 itself when I can get them for an acceptable price (I'm a bit of a cheapass when it comes to games). Though I think my current XP2000/GF4ti4200 (OCed to TI4600 speeds) would play Doom 3 quite respectably.

Seoulstriker
07-30-04, 01:16 PM
I masturbated at 8:03AM and 8:03PM every day since July 14th.

No, seriously, I just disconnected my big screen TV and got my computer connected to my 5.1 home theater system. :nanahump:

aAv7
07-30-04, 01:20 PM
well I bought a 6800 gt, audigy 2 zs sound card, uprgraded to a gig of ram, defragged...and i'm about to clean my "man room" (nice to know im not the only one with one of those...)

In all honesty though, I didnt buy any of this with doom 3 in mind....I was just upgrading my system for whatever did get released this year. I guess doom 3 was a part of that :)

FierceDeityLink
07-30-04, 01:24 PM
Bought a BFG Geforce 6800 Ultra (still waiting...)
Set-up a 110" screen - http://www.liquidsun.org/robby/bigscreen.jpg

I wanted to upgrade my Audigy to an Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro for $140, but my check's in the mail, and the offer ends tomorrow... I think I changed my signature already for it, but I guess there's still hope...

Ninjaman09
07-30-04, 01:24 PM
I bought the entire system listed in my sig. Then I put it together and installed Windows XP. I got lots of games, South Park episodes, and other stuff totalling like 80 GB of stuff. Then I defragged and ran Ad-Aware. Just recently I installed DX9.0c.

Now I'm playing the Far Cry interior levels trying to fool myself into thinking it looks as good as Doom 3 will. Jesus, I don't know if I can wait much longer. But I must steel my will and carry on into next week. I've waited years, it can't be that bad.

revbatboy
07-30-04, 01:29 PM
Look at my sig. most all of it was bought to prepare for Doom 3(and Halflife2).

jAkUp
07-30-04, 01:29 PM
Oh yea, I also got an NEC 22" monitor :)

Nutty
07-30-04, 01:34 PM
Bought a BFG 6800 GT (in the name of programming research ;) )
Bought some 5.1 speakers with external Dolby decoder.
Installed all latest drivers.
Booked time off work.

Just waiting for ship day... :)

|JuiceZ|
07-30-04, 01:34 PM
just bought an extra pack of drawls :D

Placid
07-30-04, 01:35 PM
Updated my video driver and defraged my hd.

UDawg
07-30-04, 01:40 PM
just bought an extra pack of drawls :D

Now we know why you are called JuiceZ AHAHAHAHAHAAA!...oops I laughted to hard... BRB.

gsgrunt
07-30-04, 01:50 PM
Bought a GF6800 GT, 200GB harddrive, moved my Altec-Lansang ADA885 speakers from my work PC to my gaming PC. I usually play games with headphones on but after reading about the surround sound in Doom3 I decided I will put up with my wife’s complaints about the noise and play Doom3 the way it should be played.

gigapower
07-30-04, 01:51 PM
I bought an the CPU, Mobo, and RAM in my sig......and I just found out that the 6800 Ultra I have on preorder will be in on August 2nd!!!!!

Ninjaman09
07-30-04, 01:52 PM
I have Logitech z560s, (4.1 speakers). Are these gonna be good?

superklye
07-30-04, 02:02 PM
To be honest, I really didn't do anything special for Doom 3. Although it did help sway my decision to pick up an Audigy 2 that's on clearance at a local Gamestop (since it's on clearance it doesn't really support Creative's evil monopoly), so I guess that's SOMETHING. Then again, I'll get both the hardware to play Doom 3 AND Doom 3 itself when I can get them for an acceptable price (I'm a bit of a cheapass when it comes to games). Though I think my current XP2000/GF4ti4200 (OCed to TI4600 speeds) would play Doom 3 quite respectably.

You do know that your Audigy 2 will do nothing for you, right? D3 uses only the CPU for sound processing so your Audigy 2 won't sound any different/better than someone using their on-board sound.

superklye
07-30-04, 02:03 PM
I masturbated at 8:03AM and 8:03PM every day since July 14th.

hahahaha...dude, i laughed so hard when i read this. :)

Riptide
07-30-04, 02:08 PM
I didn't do anything. My PC was ready two months ago. :)

Edge
07-30-04, 02:14 PM
You do know that your Audigy 2 will do nothing for you, right? D3 uses only the CPU for sound processing so your Audigy 2 won't sound any different/better than someone using their on-board sound.

In my case it will, since my current Vortex 2 card doesn't really cut it anymore using Win2k (I can't even get 4 speaker surround sound out of it in games as far as I can tell). Was a great Win98 card for A3D, but the beta Win2k drivers are very obviously beta, and I've had a few problems with it in games already (like stereo being reversed, etc). With the Audigy 2, I can get full surround sound, and hopefully be able to hook it up to my 5.1 system in my living room. Not to mention 95% of games at least support Directsound 3d (which the Vortex 2 had flakey support in even with Win98), and ones that support EAX3.0 supposedly sound pretty good. And doesn't Doom 3 now support some kind of EAX effects because of that whole blackmailing thing? Or is the engine just "EAX enabled" but not actually being used in Doom 3?

Personally, I'd rather get a different card just so that I don't have a Creative product in my computer, but an Audigy 2 for $50 is just too tempting (though I might get my friend to buy it for me with his discount, which would bring it down to $42.50...)

ragejg
07-30-04, 02:25 PM
Hmmm, yeah, but we all know deep down that ALL of our upgrades SINCE 2001 have been for Doom3... so, hm, what have I done since then? Let's see...

... just kidding... :p

Though my latest preparations have included upgrading to an A64 512k 3000+ and an Abit KV8 MAX3 mobo... :D I'll be taking my SCSI setup out of the rig soon so I can OC it a little better (hoping for ~230)

8mb cache HD will suit me fine for load times

Audigy1's fine for now, and heck, when EAX support is added, it'll be of good use

...And I'll have my 5800U back soon, so I'll be able to enjoy some 10x7 hi detail goodness.

:D

Only problem right now is my lack of 1gb memory, but I'm sellin stuff so that can happen... :D

nv40? Maybe soon. ;)

OH YEAH!! i forgot!! I'm moving my pc setup back out to the living room for a while, so I'm gonna have the Audigy hookin up to my 500W 5.1 reciever asnd stuff... AND the PC will be hooked to the tv, AND I'll have my corless keyboard/mouse... hmm, wonder what 640x480, 4XAA/8xAF would look like on the TV, on HIGH quality mode... :D:D

FierceDeityLink
07-30-04, 02:28 PM
With the Audigy 2, I can get full surround sound, and hopefully be able to hook it up to my 5.1 system in my living room.
You might need to use kx's drivers for that, as I don't think Creative's will output an AC3 signal (only ADPCM) natively through optical.

Edge
07-30-04, 02:29 PM
Only problem right now is my lack of 1gb memory, but I'm sellin stuff so that can happen... :D

Though you aren't going to be able to sell stuff if you DON'T REPLY TO THE PMS PEOPLE SEND YOU :D

(in response to the PM to your response to my original PM...umm, yeah)

You might need to use kx's drivers for that, as I don't think Creative's will output an AC3 signal (only ADPCM) natively through optical.

Really? OK thanks, good to know, I asked on the 3dsoundsurge forums but so far I haven't gotten a response yet (I guess they aren't quite as popular as Nvnews ;) ).

superklye
07-30-04, 02:32 PM
In my case it will, since my current Vortex 2 card doesn't really cut it anymore using Win2k (I can't even get 4 speaker surround sound out of it in games as far as I can tell). Was a great Win98 card for A3D, but the beta Win2k drivers are very obviously beta, and I've had a few problems with it in games already (like stereo being reversed, etc). With the Audigy 2, I can get full surround sound, and hopefully be able to hook it up to my 5.1 system in my living room. Not to mention 95% of games at least support Directsound 3d (which the Vortex 2 had flakey support in even with Win98), and ones that support EAX3.0 supposedly sound pretty good. And doesn't Doom 3 now support some kind of EAX effects because of that whole blackmailing thing? Or is the engine just "EAX enabled" but not actually being used in Doom 3?

Personally, I'd rather get a different card just so that I don't have a Creative product in my computer, but an Audigy 2 for $50 is just too tempting (though I might get my friend to buy it for me with his discount, which would bring it down to $42.50...)

All I know is what i read in the latest PCGamer. One of the designers on the game said that ALL sound was being processed on the CPU so soundcards have no impact on quality whatsoever.