PDA

View Full Version : Floppy disk access on screen resolution change???

Chippy
07-31-04, 02:44 AM
Just installed my new GF6800GT. Generally quite pleased, although it doesn't seem to be the overclocker I had hoped. (something in the region of 410/1060 seems to be about the limit - still testing)

Anyway, strange thing I notice: Ever time the screen resolution changes, or if I switch from 2d to 3d (i.e. desktop to any game), then the floppy disk gets accessed. Wierd. 3dmark is a complete pain, with floppy disk access going on all over the place.

Is this normal for nVidia, or GF6800GT's? I have not owned nVidia in many years, so I dunno.

I can see no reason why this floppy access should be happening. There is just one possible explanation I can think of, in that perhaps the 12v supply is momentarily dropping to a point where the floppy drive "resets". But perhaps I am over-analysing this because I have a $200 520w PSU with a 30A 12v rail. And the GF6800GT is connected all on its own to one of the 12v supplies. The floppy disk and hard disks are on another and the CD and DVD drives on the third.

So I can't see how power would be a problem.

Any ideas/comments?

Cheers,

Chip

Sniper_Merc
07-31-04, 04:32 AM
Disable your floppy drive in bios and unplug the power and data cables to it. Solves that problem real fast.

Chippy
07-31-04, 07:14 AM
Disable your floppy drive in bios and unplug the power and data cables to it. Solves that problem real fast.

... unless you want to use the floppy drive of course, which unfortunately I do.

Is this floppy-accessing normal?

Chip

Bah!
07-31-04, 08:47 AM
What drivers are you using? I just upgraded to the 61.77's and every time i run 3dmark it accesses my floppy drive, but it didnt with my last set 61.72.

Templar
07-31-04, 11:29 AM
doesnt make any sense accessing the floppy

Chippy
08-01-04, 05:01 AM
What drivers are you using? I just upgraded to the 61.77's and every time i run 3dmark it accesses my floppy drive, but it didnt with my last set 61.72.

I'm using 61.77. I haven't tried anything else, I simply downloaded the latest driver and installed the card. (Removed all the old ATI drvers thoroughly first of course.)

So you think its something to do with the 61.77's? Very odd. I have since noticed that it doesn't happen will ALL 3d games, but it does with most. When the card switches from 2d to 3d, there you go: floppy disk access. Very very odd. :hmmm:

Chip