PDA

View Full Version : Memory shortage cause low supply of cards?

wures7
07-31-04, 04:46 AM
I've been looking everywhere for a 6800GT(any brand but prefer BFG) and I can't find any. What's up with that? And I when I do find them, the prices are always marked-up close to the $500 level especially on Ebay. Same goes for the Ultra getting close to $600.

So is memory shortage the cause or are people buying more $400-$500 cards these days?

Sazar
07-31-04, 04:52 AM
if you look @ system builders they generally are supplied with a stock of the products... it seems both ati and nvidia and their partners are seeking to supply system builders first and foremost...

add to that likely lower yields due to new boards and of course what you suggest and there is a shortage :)

wrt prices there is apparently a massive demand for the cards (caused by the retail shortage) hence it would appear the retaillers can charge premium prices for a product thats likely got a buncha people willing to pay big bucks for it :)

YOGIx213
07-31-04, 05:18 AM
If you're interested in purchasing a 6800, I would recommend ordering directly from the builders themselves such as PNY or eVGA. They are taking preorders and they sell them for retail prices. You may have to wait in line, but you won't get gouged.

Son Goku
07-31-04, 06:28 AM
Yeah, don't buy these on Ebay unless you're really in a rush to get it. When things are in short supply and a few cards are auctioned off here or there, the bidding can get a bit high... It comes down to supply and demand largely, and especially in an environment where peeps can start out-bidding one another...

But if the manufacturers are selling to end consumers direct, and charging lower prices; buying from them sounds like a good idea if one isn't in that much of a rush... :D

Revgen
07-31-04, 12:31 PM
I've been looking everywhere for a 6800GT(any brand but prefer BFG) and I can't find any. What's up with that? And I when I do find them, the prices are always marked-up close to the $500 level especially on Ebay. Same goes for the Ultra getting close to $600.

So is memory shortage the cause or are people buying more $400-$500 cards these days?

Tell me about it!!

I ordered my BFG 6800 Ultra OC from Bestbuy on June 21st and received it July 29th. The big problem here is that the only manufacturer that makes GDDR-3 memory is Samsung.

DDR RAM for the 5900's and 9800's was manufactured by Hynix and Samsung, which brought competitive pricing and increased supplies. Unfortunately, games like Doom III, Half-Life 2, and Far Cry have been driving up demand for these newer cards and Samsung just isn't able to keep up by itself this time around.